#1 Firebird68

Firebird68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:28 AM

Avast! anti-virus
Spyware blaster
Standard windows firewall (Adaware checked in exceptions)

Sorry to be redundant here, as I stated this in another post a few minutes ago, but I figured I would post my own issue as it is kind of different than the one I replied to.

The problem I'm having (besides Adaware not running) is I can not get Lavasoft/Adaware recognized as a service on my system. I've looked thru numerous other posts & have tried about everything I can think of... including un-installing Adaware AE, then removing all registry traces with CCleaner, then re-installing Adaware AE.

I also tried right clicking the AAWService file & running as administator (me). It asks me which user I want to use to run the program. If current user (me with admin rights) is selected, there is a check box that says " protect my computer & data from unauthorized program activity". If that box is selected & I run it, I get a error saying "This program requires administrative rights" with a open DOS window diplaying ERR (random 4 digit #) & something about debugtools.
If I un-check this box and run the file using the default selection as me, or type in my login & PW in the other user area, a DOS type window flashes up for a second or two & nothing. Still no listing in the services list.

Hopefully someone knows what I need to do....Thanks in advance!

#2 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:43 PM

Hi,

Is it possible that Avast! or Spyware blaster prevented Ad-Aware from installing the service when you first installed it?

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#3 Firebird68

Firebird68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

I've never had this much trouble getting any software to work... be it paid for or free. It should not be this difficult.
I actaully had Avast! disabled when I downloaded it the last time & still no-go. I guess I'll try disableing Avast & Spyware blaster too this time & see what happens. Sorry to vent here a little , I'm just frustrated with the whole thing.... :blink:

I've used Adaware for years prior to the aniversary edition coming out & it always loaded & worked flawlessly. I tried getting adaware AE to work months ago as well with no luck & figured I would wait a while for the developers to get the kinks out & try it again. I can't see that much has changed since I tried using it the last time. Seeing how many folks are having many of the same issues & other problems, you would think the developers would want to fix these issues. :)

Edited by Firebird68, 31 May 2009 - 08:32 PM.

#4 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:48 PM

Ok.

Well unfortunately the version you are trying to install hasn't changed at all. At the moment, the installer will install 8.0.0 and then update - but this requires you to have first installed!

Secondly, how did you uninstall the previous versions?

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#5 Firebird68

Firebird68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:14 PM

I believe when I went to do an update for the prior verion of Adaware, I was advised that the AE was out & went to do the update to the new version. I'm not 100% sure, as it was a few months ago. I've seached high & low that all prior adaware stuff is not on my system when I have re-installed counless times including registry stuff.

I just got done disabling Avast & spyware blaster & re-installing AE. Still no luck. It does not registrer in services. When I try to start the service with the AAWService file, it either gives me a adminstrator error, or a quick popup box comes up & nothing. Still no service listed. As I have administrator rights on my system, I'm not sure why I would get that error.

On the last install, prior to the reboot a warning box also popped up & said cannot connect, check your settings. Do you have any idea what settings would this be referring to?

I did check something in the Computer management area of my computer under applications & found errors to do with lavasoft, here is a copy of the message:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Could not upgrade process privileges to SE_DEBUG_NAME.

I'm not sure what this means, but it sounds like it's miss a DLL file or something. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

#6 GoddersUK

GoddersUK

Valued Member/ Ad-Aware Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:51 AM

Hi,

Can you please go to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\drivers\32 (subst. the 32 for a 64 if you're on an x64 os), find the file "lbd.inf", right click it and click "install".

Please let us know if this solves your problem,

Thanks,
GoddersUK
If you are a paying user (Plus/Pro License) you should visit the Lavasoft Support Centre.

If you need help to remove an infection:

Read this first. Follow ALL the steps in it. If you do not then you will just be asked to go away and do so.
Then post your HJT log (copy and paste, don't attach) into a NEW topic in the HJT Log Forum
Await advice from either a Volunteer Security Advisor or a member of Lavasoft staff.

If you see anyone other than a VSA or Lavasoft staff member giving advice in the HijackThis forum please PM a mod.

DO NOT POST HJT LOGS IN ANY FORUM OTHER THAN THE OFFICIAL HJT LOG FORUM. We will be unable to deal with them there and will just tell you to go to the right place.

Please do NOT bump HijackThis log posts, it won't help you receive help any faster - the VSAs look for posts with zero replies. If after one week you have not received a response please repost your log file in a NEW thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users