• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 USC Trojan

USC Trojan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

I am trying to help my aunt with her computer. She had Ad-Aware SE Personal long long time ago and I was installing a new version of McAfee Internet Security for her when it detected that there was a conflicting program "Remove Ad-Aware SE Personal".

I tried to look up how to uninstall the program because it was not there under Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs on Windows XP. I did the following so far:

1. Deleted the folders Lavasoft from Application Data
2. Deleted all references to "SE Personal" from the registry
3. Emptied recycle bin
4. Tried Eusing Free Registry Cleaner to clean up the registry
5. Tried Revo Uninstaller to check for uninstall of the program (it did not find Ad-Aware)
6. Tried Windows Installer Cleanup script and it too did not find the program

But there seems to be some trace of the program still left behind.

Any idea how I can clean it up?

#2 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:15 PM

Hi,

What operating system is she using? If it is windows 2000 or newer, then install ad-aware 2008.

The proceed to uninstall 2008 (using Revo) and hopefully that will remove all traces from her computer. Unfortunately, some programs are very sensitive about other installed programs, even if there is only a slight trace of it left!

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#3 Papa44

Papa44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:53 AM

I am having the same uninstall problems with adware se any advise?

#4 GoddersUK

GoddersUK

Valued Member/ Ad-Aware Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

Hi, did you follow the advice from casey boy above?

Are you also trying to install McAffee?

Does it insist on AAWs removal before it will successfully install?

Edited by GoddersUK, 03 January 2009 - 08:13 PM.

If you are a paying user (Plus/Pro License) you should visit the Lavasoft Support Centre.

If you need help to remove an infection:

Read this first. Follow ALL the steps in it. If you do not then you will just be asked to go away and do so.
Then post your HJT log (copy and paste, don't attach) into a NEW topic in the HJT Log Forum
Await advice from either a Volunteer Security Advisor or a member of Lavasoft staff.

If you see anyone other than a VSA or Lavasoft staff member giving advice in the HijackThis forum please PM a mod.

DO NOT POST HJT LOGS IN ANY FORUM OTHER THAN THE OFFICIAL HJT LOG FORUM. We will be unable to deal with them there and will just tell you to go to the right place.

Please do NOT bump HijackThis log posts, it won't help you receive help any faster - the VSAs look for posts with zero replies. If after one week you have not received a response please repost your log file in a NEW thread.

#5 USC Trojan

USC Trojan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

Hi,

What operating system is she using? If it is windows 2000 or newer, then install ad-aware 2008.

The proceed to uninstall 2008 (using Revo) and hopefully that will remove all traces from her computer. Unfortunately, some programs are very sensitive about other installed programs, even if there is only a slight trace of it left!

Casey

It is Windows XP Media Center Edition.

I installed and uninstalled Ad Aware 2008 Free and it did not work. Of course, I uninstalled using Add/Remove from Control Panel and not Revo. Will Revo do anything different?

#6 USC Trojan

USC Trojan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

Hi, did you follow the advice from casey boy above?

Are you also trying to install McAffee?

Does it insist on AAWs removal before it will successfully install?

Yes, I partially followed the advice (did not uninstall using Revo, but through Add/Remove Programs).

Yes, I am trying to install McAfee Internet Security which is a suite and the VirusScan product is the one that seems to detect a conflict with AAW and it insists on its removal before installation. I could potentially do a custom install and leave out VirusScan but that would be somewhat useless :-)

Yea, I know it is a stupid thing to have such a strict condition for the installation. I would have been ok if there were a warning that there may be conflict and still go ahead with the installation, but McAfee programmers seem to think otherwise :-(

#7 SteveC619

SteveC619

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:27 PM

It is Windows XP Media Center Edition.

I installed and uninstalled Ad Aware 2008 Free and it did not work. Of course, I uninstalled using Add/Remove from Control Panel and not Revo. Will Revo do anything different?

Yes it will. Revo is great in finding the Uninstaller, getting it to properly work and remove the program.
P.S. Click the "Advanced" button before starting the uninstall process and it will also allow you to remove everything left in the registry as well.

#8 USC Trojan

USC Trojan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

Yes it will. Revo is great in finding the Uninstaller, getting it to properly work and remove the program.
P.S. Click the "Advanced" button before starting the uninstall process and it will also allow you to remove everything left in the registry as well.

Did not work :-(

McAfee still found some trace of Ad Aware SE Personal :-(

#9 GoddersUK

GoddersUK

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

Does it tell you exactly what it's found?

May I suggest that you clear your temporary files, just in case there's something AdAwarey in there:

Start > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.

Ensure that "Temporary Files" is checked and it wouldn't do any harm to check any other that you are happy you won't be needing.

