• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kcsma78

kcsma78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:46 AM

I am having a problem with my McAfee subscription that I see several other people are having. My problem is that I am not able to uninstall Ad-Aware. I would like to uninstall Ad-Aware, get McAfee back (as I have now lost it) and then reinstall Ad-Aware. I just renewed my subsription to McAfee and don't really want to lose it now as I just paid for it.

When I first tried to uninstall I got a message that I was missing the file that I needed to uninstall. I then tried to find all of the program files (as explained to me by the Lavasoft web-site) and delete them, empty the recycle bin, and restart. That still did not work. McAfee told me it was still on my system. I then tried to reinstall Ad-aware, then uninstall, find any remaining files with the names Lavasoft or Ad-Aware, delete them, empty the trash & restart. McAfee still says it is on my system.

I just was on McAfee's website - and had a live chat with a "technical advisor" - who was no help at all. :P I told him how upset I am by this but they don't care. They tell me that I need to contact Lavasoft to help me remove the program.

Could somebody Please help me with this?!?!

#2 SkittlesPC

SkittlesPC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:23 AM

These two threads might be of interest to you. More conversations on the McAfee/Ad-Aware conflict.

http://www.lavasofts...?showtopic=2304

http://www.lavasofts...?showtopic=1207
SkittlesPC

Security Central - Free Malware Removal

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced...

#3 kcsma78

kcsma78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:30 AM

I found this information through one of the above links, then to another link, then a search on McAfee's forum. I am posting it here to let you know that this solved my problem. I hope it can help anyone else who has this problem.

I'm not sure why the "technical advisor" for McAfee was not aware of this, considering it is on their forum. I thought that at least those on this forum should know about this problem, in order to help others like myself who were ready to shoot the computer and throw it out the window.

Without removing this registry key, VirusScan will not install on your sysem.

mzhou wrote:
Check if there is any Ad-Aware or Ad-Watch entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall. If existing, backup this registry key, then delete it (You may need to manually remove other left registry keys and files).

McAfee SystemGuard, part of VS 11, provides similar system protections Ad-Watch does.

1. Open Regedit.
2. Find and delete rogue uninstall entry; previous registry clean-up missed that line.
3. Run McAfee master download program, install new VirusScan.
4. Reboot computer.
5. Log on to McAfeehelp.com, bring up this thread, quote message, write reply.
6. Try to figure out what I have forgotten. Oh, I know, THANK YOU!

I now have McAfee back and in business, and will now reinstall Ad-Aware. When my subscription to McAfee runs out I will be looking for another anti-virus program that is not such a pain in the rear.

Thanks.

#4 SkittlesPC

SkittlesPC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:47 AM

I now have McAfee back and in business, and will now reinstall Ad-Aware. When my subscription to McAfee runs out I will be looking for another anti-virus program that is not such a pain in the rear.

Thanks.

Might I suggest AVG. http://grisoft.com/d...ng/us/tpl/tpl01 when you decide to change AV's. It is free and it is very good. I have used it for years and it is the AV that I put on most computers of those whom I help. I highly recommend it. Avast is another great one.

Thanks for the great info, we will pass the info on to others who may come in here with the same problem. :P
SkittlesPC

Security Central - Free Malware Removal

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users