• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mymanryman

mymanryman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:05 AM

Hi, I have the same problem. Downloaded Adaware 2008 free version. When I try to update from within the program it says that it can't connect to the server, and when I try from the blog (download.lavasoft.com/public/core.zip) it redirects and then lands on a page where it says: The domain "download.lavasoft.com" is invalid.

It's not an ISP problem. No other web pages are affected.

Please keep us updated on the progress of solving this issue.

Regards
Anders Ryman

Hi again,

We think that it's possible that your ISP's (internet service provider) DNS (Domain Name Server) is infected and as such is redirecting to wrong sites. This does happen but is normally sorted quickly. Have you noticed any other sites which weren't what you expected - especially security/financial sites?

If so and this issue is still pertaining, then please try and contact you ISP and inform them of the problem.

Casey

Mod. Edit. Spit from other topic. Casey

Edited by casey_boy, 02 November 2008 - 01:16 PM.

#2 Pierre67

Pierre67

Valued Member and Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1292 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:51 AM

I have tried from the blog link and am able to download either the AAW 2008 or AAW SE update zip files without any problems. I used Internet Explorer Ver 7.
regards, Peter.

I do NOT use Lavasoft Ad-Aware and do NOT work for Lavasoft. I just monitor the Forum from time to time.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT!!!

#3 mymanryman

mymanryman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:17 AM

I've tried both with Firefox and IE, but it just says "domain is invalid"

/Anders

I have tried from the blog link and am able to download either the AAW 2008 or AAW SE update zip files without any problems. I used Internet Explorer Ver 7.

#4 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

Sorry but I can't repro this either. I have just tried the download.lavasoft.com/public/core.zip and the file was offered for download.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#5 edcrack

edcrack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:03 AM

I am having the same problem. Tried firefox and IE. Any help is appreciated.

#6 overthehill

overthehill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:04 AM

I'm having the same problem - my AdAware installation is failing to connect, and if I go direct off the website "http://download.lava...ublic/core.zip" IE fails with "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

I note the comment about the ISP or DNS redirecting to the wrong page - I've noticed that happening off google and off other sites too. How much do I hate the people who do that!

#7 Pierre67

Pierre67

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1292 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:13 AM

http://download.lava...public/core.zip

Just tried that link and brings up the download box immediately.
regards, Peter.

I do NOT use Lavasoft Ad-Aware and do NOT work for Lavasoft. I just monitor the Forum from time to time.

#8 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:28 PM

Another possibility perhaps - could you check your HOSTS file please and copy it back here in a reply

Here are the standard Hosts file locations:

Windows XP & Vista: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 2K: C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Win 98\ME: C:\WINDOWS

First, locate the Hosts file; it is a file named "Hosts" with no extension. Right-click on it and select Copy. You can paste it into a reply here for review
Another method to view your hosts file:
Examine your Hosts file.
Download HostsXpert (free easy tool for viewing and editing the HOSTS file)
http://www.funkytoad...ontent/view/13/

* Extract all files (that is, decompress or unzip) the contents of HostsXpert.zip to your desktop. This will create a folder called: HostsXpert. To run the program, open the HostsXpert folder and doubleclick on the file HostsXpert.exe

The contents of the Hosts file appears in the window on the left. Under the *Edit* tab at the top you can choose to *copy to clipboard* and paste that into a reply here.

More information on what a HOSTS file is and how it can be hijacked is here FYI
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/10131
Please do NOT send Private Messages to Staff or helpers to request assistance! We do not give a personal support via PM The way to request help is to post a NEW TOPIC in the appropriate forum.

Look for the *New Topic* Button near the top right when viewing the forums.

Here in the forums, replies are posted to topics only. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Plus and Pro Ad-Aware users (only) may use the Support Center for personal assistance:
Support Center

Microsoft MVP/Windows - Security 2003-2009

#9 AndiiRoo

AndiiRoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:14 PM

It appears to be a browser hijacker. Definitions update 140 finds it & 8 entries attached, the latest Spybot doesn't. Trouble is Adaware auto updates say 'no connection' and fails

I've had Google redirecting everthing unless the actual link was pasted direct into the address bar for a few days, so tried to sort it. Zone Alarm Security Suite anti spyware updates were a week old, and ZASS updates failing for a few days now. Antivirus updates ok - just spyware updates failing for no apparent reason.

IE7 would not log on to download the Adaware 140 def file manually for no apparent reason. Got the usual not found page

Google searches only threw up lots of people with the same sort of problem, so in the end put the http://download.lava...public/core.zip link in via hxxp://www.hidemyass.com/ to bypass my browser page, & right away I could download the file, unzip it, & copy into the Adaware folder.

Don't know where this one came from, but it seems to block Adaware updates, (but not Spybot), and also ZASS spyware updates. A bit of a pain

Edited by Pierre67, 14 December 2008 - 10:13 AM.

