14 replies to this topic

#1 devil in red

devil in red

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:40 PM

Hey guys,

I've been using Lavasoft ad-aware free for many years and have had n problems with it....

but recently, I had to do a full system recovery on HP Pavillion dv7-1050ea and I reinstalled all my programs. Ad-aware was one of them. But every time I try to run it from the desktop shortcut, the loading screen comes up...and stays for a couple of minutes, then disappears. Sometimes, it just stays and locks up.

I would very much appreciate it if any one could please help me with this issue, as I very much like using ad-aware due to it's simple and great capabilities.

Thank you!

#2 Raziel v. Nosgoth

Raziel v. Nosgoth

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 3114 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:51 PM

Hi :D
I need information about your O/S / RAM / installed security software.
What type of LS licence is installed free/plus/pro ?
Regards
Raziel :lol:
vae victis
( morituri te salutant )

#3 devil in red

devil in red

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

Hi :D
I need information about your O/S / RAM / installed security software.
What type of LS licence is installed free/plus/pro ?
Regards
Raziel :lol:

Hey there,
I'm using windows vista home prem. 32 bit, 4.00Gb RAM.
The licence is free, and for anti-virus I use comodo and as a firewall I have a paid version of zone alarm pro.

With these same settings / same security software, it was working fine before my windows screwed up. After the system recovery, it no longer works.
:/

#4 GoddersUK

GoddersUK

Valued Member/ Ad-Aware Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

Hi,

Please go to start>run>"services.msc" and ensure that the "Lavasoft Ad-Aware service" is running.

Post back and let us know what the status of that is.
If you are a paying user (Plus/Pro License) you should visit the Lavasoft Support Centre.

If you need help to remove an infection:

Read this first. Follow ALL the steps in it. If you do not then you will just be asked to go away and do so.
Then post your HJT log (copy and paste, don't attach) into a NEW topic in the HJT Log Forum
Await advice from either a Volunteer Security Advisor or a member of Lavasoft staff.

If you see anyone other than a VSA or Lavasoft staff member giving advice in the HijackThis forum please PM a mod.

DO NOT POST HJT LOGS IN ANY FORUM OTHER THAN THE OFFICIAL HJT LOG FORUM. We will be unable to deal with them there and will just tell you to go to the right place.

Please do NOT bump HijackThis log posts, it won't help you receive help any faster - the VSAs look for posts with zero replies. If after one week you have not received a response please repost your log file in a NEW thread.

#5 AndyW

AndyW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

I've had the self-same issue.

Running services.msc, I start the service, but get an error returned saying "Error 3 - The system cannot find the path specified"

#6 devil in red

devil in red

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:37 PM

Hey,

I did as you asked, and on starting the service, I get this windows message:

"The Lavasoft Ad-aware service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

Currently the Ad-aware service is set to start automatically....

#7 GoddersUK

GoddersUK

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

Hi,

Can you please navigate to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\ and tell me whether or not a file called AAWService.exe exists.

Thanks

EDIT: @ AndyW ^

Edited by GoddersUK, 29 April 2009 - 07:18 PM.

If you are a paying user (Plus/Pro License) you should visit the Lavasoft Support Centre.

Read this first. Follow ALL the steps in it. If you do not then you will just be asked to go away and do so.
Then post your HJT log (copy and paste, don't attach) into a NEW topic in the HJT Log Forum
Await advice from either a Volunteer Security Advisor or a member of Lavasoft staff.

If you see anyone other than a VSA or Lavasoft staff member giving advice in the HijackThis forum please PM a mod.

DO NOT POST HJT LOGS IN ANY FORUM OTHER THAN THE OFFICIAL HJT LOG FORUM. We will be unable to deal with them there and will just tell you to go to the right place.

Please do NOT bump HijackThis log posts, it won't help you receive help any faster - the VSAs look for posts with zero replies. If after one week you have not received a response please repost your log file in a NEW thread.

#8 leisenmenger21

leisenmenger21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

I am having the same problems. When I try to open AdAware AE, the box comes up and says loading and then just disappears without opening AdAware. How do I fix this??

Edited by leisenmenger21, 29 April 2009 - 05:54 PM.

#9 devil in red

devil in red

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:44 PM

Yes the AAWSERVICE.exe file is there

#10 GoddersUK

GoddersUK

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

Hi, devil in red, my post above was aimed at AndyW, I seem to have missed yours when I wrote that. You mention you've performed a system restore. Based on that I think the most efficient method to try and solve your problem will be to reinstall Ad-Aware.

@ leisenmenger21 - Please read this thread and try the instructions herein and if you still can't get it to work please start a NEW thread, explaining your problem with information such as operating system and other security software,

All the best, GoddersUK

#11 devil in red

devil in red

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

Hey there GoddersUK,
having performed a destructive system restore, Ad-aware was one of the first programs I installed. However when it wouldn't work, I tried un-installing it and re-installing it. That has had no postive change regarding this problem.

#12 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

devil in red,

Can I just ask has your computer been infected with malware? Either at present or at the time from which the system restore was taken? If so, that might explain why the service gets stopped.

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#13 devil in red

devil in red

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:03 PM

Hey there Casey-boy.
thank you for your suggestion. After my computer was restored, I am sure in saying there is no malware on my computer. HOWEVER, I say this having run just a virus scan using comodo anti-virus.

I would use Ad-Aware but I can't get that up and running atm.

Any advice on which other program I can use to run a malware check?

thanx

#14 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:21 PM

Hi again :)

Could you check the error message in the Event Viewer. Details here.

It will be helpful to see if it says anything about what stopped the service.

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#15 devil in red

devil in red

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:22 PM

Hey Casey,

I checked the windows logs as you suggested and found no logs indicating anything that may have caused Ad-Aware to close after the splash screen.

I got fed up, uninstalled the program and for a few days, installed a few others, such as Spybot search and Destroy and also Syware Terminator.

Today I decided to give Ad-aware one more shot and guess what? IT WORKED :D

In the last few days, using te other programs I found zilch. I just ran a scan with ad-aware and found 36 infections.

So the problems been solved [after the 4th re-install] but I'd like to say my thanks to all those who helped me in solving this issue. Your help was very much appreciated!

=]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users