• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sundown

Sundown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:21 PM

I just installed the free AE version of Ad-Aware. The new version always starts ad-watch when I start the computer. In the old version, I was able to disable this in my setting options so that I could manually start ad-watch after I started the computer.

Does anyone know how this can be done in the new AE version?

Thanks

#2 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:27 PM

Hi,

Ad-aware > Settings > Ad-watch live! > untick all three modules

then when you want to start the modules go to:

ad-aware > ad-watch > click on the modules you want to turn on

Casey

Edited by casey_boy, 22 January 2009 - 05:29 PM.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#3 countcristo

countcristo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:35 PM

Hi,

Ad-aware > Settings > Ad-watch live! > untick all three modules

then when you want to start the modules go to:

ad-aware > ad-watch > click on the modules you want to turn on

Casey

I have done this, restarted it and two processes of ad-aware still start up. I haven't had this problem before the anniversary edition, so I'm uninstalling it.

P.S. Yes, I am a minimalist, who believes that if it doesn't need to run then it shouldn't be running in the background. Sort of the same approach as how the Windows 7 development team is going about their new OS.

#4 darkgreen

darkgreen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:27 PM

I have done this, restarted it and two processes of ad-aware still start up. I haven't had this problem before the anniversary edition, so I'm uninstalling it.

P.S. Yes, I am a minimalist, who believes that if it doesn't need to run then it shouldn't be running in the background. Sort of the same approach as how the Windows 7 development team is going about their new OS.

I agree and it looks like I have to uninstall too.

Unticking all three boxes still results in Ad-Aware running at every start up.

I ran msconfig and found the AAWTray task and turned it off - Ad-Aware still starts at every boot up!

I went into C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware and renamed the AAWTray.exe file so that it couldn't be found, and Ad-Aware installed a new copy!!!!

Looks like Ad-Aware is trying hard to qualify as Mal-Ware!!

#5 molcat

molcat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:37 PM

I agree and it looks like I have to uninstall too.

Unticking all three boxes still results in Ad-Aware running at every start up.

I ran msconfig and found the AAWTray task and turned it off - Ad-Aware still starts at every boot up!

I went into C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware and renamed the AAWTray.exe file so that it couldn't be found, and Ad-Aware installed a new copy!!!!

Looks like Ad-Aware is trying hard to qualify as Mal-Ware!!

To stop it, using XP, change Lavasoft Ad-Aware Services in the Computer Management, (via right click MyComputer) Services+Applications, Services,Properties, "Startup Type" to "Manual" and you can also set to "Stop" in the properties window. Having done this there is no longer a tray icon at start up and the program has to be run from the Desktop icon or via All Programs. For some reason update still started from time to time without the program running and this was sorted by changing both update options in Settings to manual from Auto.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users