• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ADB44

ADB44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:47 PM

When performing a Smart Scan using Ad-Aware 2008, version 0118.0000 on my Windows XP SP3 machine, the program files a crash-report in the middle of the cookie scan and stops. This happened twice. Installed AA2008 in August this year, before SP3 was installed.

#2 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:02 PM

Hi,

Try deleting your cookies through your browser, then run the scan again.

If you need help with that, post back and let me know what browser you use.

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#3 ADB44

ADB44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:22 AM

Have deleted all cookies (from both the IE and FF browsers), but upon reaching the cookies scan, Ad Aware still crashes out.

#4 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:12 AM

strange!

ok, next step: prevent ad-aware from scanning for cookies:

Ad-aware > settings > scanning > click (cross) scan for tracking cookies

rescan and see if it completes. if so, we will manually make sure you have no corrupted cookies, if not, it's not the cookies that are the problem.

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#5 ADB44

ADB44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:39 PM

Ad-Aware completes the scan without problems, having disabled the cookies scan.

#6 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:45 PM

ok,

so what we'll do is to manually remove any cookies which may be stored which a)causes the scan to crash and b)prevents the browser from deleting them.

For internet explorer (6&7): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835

For firefox, all cookies are stored in one file, found at C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxx.default where xxxx is some random-appearing string. If there is a file there, then delete it.

Beware, doing these procedures will result in you loosing ALL cookies, so website log-in information will be lost.

When you have done this, then turn back on the cookie scan, run a scan and see if it works,

Casey

#7 ADB44

ADB44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:14 AM

ok,

so what we'll do is to manually remove any cookies which may be stored which a)causes the scan to crash and b)prevents the browser from deleting them.

For internet explorer (6&7): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835

For firefox, all cookies are stored in one file, found at C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxx.default where xxxx is some random-appearing string. If there is a file there, then delete it.

Beware, doing these procedures will result in you loosing ALL cookies, so website log-in information will be lost.

When you have done this, then turn back on the cookie scan, run a scan and see if it works,

Casey

Casey,

The directory which you quote for the Firefox cookies contains a large number of files, which to my untutored eye look rather essential for the operation of the browser, as well as a fair number of subdirectories. Could you double-check?

Have attempted to clear the IE7 cookies as per Microsoft instructions, but am still left with a number of *.txt files.

Thanks.

Edited by ADB44, 08 September 2008 - 07:20 AM.

#8 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:52 AM

hi again,

we'll just try IE now, so:

1. Exit Internet Explorer 7, and then exit any instances of Windows Explorer.
2. Click Start, click Run, type inetcpl.cpl, and then press ENTER.
3. In the Internet Properties dialog box, on the General tab, click Settings under Browsing History.
4. In the Temporary Internet Files and History Settings dialog box, click View Files. This opens the folder where your cookie files are stored.
5. In the folder that you opened in step 4, delete the .txt files.

I have modified the instructions for the procedure we want to carry out.

Hope that makes sense now,

Casey

#9 ADB44

ADB44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:44 PM

hi again,

we'll just try IE now, so:

1. Exit Internet Explorer 7, and then exit any instances of Windows Explorer.
2. Click Start, click Run, type inetcpl.cpl, and then press ENTER.
3. In the Internet Properties dialog box, on the General tab, click Settings under Browsing History.
4. In the Temporary Internet Files and History Settings dialog box, click View Files. This opens the folder where your cookie files are stored.
5. In the folder that you opened in step 4, delete the .txt files.

I have modified the instructions for the procedure we want to carry out.

Hope that makes sense now,

Casey

Thanks for updated instructions. After removing the IE7 cookies I ran another Ad-Aware scan, which unfortunately crashed once more upon reaching the cookie scan. Awaiting further instructions :) .

#10 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:57 PM

That is annoying, so now to remove the Firefox cookies.

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*****.default

If you have Firefox 2 then find the file \Cookies.txt and delete it

If you have Firefox 3 (if you don't, you should update) then find the file \cookies.sqlite

Delete the appropriate file and try again, hopefully it will work this time!

Casey

Edited by casey_boy, 09 September 2008 - 10:58 PM.

#11 ADB44

ADB44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:13 AM

Casey,

Bad news. Ad-Aware commenced the cookie-scan, but crashed after detecting 2 problems.

#12 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

Ah. bugger. lol.

Well then I'm afraid I've run out of ideas.

The only thing I can suggest then is to either reinstall your browsers OR:

configure your browsers not to accept 3rd party cookies (FF is easy) and then to turn off cookie scanning in ad-aware.

Sorry about that,

Casey

Edit: Hold on, ad-aware shouldn't have detected any problems if the cookies had all been removed??? Do you know what it detected, were they definitely cookies?

Edited by casey_boy, 04 October 2008 - 04:09 PM.

#13 ADB44

ADB44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:41 PM

Ah. bugger. lol.

Well then I'm afraid I've run out of ideas.

The only thing I can suggest then is to either install your browsers OR:

configure your browsers not to accept 3rd party cookies (FF is easy) and then to turn off cookie scanning in ad-aware.

Sorry about that,

Casey

Edit: Hold on, ad-aware shouldn't have detected any problems if the cookies had all been removed??? Do you know what it detected, were they definitely cookies?

Couldn't verify what the nature of the detected threats was, as the program at that point filed a crash report and stalled. I suspect a malware infection, so will proceed down that route. When I find out more what is causing this, I'll post my findings on here.

#14 jsweeney

jsweeney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:18 PM

This may be related. The crash happens while doing a Smart Scan. I thought it was during the registry scan. The crash log is attached. Essentially, I have two computers with identical CPU and motherboard, both running WinXP SP3. On one computer, the scan runs perfect. On the other, the scan crashes.

Attached Files

#15 Oz75

Oz75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:24 AM

Has there been any news on this issue? I have a similar problem with Ad-Aware scans. Norton Internet Security, Spybot S&D (sorry guys!), have all yielded no issues.

Adaware says "aawservice.exe has encountered an unhandled exception". I've attached the crash report. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Attached Files

#16 KaTet19

KaTet19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:00 PM

I wonder if the commonality is norton? I have the latest version of norton antivirus. Use CCleaner to flush my cookies etc. AAware 2008 crashes on cookie scan on my WinXP-32 SP3 machine

#17 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

this could be an incompatability, yes.

I recommend then, disabling cookie scanning in ad-aware and using another program (or even just your browsers) to delete your cookies.

Hopefully, ad-aware will run ok then.

Casey

#18 rimslicks38

rimslicks38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:05 AM

this could be an incompatability, yes.

I recommend then, disabling cookie scanning in ad-aware and using another program (or even just your browsers) to delete your cookies.

Hopefully, ad-aware will run ok then.

Casey

Well I have the same problem :angry: BUT ONLY ON I OF FIVE COMPUTERS ON MY HOME NETWORK. :huh:
I update ALL these computers within 10 mimutes with the same bases. :rolleyes:
ALL computers are running the same antivirus and internet protection ( KASPERSKY INTERNET SECURITY ) :D
ALL THE COMPUTERS RUN AD-AWARE 2008 UPDATED TODAY !!!!!!!!!.
I have deleted the cookies from both IE7 and FF3.
I have sent reports to Ad-aware but to no avail.
I have run cc cleaner and sypbot S&D

PLEASE HELP :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users