• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 -KiKi-

-KiKi-

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:57 AM

Why is it that I can run all of my other anti-malware/spyware programs in Safe Mode, but I'm not allowed to run Ad-Aware?

Whenever I try to run Ad-Aware in Safe Mode, this Application Error box pops up with this message:

"Exception EAccessViolation in module Ad-Aware.exe at 001F4B58. Access violation at address 005F4b58 in module 'Ad-Aware.exe'. Read of address 00000418."

For some reason, I'm allowed to run Ad-Aware in Safe Mode on my mom's computer. I can't understand why I can't run it in Safe Mode on mine though.

I have Windows XP Professional and my mom has Windows XP Home Edition. Do the operating systems have something to do with it?

Is it okay if I continue running Ad-Aware in normal mode?

Edited by -KiKi-, 19 February 2009 - 07:58 AM.

#2 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

Hi,

Your OS makes no difference :)

Does Ad-Aware (or any of your other security software) ever detect any infections on your computer, especially any they haven't been able to remove? Please run a scan with all of them (not at the same time :lol:) and check.

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#3 GoddersUK

GoddersUK

Valued Member/ Ad-Aware Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

Just to add to that:

Access violations are often the result of DEP problems (or AAW writing to the wrong part of the memory).

Please see attached for how to check this.

Thanks.

Attached Files

If you are a paying user (Plus/Pro License) you should visit the Lavasoft Support Centre.

If you need help to remove an infection:

Read this first. Follow ALL the steps in it. If you do not then you will just be asked to go away and do so.
Then post your HJT log (copy and paste, don't attach) into a NEW topic in the HJT Log Forum
Await advice from either a Volunteer Security Advisor or a member of Lavasoft staff.

If you see anyone other than a VSA or Lavasoft staff member giving advice in the HijackThis forum please PM a mod.

DO NOT POST HJT LOGS IN ANY FORUM OTHER THAN THE OFFICIAL HJT LOG FORUM. We will be unable to deal with them there and will just tell you to go to the right place.

Please do NOT bump HijackThis log posts, it won't help you receive help any faster - the VSAs look for posts with zero replies. If after one week you have not received a response please repost your log file in a NEW thread.

#4 -KiKi-

-KiKi-

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

Hi,

Your OS makes no difference :)

Does Ad-Aware (or any of your other security software) ever detect any infections on your computer, especially any they haven't been able to remove? Please run a scan with all of them (not at the same time :)) and check.

Casey

I run my McAfee antivirus program, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntiSpyware, and Ad-Aware. The only program that detects the same type of infection all the time is SuperAntiSpyware. It keeps detecting an infection labeled "Unclassified.Unknown Origin" in the same registry key everytime I run the scan. I can't seem to get rid of it.

Other than that, I haven't had any other problems. I was just curious as to why I can run Ad-Aware in normal mode without a problem, but I can't run it in Safe Mode because of that Application Error that keeps occurring everytime I try to run it in Safe Mode.

#5 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:18 PM

Hmmm. I'm not sure.

Sometimes this error can be caused due to an infection preventing ad-aware from loading, or as Godders points out DEP - please double check this using his guide.

Would you please post a Hijack This log in the appropriate forum and explain why I have asked you to. Instructions are given in my signature.

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users