• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 lea.woolfstudio

lea.woolfstudio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:40 PM

Hi there, I have run ad aware three times in the last 24 hours. Each time it comes up with a different number of infections. I think it was 12, 13, and then 7. Each time I select delete, it generates errors and then has to send an error report. Then I look at the review, I guess it's called, and it says how many infections that were found and then says zero deleted. I updated it just before the last time and that still didn't help. I know my computer is having problems and is going really slowly. I need to find a way to get rid of these things. I have done spybot but they find nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much. I am really in the dark on this one. Thanks a lot.

#2 Txnnok

Txnnok

Ad-Aware 2008 Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:54 PM

Remember Adaware will ignore infections lower than the TAI setting you have it it. Check in sscanning tab in settings to verify. I set mine at 2, but it is a personal choice, 3 is ok to leave.

As for your other settings, make sure that your settings match mine in the screen shots and it will take care of some issues with cookies not being deleted. Copy the settings I have underlined and as for safe mode, it is up to you. Oh, there is also a setting for tai in auto scan. So if you do auto scans, adaware follows that setting.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Go over your help file. It is the ? mark in Adware. It will help explain other settings I didn't list

· Ignore infections with TAI lower than “X”: Items that receive a TAI (Threat Analysis Index) level less than 3 are considered to be low risk threats. You may choose to ignore low risk infections.

· Automatically remove infection with TAI higher than “X”: Allows you to automatically remove infections above a specified TAI rating in a start-up scan.

· Quarantine objects prior to removal: Quarantines objects that have been marked for automatic clean.

· Safe mode: A dialog box requesting confirmation will be displayed when altering (removing, quarantining, etc.) objects.

· Delete restored items: After the objects in Quarantine are restored, the quarantine file is deleted. If disabled, the quarantine file will remain on the system even after restoring its contents.

Cleaning Engine

· Unload modules: Ad-Aware 2008 will unload running process modules that have matches in the Detection Database.

· Unload browsers while scanning: Any browsers that are open will be closed before a scan is performed.

· Suppress failure warnings: Messages with certain objects that cannot be removed will be suppressed.

· Let Windows remove files at start-up: If it is necessary to restart your computer to remove a file, Ad-Aware 2008 will request that the files be removed during the next system restart. Ad-Aware 2008 will instruct Windows to remove these files at start-up.

Processes Detected During Scan

· Unload malicious processes & modules: This allows Ad-Aware 2008 to close any currently running process or module that is recognized by the Detection Database. If this setting is disabled, the recognized process or module will continue to run during the remainder of the scan. Deactivation of this option does not imply that Ad-Aware 2008 will not be able to remove the executable if selected for removal by the user, just that removal will happen more efficiently if the process has already been stopped.

· Remove malicious LSPs: LSPs, or layered service providers, are often exploited by spyware and adware. If selected, Ad-Aware 2008 will remove LSPs in detection.

Good luck, let me know if this works.

Windows 8.1

#3 lea.woolfstudio

lea.woolfstudio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

Thanks my settings were almost the same as yours. (I did change the couple of things that were different). I do however want nothing ignored so my TAI is set a 1. I will do yet another scan to see what happens with it. Oh and on my scanning window my version won't let me change the settings to "activate extended anti-virus engine" and "use heuristics on extended scan". They both still have a red x on them. Is this because I am using a free version? Thanks so much for getting back to me so soon. So I will try it and see what happens. Thanks.

#4 Txnnok

Txnnok

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:35 PM

Yea, those 2 are related to antivirus, which comes with the plus and pro versions. Sorry

Just remember if you delete all cookies the you have to continually retype password and things like that. Basically you want to chunk the advertising cookies and keep the rest. A good start is to open your your internet options in IEand change your privacy settings to block third party cookie and for Firefox goto your tool and then options and under the privacy tab uncheck the third party cookies. You can also make it so that you do not accept any cookies in each, but then your having to do what I described before.

Windows 8.1

#5 lea.woolfstudio

lea.woolfstudio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:35 PM

Hey thanks. This time it found 6 items and did delete them all. So it's good. Thanks again it's so nice to get help on computer stuff when you need it!

#6 Txnnok

Txnnok

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:49 PM

My pleasure, glad we could get it working properly for you.

I'll be closing this thread, if you have any more problems just repost.

Windows 8.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users