#10 Nibbler

Nibbler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:09 PM

It appears to be a browser hijacker. Definitions update 140 finds it & 8 entries attached, the latest Spybot doesn't. Trouble is Adaware auto updates say 'no connection' and fails

I've had Google redirecting everthing unless the actual link was pasted direct into the address bar for a few days, so tried to sort it. Zone Alarm Security Suite anti spyware updates were a week old, and ZASS updates failing for a few days now. Antivirus updates ok - just spyware updates failing for no apparent reason.

IE7 would not log on to download the Adaware 140 def file manually for no apparent reason. Got the usual not found page

Google searches only threw up lots of people with the same sort of problem, so in the end put the http://download.lava...public/core.zip link in via http://www.hidemyass.com/ to bypass my browser page, & right away I could download the file, unzip it, & copy into the Adaware folder.

Don't know where this one came from, but it seems to block Adaware updates, (but not Spybot), and also ZASS spyware updates. A bit of a pain

I have the same problem. here is my hosts file

#11 jo'man

jo'man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:43 PM

Hi all,
firstly I'm glad I found this forum because I happen to be another one suffering from this problem.

Firstly, I have checked my hosts file but it seems clean, there's nothing else apart from "localhost" line, so it has nothing to do with hosts file in my case, it seems.

I figured out some things about the way DNS service works and thought the reason could be slighly different.

I did manage to get the Ad Aware 2008 update via my mobile phone (happy I have a flat-rate internet plan on my N95) and then transfered it to my PC via USB, so at least my Ad Aware is now up to date. I scanned my PC thoroughly and fixed the infections but this didn't seem to help - I still can't open some websites and do online updates to Ad Aware and AVG anti spyware (i.e. the two anti-spyware programs I use).

There's one thing though. When I scan it with Ad Aware it finds this:

http://farm4.static....54466b7c1_o.jpg

I scanned it a number of times and choose "remove" option but it seems to be coming back every time. If you notice, in the end of the line it says "nameserverdata 85.255.112.213" which, I assume, is an address of some dodgy DNS server

I'm not sure but I guess the malware somehow "redirects" my browser to specific DNS server (?) instead of using my default DNS settings which are on the router.

Problem is that Ad Aware cannot get rid of it, even though it can find it and I can remove it. It simply re-appears again during a next scan even if I do it straight away.

Edited by jo'man, 23 November 2008 - 11:49 PM.

#12 jo'man

jo'man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:50 AM

Ok it seems I found a solution that helped me... I installed SuperAntiSpyware and firstly updated the definitions manually. After scanning it found about 20 infections (ad aware found only 2 before that). After scanning it restarted the PC and after restart I scanned it once again. And here we go, no more infections! Again scanned with Ad Aware and no infections too. All updates (including Ad Aware and AVG) now seem to work fine and DNS settings got changed to default settings.

I also cleared all browsing data with ATF Cleaner which may possibly have helped too.

I already got worried that I might have to format my hdd and reinstall Windows but it seems things have been sorted for now.

Edited by jo'man, 24 November 2008 - 02:51 AM.

#13 berthawilson

berthawilson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:52 PM

Ok it seems I found a solution that helped me... I installed SuperAntiSpyware and firstly updated the definitions manually. After scanning it found about 20 infections (ad aware found only 2 before that). After scanning it restarted the PC and after restart I scanned it once again. And here we go, no more infections! Again scanned with Ad Aware and no infections too. All updates (including Ad Aware and AVG) now seem to work fine and DNS settings got changed to default settings.

I also cleared all browsing data with ATF Cleaner which may possibly have helped too.

I already got worried that I might have to format my hdd and reinstall Windows but it seems things have been sorted for now.

Hi there,

where can I find superantispyware? is it free? I got the same problem saying that I can't get the web update in 2008 Ad-aware free version.... please help... :)

#14 Pierre67

Pierre67

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1292 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:17 AM

Here are the links for both. Please use with care!

http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://majorgeeks.co...aner_d4949.html
regards, Peter.

#15 love2cats

love2cats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:33 PM

Thank you all for your replies. Now I don't feel quite as stupid since others are expering the same type of problems I'm having.

#16 OutaTowner

OutaTowner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:13 PM

Google searches only threw up lots of people with the same sort of problem, so in the end put the http://download.lava...public/core.zip link in via hxxp://www.hidemyass.com/ to bypass my browser page, & right away I could download the file, unzip it, & copy into the Adaware folder.

Thanks AndiiRoo!
I have been having this exact same problem!! The program itself couldn't find the page; IE, Firefox and Chrome all couldn't find the manual page as well.... Then I used that website, and sure enough! It worked like a charm and I was able to update the file! I'm now about to test to see if the new definitions can remove the problem....

Edited by Pierre67, 14 December 2008 - 10:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users