• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkette

Hawkette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

I recently re-installed Ad-Aware Free Edition. Everything seems to be working, but the Ad-Aware folder opens on startup. It does not start a computer scan, just opens the folder. I read in the archive that someone had this problem and was advised to udpate all files and then retry. There are no posts after that, so I assume it worked for him, but that has not worked for me. Any other suggestions on how to fix this bug in the software? It's very annoying.

Thanks!

#2 Raziel v. Nosgoth

Raziel v. Nosgoth

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 3114 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:57 PM

Hawkette
what do you want
prevent AE from autostart ?
Are you able to run a manually scan ?
Plz provide information about your O/S and the installed security software
Raziel
vae victis
( morituri te salutant )

#3 Hawkette

Hawkette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:01 PM

Hi Raziel,
I want to stop the folder from opening. The software runs automatically, so there is no need for the folder to open.

I am running it on XP. I can start a scan and all that. Everything is working fine -- except for that annoying window. :D

Thanks!

#4 Raziel v. Nosgoth

Raziel v. Nosgoth

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 3114 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:17 PM

1. download the 'Revo uninstaller' ( you need it to prevent an autostart)
2. open AE -- Settings -- Update -- forbid auto updates
3. next tab is 'Ad-Watch Live' -- general -- uncheck 'process protection'
4. now open 'Revo' >> Tools -- 'Autorun Manager' -- uncheck Ad-Watch
you should get an info pop up from the sys.tray -- that tells you AWL is deleted from the auto start list.

Be aware, if you choose to use an other Autostart Manager than Revo, you'll
probably not able to re-start the autorun-function with only one click.
vae victis
( morituri te salutant )

#5 GoddersUK

GoddersUK

Valued Member/ Ad-Aware Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:42 PM

@Raz - his problem is that Windows Explorer is running at start up, pointing to C:/Program Files/Lavasoft/Ad-Aware

As regards solving the problem I have no idea, although I did experience the same thing with a different program once... never did solve that one though (except by deleting the folder). I'd imagine something goes wrong during the install with Windows Installer, but that's just me hypothesising.
If you are a paying user (Plus/Pro License) you should visit the Lavasoft Support Centre.

If you need help to remove an infection:

Read this first. Follow ALL the steps in it. If you do not then you will just be asked to go away and do so.
Then post your HJT log (copy and paste, don't attach) into a NEW topic in the HJT Log Forum
Await advice from either a Volunteer Security Advisor or a member of Lavasoft staff.

If you see anyone other than a VSA or Lavasoft staff member giving advice in the HijackThis forum please PM a mod.

DO NOT POST HJT LOGS IN ANY FORUM OTHER THAN THE OFFICIAL HJT LOG FORUM. We will be unable to deal with them there and will just tell you to go to the right place.

Please do NOT bump HijackThis log posts, it won't help you receive help any faster - the VSAs look for posts with zero replies. If after one week you have not received a response please repost your log file in a NEW thread.

#6 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

Hi,

Have a read of this topic and see if it helps: http://www.lavasofts...=startup folder

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#7 Raziel v. Nosgoth

Raziel v. Nosgoth

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 3114 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

Hawkette
should the Revo workaround not match
follow the link in cas's post
Raziel

Edited by Raziel v. Nosgoth, 06 May 2009 - 08:24 AM.
spell

vae victis
( morituri te salutant )

#8 Hawkette

Hawkette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:09 PM

Thanks, all. I've been reluctant to try the Revo workaround as I am not terribly familiar with such and don't want to end up causing more problems.

I did follow the instructions in the link, but there was nothing related to Ad-Aware listed in Startup. The only suspect was one unnamed one, but I can't view the entire file location, so I can't find out where or what it is. (Screenshot is attached.) I tried searching for the HKLM folder (including hidden and system folders in my search), but came up with nothing.

Do you think uninstalling and reinstalling this blasted software would do any good?

Attached Images

• Startup.jpg

#9 Hawkette

Hawkette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:10 PM

I should add that the window will not show the entire file location -- not by dragging the column size wider, can't make the box larger, and mouseover has no effect.

Thanks!

#10 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:12 PM

I think that's because the program has changed a bit since then so I guess it'd be the AAWTray app.

However, a reinstall might be the best option. Sorry we have no definitive answers for you!

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#11 Hawkette

Hawkette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:24 PM

I really appreciate all the help. I'll give the tray app a try. Thanks!

#12 Hawkette

Hawkette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:30 PM

Actually, I found something interesting. When I went back to disable it, I found two similar trays (shown in the attachment). However, when I went to the command locations, the 2007 folder does not exist. (This is likely from the upgrade we just did.) Perhaps the program brings up the parent folder because it cannot locate the 2007 folder? I will disable that tray and let you know if it fixes the problem.

Attached Images

• Startup2.jpg

#13 Hawkette

Hawkette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:11 PM

Well, this appears to be the problem, but you can't just disable the darn thing and get on with life. When you disable one and restart, the computer starts in limited mode and brings up a dialog box. You can switch it to Normal startup, but it then enables all your startup apps, including the one I want gone. You can't just click on it to delete it. I snooped around in the registry (learned all about what HKCU and HKLM are), but did not find anything that seemed safe enough to delete. So I just created a folder called Ad-Aware 2007 and placed the offending tray app in it, but the machine ignores it.

So to summarize:
1. If you disable it and restart, the Ad-Aware folder does not open, but you can't leave that as a permanent fix because then the Config box keeps popping up asking you to start in Normal mode.

2. I can't find where to delete the command that is running.

3. Creating the path for the file it wanted did not work, and the original Ad-Aware folder still opens up.

4. Lavasoft deserves a lot of hate mail for all the time I've had to spend on this. :angry:

Anyone have any recommendations?

#14 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

You can disable the config window by clicking on it I believe. :angry:

Did you try a reinstall?

#15 Hawkette

Hawkette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:59 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Yeah, we reinstalled and hubby went in and edited the registry to make sure it was gone. Things are better now. It appears to be a programming error looking for that 2007 folder.

Thanks, everyone, for your help!

#16 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

No problem and thanks for letting us know about the resolution!

I'll close this topic now, if you need it reopening, then PM any moderator.

Casey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users