• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bookmaker

Bookmaker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

I have spent a lot of time trying to update to adware 2008 AE. The program will download and install. I am ready to scan the machine so I click on the adware icon, a nice dialog box appears displaying "AdWare anniversary edtion" then it fades away and nothing more happens!

I have downloaded it numerous times, removed it serveral times but results are the same. With adware 2007 at least I was scanning my machine, but now nothing happens.

Have you seen this before?

Running XP SP3.

Thank you,

Mark

#2 Raziel v. Nosgoth

Raziel v. Nosgoth

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 3114 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:51 AM

Hi :D
plz provide information about the installed security-software.
Thx
Raziel ;)
vae victis
( morituri te salutant )

#3 bsealy1

bsealy1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:55 AM

Windows XP SP 3 on a 2GHZ CPU with 1.5GB RAM running Zonealarm Pro, AVAST AV, Spybot S&D 6.2 with Teatimer (all these where disabled during installations)

After installing the ad-aware ae multiple times I noticed that the services control panel app in windows shows the aawservice as manual and that the ad-aware ae service doesn't have a file listed to run so that's why it won't work. I dug into the registry and searched for aawservice and found that [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\aawservice] is missing the "ImagePath" key that the other controlset's (controlset002 and controlset004, controlset001 didn't have a services branch) have. Since I changed the description key so I could find out which controlset was starting the aawservice I saw that controlset003 was the one my user login was controlling so I added the missing key and put in the path to the aawservice.exe and now the program runs.

After reading the above info I searched my registry for aawservice and found 3 listings
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\aawservice]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\aawservice]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet004\Services\aawservice]

They all had the ImagePath key however two referenced: C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Ware\aawservice.exe
while the third one read: C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Ware 2007\aawservice.exe

I changed the value of the third key to match the other two, rebooted and now it works.

Before I installed Ad-Ware AE I had the 2007 version which I had deleted thru Control Panel/Add Programs prior to installing AE. Apparently this one value in the registry didn't get deleted with the un-install of 2007 or updated with the new install of AE or both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users