• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 sdsman

sdsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

Because of issues with home connection, I am downloading through a high speed connection that has a proxy. I can't get the proxy to connect though to the updates, so I am just downloading core.zip. I had a 5 meg file from another site download in a few minutes, and so far I've tried to download the core.zip file 4 times and the maximum speed I am getting is 15k sec, so it was going to take almost an hour. Then the speed drops to 9k sec. The first time the download failed after getting about 6 meg.

#2 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:16 PM

Hi,

Firstly when you say you can't get the proxy to connect, have you tried entering the proxy settings in Ad-Aware's settings?

Secondly, you might find the download speed slow if there is heavy traffic on the server - this normally occurs when an update is just released (or when America wakes up).

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#3 sdsman

sdsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:46 PM

Hi,

Firstly when you say you can't get the proxy to connect, have you tried entering the proxy settings in Ad-Aware's settings?

Secondly, you might find the download speed slow if there is heavy traffic on the server - this normally occurs when an update is just released (or when America wakes up).

Casey

I have always had difficulty getting AdAware connecting through the proxy, even when I set the proxy and password correctly. It just times out. Also I'm eastern time Zone and I tried this before the majority of the USA wakes up. I just tried again. Still no luck.

#4 sdsman

sdsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:39 PM

I have always had difficulty getting AdAware connecting through the proxy, even when I set the proxy and password correctly. It just times out. Also I'm eastern time Zone and I tried this before the majority of the USA wakes up. I just tried again. Still no luck.

here's a picture when I downloaded itunes and adaware core.zip file.

Attached Thumbnails

• adawareupdate.JPG

#5 GoddersUK

GoddersUK

Valued Member/ Ad-Aware Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:26 AM

I've just checked the download over here and I've been getting varying speeds but nothing worse that 30kB/s, which while not fast shouldn't be unbearably slow.

Can I ask you not to cancel the download for 10 mins, no matter how slow it may seem, because I had a few that started off at 0.4bytes/s but then sped up. Let me know how this goes, thanks.

(it may have something to do with the fact that although it's supposed to redirect to mirrors all the downloads seemed to come from download.lavasoft.com.)

Thanks,

GoddersUK
If you are a paying user (Plus/Pro License) you should visit the Lavasoft Support Centre.

If you need help to remove an infection:

Read this first. Follow ALL the steps in it. If you do not then you will just be asked to go away and do so.
Then post your HJT log (copy and paste, don't attach) into a NEW topic in the HJT Log Forum
Await advice from either a Volunteer Security Advisor or a member of Lavasoft staff.

If you see anyone other than a VSA or Lavasoft staff member giving advice in the HijackThis forum please PM a mod.

DO NOT POST HJT LOGS IN ANY FORUM OTHER THAN THE OFFICIAL HJT LOG FORUM. We will be unable to deal with them there and will just tell you to go to the right place.

Please do NOT bump HijackThis log posts, it won't help you receive help any faster - the VSAs look for posts with zero replies. If after one week you have not received a response please repost your log file in a NEW thread.

#6 sdsman

sdsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

I've just checked the download over here and I've been getting varying speeds but nothing worse that 30kB/s, which while not fast shouldn't be unbearably slow.

Can I ask you not to cancel the download for 10 mins, no matter how slow it may seem, because I had a few that started off at 0.4bytes/s but then sped up. Let me know how this goes, thanks.

(it may have something to do with the fact that although it's supposed to redirect to mirrors all the downloads seemed to come from download.lavasoft.com.)

Thanks,

GoddersUK

I spent yesterday trying all day about every 20-30 minutes, and had the same results. However this morning, it downloaded in a minute and a half. Thanks for listening to me whine. :)

#7 GoddersUK

GoddersUK

Valued Member/ Ad-Aware Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:28 PM

No probs... guessing it must have been a problem with the servers.

Well I'll close the thread now, but if you have any more problems just start a new thread, or PM a mod and ask for this one to be reopened.

GoddersUK :)
If you are a paying user (Plus/Pro License) you should visit the Lavasoft Support Centre.

If you need help to remove an infection:

Read this first. Follow ALL the steps in it. If you do not then you will just be asked to go away and do so.
Then post your HJT log (copy and paste, don't attach) into a NEW topic in the HJT Log Forum
Await advice from either a Volunteer Security Advisor or a member of Lavasoft staff.

If you see anyone other than a VSA or Lavasoft staff member giving advice in the HijackThis forum please PM a mod.

DO NOT POST HJT LOGS IN ANY FORUM OTHER THAN THE OFFICIAL HJT LOG FORUM. We will be unable to deal with them there and will just tell you to go to the right place.

Please do NOT bump HijackThis log posts, it won't help you receive help any faster - the VSAs look for posts with zero replies. If after one week you have not received a response please repost your log file in a NEW thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users