#1 sagiXxXx

sagiXxXx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

I can't update and download Definitions in Ad-Aware SE Professional

it just stay stuck in 5%....

and when i try to download Defenitions from the Lavasoft site it wont download.

thx for who ever helps me :D

#2 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

That edition of Ad-Aware expired long ago. Sign in to the Support Center to get the latest version of Ad-Aware Pro here:
https://secure.lavas.../supportcenter/
Please do NOT send Private Messages to Staff or helpers to request assistance! We do not give a personal support via PM The way to request help is to post a NEW TOPIC in the appropriate forum.

Look for the *New Topic* Button near the top right when viewing the forums.

Here in the forums, replies are posted to topics only. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Plus and Pro Ad-Aware users (only) may use the Support Center for personal assistance:
Support Center

Microsoft MVP/Windows - Security 2003-2009

#3 Jaheira

Jaheira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:36 AM

sagi, if you're using Windows 2000/XP/Vista, then do as CalamityJ says and upgrade to the latest version of Ad-Aware.

If you're using an older operating system, then get back to me, and I'll advise you on your options..............

#4 Dennis Towle Jr

Dennis Towle Jr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

sagi, if you're using Windows 2000/XP/Vista, then do as CalamityJ says and upgrade to the latest version of Ad-Aware.

If you're using an older operating system, then get back to me, and I'll advise you on your options..............

My wife's PC has WinME, cannot upgrade any higher due to processor constraints. So I am forced to stay with Ad-Aware SE Personal. The program says my defs are 700 days old, but no matter what defs file I paste into the folder, the program responds that the defs file is corrupt. The original defs file is 942 KB, these new ones are 7,323 KB - so am I getting the correct defs file in the first place?

#5 Jaheira

Jaheira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

My wife's PC has WinME, cannot upgrade any higher due to processor constraints. So I am forced to stay with Ad-Aware SE Personal. The program says my defs are 700 days old, but no matter what defs file I paste into the folder, the program responds that the defs file is corrupt. The original defs file is 942 KB, these new ones are 7,323 KB - so am I getting the correct defs file in the first place?

I think we had this discussion a few months back Dennis!

The latest defs files for Ad-Aware SE haven't worked with ME/98 since last May. If you're using an older os and you want to continue using SE then you'll have to use a definitions file 9 months out of date. This means your spyware checker is worse than useless!

Your only real option is to use an alternative product that still fully supports 98/ME, such as:-

#6 Dennis Towle Jr

Dennis Towle Jr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:04 PM

I think we had this discussion a few months back Dennis!

The latest defs files for Ad-Aware SE haven't worked with ME/98 since last May. If you're using an older os and you want to continue using SE then you'll have to use a definitions file 9 months out of date. This means your spyware checker is worse than useless!

Your only real option is to use an alternative product that still fully supports 98/ME, such as:-

OK, just thought that someone at Lavasoft might have taken the time to correct this problem... seems like no company out in cyberworld thinks that anyone has old OS's!

#7 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:00 PM

Unfortunately, LS can't correct the problem. The program is dead, no support is offered nor are any fixes. It's just the same with any product or OS.

Companies realise people have old OSs but they can't possible support them all! I mean, even the creators of them (MS) don't! It would be a bad business manouver really - more hassle than it's worth I guess.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#8 sagiXxXx

sagiXxXx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for any1 who answered my question ;)

but i have Windows XP Professional, so i guess i need to get the latest version of Ad-Aware....

What is the best Ad-Aware you recommend me to use?

Thanks again ! :D

(and sorry for my bad English =/)

Edited by sagiXxXx, 12 February 2009 - 01:09 PM.

#9 Raziel v. Nosgoth

Raziel v. Nosgoth

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 3114 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

Hi :D
try to run an update to AE.
Should you get any problems during the install-process, plz start a NEW thread.
Regards
Raziel ;)
vae victis
( morituri te salutant )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users