Ok so today there was a new definition released (0148.0017). I did the procedure I described below (replacing the 8.0.4 AAWService.exe with the older one from 8.0.3) and it updated to the new definition file. It naturally also updated the AAWService.exe file back to the 8.0.4 version and rebroke the update but until Lavasoft fixes this atleast I can "easily" ensure my AdAware remains current and up to date...
Is this issue acknowledged by Lavasoft and being looked into?
Thanks and I hope this helps,
OK, I work in the Automated Testing space and have worked for Compuware, Mercury Interactive and Worksoft. I have over 15 years in this domain and decided to do a bit of digging into this issue for our Lavasoft developpers. Here's what I've found.
With the upgrade to 8.0.4 from 8.0.3 the AAWService.exe file has been updated. The new version actually has a new Digital signature dated April 21st 2009 the old one had a date on the signature of March 9th 2009.... I took a copy of the old file AAWService.exe from my Vista Shadow Copied file and overwrite the newer one (after stopping the Lavasoft service and exiting AdAWare AE). I then restarted AdAware and lo and behold, Update now no longer has the UAC prompt that started with 8.0.4 come up AND I no longer get the error on updates, it runs, updates AAWService.exe to the newer version, restarts and the error is back in effect, UAC popup and "Connection Error, Check your settings" when I try and click update... so it is clearly something with the new version of the AAWService.exe file.... I can repeat this process as many times as I like. Copy over the new AAWService.exe file with the older one, restart AE, click on update, it installs the newer version of the file and BOOM, I can no longer update. This file was broken or something happened with the Certificate as it is now requiring UAC popup and no longer works.
Hope this helps in identifying the root cause and fixing the problem. :-)
Edited by Kheldan, 24 April 2009 - 12:47 PM.