• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jealousblues

jealousblues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:23 AM

So my computer has been acting slow with several non respoding's lately.

So scanned it with Adaware and it has 9 infections.

When I select them and hit delete it pops up with the "detections are being deleted" (or whatever it says) box for a split second.
and then it does nothing, and the infections are still in the above box.

they cannot be quarantined either.

and when i rescan they are still there.

fwiw adaware says they are a 4 on their TAI scale

they are listed as critical objects.

category "misc"

called "redirected hostfile entry"

Like i said. I hit Delete infections and it gives me the box "deleting infections, please wait"

and then nothing, they are still there.

If I click finish, they say are you sure? There are objects that havent been handled.

Edited by jealousblues, 11 November 2008 - 09:08 AM.

#2 Txnnok

Txnnok

Ad-Aware 2008 Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:16 AM

make sure you have your settings on, quarantine prior to removal/ unload objects prior to scan or something like that, check all of those/ Now when a scan is going you can not open your browser or it will not delete.
Make sure delete restored items is checked

I am using a the beta right now so I cant give a screen shot. The new version doesn't even look close to the 2008 version, but those I listed are the main ones. Do some searches for this subject, there are a few posts with screen shots and some were replied by me.

Let me know how it goes, also are you using any other spyware or malware products?

Goodluck

Windows 8.1

#3 oblique96

oblique96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:58 PM

I'm operating Ad Aware 2008, V 1.0.11 on Win XP and Office 2003.

Have used this and previous issues for 3-4 years without any snags, but now I've got the same problem reported above. The system will remove privacy objects, but it has found some critical objects that it will not remove or quarantine (after first occurrence I set for auto quarantine to no obvious effect on non-removal).
The 10 critical objects are listed under one family as 'redirected hostile entries', Misc. category, TAI 4.
Individually, they are all 'Hosts file entry' all with the same IP address but all with different host names.

I would welcome some advice on how to get rid of these things, as Ad-Aware refuses to after 3 scan attempts. Could I find them via Win Explorer and manually delete them and, if so, where would they be?

This is my first post, so I trust that I have not broken any conventions here!

Philip

#4 junkman123

junkman123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:35 AM

i have the same problem here, i have seen several post about this problem ,but no answers on how to fix it.just a bunch of run around.does any one know haw to fix this??????????????

#5 Txnnok

Txnnok

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:30 PM

in your settings for adaware, make sure you have the all the unload features checked. unload modules, unload browser, unload malicious files, remove files at startup, delete restored files, quarantine infected files, and change you tai setting to what you want it to be. Remember it will only find and remove what you have it set at.

I was going off memory, I am doing the beta right now. so those settings won't be exactly named like that, it is close though. If it doesn't get rid of it after that you could have a virus. you need to go the hijack this forum here and follow what they have posted.

Windows 8.1

#6 oblique96

oblique96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

in your settings for adaware, make sure you have the all the unload features checked. unload modules, unload browser, unload malicious files, remove files at startup, delete restored files, quarantine infected files, and change you tai setting to what you want it to be. Remember it will only find and remove what you have it set at.

I was going off memory, I am doing the beta right now. so those settings won't be exactly named like that, it is close though. If it doesn't get rid of it after that you could have a virus. you need to go the hijack this forum here and follow what they have posted.

Carried out thses actions, same critical objects found, still does not remove, even though I answered in the affirmative when asked if I really wanted to remove them, and when I go to Finish, says thatitems are still there, which they are.

Any more ideas, or so we accept now that there is a fault in this version of Ad aware?

#7 Txnnok

Txnnok

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:16 PM

Is your browser closed during the scan and removal? I know if you have the unload browser checked, adaware will shutdown your browser, but if you reopen it then it cant remove them.
Are they just cookies Adaware is trying to remove?

Adaware doesn't have any trouble removing any cookies. Virus on the other hand are different that can be much more difficult to remove and can cause all sorts of problems. If you are still experiencing problems after doing what I said then I would have to think that you are infected. Depending on what virus, they can avoid detection much less removal.

