• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 ecko999

ecko999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:40 AM

It comes up with the splash screen that says Loading...than nothing happens after that.

Windows XP
I had Spybot, but uninstalled it.

Edited by ecko999, 28 May 2009 - 04:33 AM.

#2 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hi,

please try updating the program from the start menu. start > programs > Lavasoft > Ad-Aware > Ad-Aware updates

Then see if you can start the program, if not does an error box pop up?

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#3 ecko999

ecko999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

During the update it seems to be stuck on Reinitializing components. Unless this part takes a while? Well I closed it and tried to update again and I got a message that the software is up to date.

Tried opening Ad-aware....nothing happens still. No pop-up either.

Edited by ecko999, 28 May 2009 - 05:00 PM.

#4 razz3333

razz3333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

During the update it seems to be stuck on Reinitializing components. Unless this part takes a while? Well I closed it and tried to update again and I got a message that the software is up to date.

Tried opening Ad-aware....nothing happens still. No pop-up either.

ecko999, you are not alone. I have exactly the same problem. Since I updated from the free version of Ad-Aware 2008 to the Anniversary Edition, I have not been able to even open it. I tried what you have tried and still nothing. Hopefully someone will help us soon. I wonder if the Anniversarry Edition only comes as a paid version?

#5 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:17 PM

@ecko999,

please verify that the Ad-Aware service is running: start > run > services.msc>. find Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service and check its status

@razz3333,

lol no it does, of course, come as a free version. there is just obviously something wrong with the way Ad-Aware is interacting with the set up on your computers

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#6 ecko999

ecko999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

There's nothing in services under Lavasoft or Ad-Aware.

#7 razz3333

razz3333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:33 PM

@ecko999,

please verify that the Ad-Aware service is running: start > run > services.msc>. find Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service and check its status

@razz3333,

lol no it does, of course, come as a free version. there is just obviously something wrong with the way Ad-Aware is interacting with the set up on your computers

casey-boy, my problem is solved. I read what you said to ecko999 about checking to see if the service is running. It was not. After I started the service all seems ok.

It was on "Manual", should I change that to "Automatic"?

Thanks!

Edited by razz3333, 28 May 2009 - 10:38 PM.

#8 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:56 PM

@ecko999, therein lies your problem, the UI needs to connect to the service when it loads - if there is no service then there is no loading! Please navigate to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware and right click on AAWService and run as an admin. See if you can then open the program.

@razz3333, you can have the service set to manaul, but you will need to start it every time you want to load Ad-Aware - I would recommend that you do, in fact, set it to automatic.

Casey

Edited by casey_boy, 28 May 2009 - 10:57 PM.

#9 razz3333

razz3333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:07 AM

@razz3333, you can have the service set to manaul, but you will need to start it every time you want to load Ad-Aware - I would recommend that you do, in fact, set it to automatic.

Casey

I will set it to automatic as you recommend. One more question....I believe that Ad-Watch used to be a service only for paying customers, is this correct?
Not sure if it still is because I just noticed that the service is turned off and the icon in my tray says to restart my computer to finalize installation of Ad-Watch Live. I rebooted and it's still the same.
Thank you for your very prompt help Casey, I appreciate it.

Edited by razz3333, 29 May 2009 - 12:32 AM.

#10 ecko999

ecko999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:40 AM

It said this program requires Admin rights, but my account is Admin. There's only 1 account on my computer and that is mine with Admin rights.

#11 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:44 AM

@razz3333,

No, not anymore. Ad-Watch is available for all users :) Try the following:

For a 32bit operating system.
Go to, (the default installed location)
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\drivers\32
Right click on the 'lbd.inf' file and choose install, reboot the computer.

For a 64bit operating system.
C:\Program Files(x86)\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\drivers\64

@ecko999, did you right click on chose run as an administrator?

#12 ecko999

ecko999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:01 AM

When I select Run As... I get Current User (which is me) or The Following User (have to enter username/pw)

#13 Firebird68

Firebird68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:07 AM

I am having the exact same problem. I can not get Adaware listed in the services area. I am the administator on my computer & when I try to run it under my login, as checked it still fails to list it as a service. Any help further would be greatly appreciated.

#14 razz3333

razz3333

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:16 AM

@razz3333,

No, not anymore. Ad-Watch is available for all users :) Try the following:

For a 32bit operating system.
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\drivers\32

Worked great. Thank you again for all your help. You were right on the money each time.

#15 ecko999

ecko999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:53 AM

Must be something wrong with this AE. So many similar topics regarding this issue. I have yet to fix it.

#16 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:58 AM

Is there anything you could think of which might be blocking the installation of the service? Other security software, software policies or malware?

#17 ecko999

ecko999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:56 AM

Only thing I have is BitDefender and it hasn't prompted me if Ad-aware should be allowed or not.

#18 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:09 PM

Still, it might be worth disabling that momentarily whilst you try to install Ad-Aware.

#19 ecko999

ecko999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:27 AM

Nope that still doesn't work. What about the Run As problem I described earlier? It says I need admin rights but I am admin lol.

#20 GoddersUK

GoddersUK

Valued Member/ Ad-Aware Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:57 AM

If you're using Windows Vista right click and select "Run as Administrator".

Also please try navigating to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\drivers\32 (switching 32 for 64 if you have an x64 os), select lbd.inf, right click it and click install.

Thanks,

GoddersUK
If you are a paying user (Plus/Pro License) you should visit the Lavasoft Support Centre.

If you need help to remove an infection:

Read this first. Follow ALL the steps in it. If you do not then you will just be asked to go away and do so.
Then post your HJT log (copy and paste, don't attach) into a NEW topic in the HJT Log Forum
Await advice from either a Volunteer Security Advisor or a member of Lavasoft staff.

If you see anyone other than a VSA or Lavasoft staff member giving advice in the HijackThis forum please PM a mod.

DO NOT POST HJT LOGS IN ANY FORUM OTHER THAN THE OFFICIAL HJT LOG FORUM. We will be unable to deal with them there and will just tell you to go to the right place.

Please do NOT bump HijackThis log posts, it won't help you receive help any faster - the VSAs look for posts with zero replies. If after one week you have not received a response please repost your log file in a NEW thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users