I'd also suggest you check C:\Program Files for an Ad-Aware or Lavasoft directory. If there's one there, delete it (in fact, check the directory for a file called "unwise.exe" first - that'll be the uninstaller).
If you are a paying user (Plus/Pro License) you should visit the Lavasoft Support Centre.

Read this first. Follow ALL the steps in it. If you do not then you will just be asked to go away and do so.
Then post your HJT log (copy and paste, don't attach) into a NEW topic in the HJT Log Forum
Await advice from either a Volunteer Security Advisor or a member of Lavasoft staff.

If you see anyone other than a VSA or Lavasoft staff member giving advice in the HijackThis forum please PM a mod.

DO NOT POST HJT LOGS IN ANY FORUM OTHER THAN THE OFFICIAL HJT LOG FORUM. We will be unable to deal with them there and will just tell you to go to the right place.

Please do NOT bump HijackThis log posts, it won't help you receive help any faster - the VSAs look for posts with zero replies. If after one week you have not received a response please repost your log file in a NEW thread.

#10 gelert

gelert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:40 PM

Did not work :-(

McAfee still found some trace of Ad Aware SE Personal :-(

It's an old trick that works for uninstalling AVG 8 when trying to install Kaspersky - but it might point you in the right direction, USC Trojan.

http://www.mydigital...ky-kis-and-kav/

Basically it involves Registry Editor (regedit). Navigate to the following registry key branches:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

Have a look for anything AdAware-related, and delete it.

Make a System Restore point first though...!

I've not tried Revo myself. But I've had less than no problems with CCleaner.

Hope that this helps...?

Note to self: If posting on this forum, update signature...LOL.

Note to Mods: I provided this link to the AVG Forums http://freeforum.avg...2367#msg-142367 on August 14th 2008, and they continue to use it. But if I've offended any LS sensibilities, I apologise now.
XP Pro SP3; ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite v8.0.059; WinPatrol Plus v15.9.2008.5; SpywareBlaster v4.1;
Spybot S&D v1.6.0.31 (TeaTimer Disabled); Piriform CCleaner v2.15.815; MBSA x86 v2.1; WICU rubbish;
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe; AMD Athlon Newcastle 64 Processor 3500+; Sata RAID 1 (Mirror) 70Gb Raptors;
Corsair XMS3200 2GB 2x1024MB DDR CAS2; Asus Probe II, and Cool n'Quiet enabled in BIOS.
A little blue thing that goes "Whoop" on alternate Tuesdays.
43-byte ASCII input MD5 = 9e107d9d372bb6826bd81d3542a419d6 = "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"
05 August 2008: ex-SE Plus user; ex-AdAware 2008 Plus user. "So long, and thanks for all the fish...."

#11 dgforbes

dgforbes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

I, too, am having problems uninstalling Ad-aware SE Personal. McAfee also is the reason for my need to unistall. I went to "Add/Remove" and clicked on Ad-aware. Each time a window titled, "Wise Unistall", opens. The window says, "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file." Below is an "OK" button to click on, which just closes the window. So I next clicked on the Ad-aware icon on my desktop, and it opened telling me that I had not checked my Ad-aware for updates in over 700 days. I then clicked on the update and downloaded the latest version (SE 1R 332 02.02.2009), hoping that the uninstall wizard would also be updated or fixed. However, the uninstall wizard still does not appear. After reading the posts here, I did a disk cleanup and eliminated all temporary files. This did not resolve my issue either. Can anyone help me get the uninstall wizard in order to get rid of this software, please? Thank you.

#12 donwest

donwest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:53 PM

I too have been having the same problem installing Macafee and hasd gone through the same process.
The revo uninstall worked for me :-)

http://www.revounins...e_download.html

Go for the full un-install with registry checks and tick thebold entries it finds to remove
Go back to the Macafee install and you should get through the Ad-Aware block.

#13 GoddersUK

GoddersUK

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

I, too, am having problems uninstalling Ad-aware SE Personal. McAfee also is the reason for my need to unistall. I went to "Add/Remove" and clicked on Ad-aware. Each time a window titled, "Wise Unistall", opens. The window says, "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file." Below is an "OK" button to click on, which just closes the window. So I next clicked on the Ad-aware icon on my desktop, and it opened telling me that I had not checked my Ad-aware for updates in over 700 days. I then clicked on the update and downloaded the latest version (SE 1R 332 02.02.2009), hoping that the uninstall wizard would also be updated or fixed. However, the uninstall wizard still does not appear. After reading the posts here, I did a disk cleanup and eliminated all temporary files. This did not resolve my issue either. Can anyone help me get the uninstall wizard in order to get rid of this software, please? Thank you.

Please use the Revo uninstaller - http://www.revouninstaller.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users