Go here read this http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=13639
and then post here http://www.lavasofts...hp?showforum=36

Be patient those guys volunteer their time, they dont work for lavasoft just like alot us that help here on the forums. We volunteer to help people get their computers working properly.

Windows 8.1

#8 oblique96

oblique96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:44 AM

Is your browser closed during the scan and removal? I know if you have the unload browser checked, adaware will shutdown your browser, but if you reopen it then it cant remove them.
Are they just cookies Adaware is trying to remove?

Adaware doesn't have any trouble removing any cookies. Virus on the other hand are different that can be much more difficult to remove and can cause all sorts of problems. If you are still experiencing problems after doing what I said then I would have to think that you are infected. Depending on what virus, they can avoid detection much less removal.

Go here read this http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=13639
and then post here http://www.lavasofts...hp?showforum=36

Be patient those guys volunteer their time, they dont work for lavasoft just like alot us that help here on the forums. We volunteer to help people get their computers working properly.

Good day Txnnok

Firstly, sorry that I sounded grumpy - it's just that Ad Aware has worked so well for several years that this snag has me bugged.
Secondly, I do appreciate the help that we get from forums such as this and did not mean anyone to think otherwise.

I think it is a malicious software problem, but I had hoped Ad Aware would deal with such a thing.
I have asked a third party we use for IT support (and that uses AA) to look at my problem in case it is down to finger trouble on my part.
If all that fails, I will try out the actions you recommend above.

Thanks again

OB96

#9 Txnnok

Txnnok

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

Firstly, sorry that I sounded grumpy

I understand, its frustrating knowing you have bug and especially frustrating is you can't get rid of it. I have gone as far as to reformat to get rid of it. Unfortunately with business computers you usually can't do that, not counting the loss of business while your down to.

The software tool used for Adaware for removal isn't very powerful. I think they do that for several reasons, but the main is if you yank some code out of infected piece of programming you can end up messing up your computer.

The good news is the removal tool for the new version coming out is more powerful. It has already removed a bug that the 2008 version couldn't, not to mention the scanner is better. I thought it was gone till the beta found it.
Don't go sign up for the beta yet, its still buggy.

Windows 8.1

#10 oblique96

oblique96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:42 AM

Don't go sign up for the beta yet, its still buggy.
[/quote]

Okay, I'll wait - hope your testing goes well from here.

As it happens, a scan with the update from last week did not find any critical items.
Whether this means they have gone, or have been quarantined I do not know, but it does mean that my problem is now not there!
Thanks again for your support.

#11 Txnnok

Txnnok

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:47 PM

It is possible that with the new update that the file wasn't threat. Some times you get false positives, meaning that they are not malicious, but the way the program behaves acts like a virus. If it is quarantined it will keep it there till you remove it or delete it.

Are you using only one spyware/antimalware scanner? When it comes to spyware scanners, more is ok, just don't have more than one real time scanner going or one scan going at a time. Go here and scroll down and read the blog on Liveone care and morro. This is basically what Lavasoft is explaining.
http://www.lavasoft.com/company/blog/

I have 4 right now, that I use. 2 of them I wont go without, one being Adaware.

Windows 8.1

#12 oblique96

oblique96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:24 AM

It is possible that with the new update that the file wasn't threat. Some times you get false positives, meaning that they are not malicious, but the way the program behaves acts like a virus. If it is quarantined it will keep it there till you remove it or delete it.

Are you using only one spyware/antimalware scanner? When it comes to spyware scanners, more is ok, just don't have more than one real time scanner going or one scan going at a time. Go here and scroll down and read the blog on Liveone care and morro. This is basically what Lavasoft is explaining.
http://www.lavasoft.com/company/blog/

I have 4 right now, that I use. 2 of them I wont go without, one being Adaware.

Thanks again.
Yes, we use Spybot and I'll ensure that we do not use it at the same time (which I might well have done).
I also use ccleaner and Glary Utilities.

Krgds
OB96

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users