• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 meegja

meegja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

aawservice.exe ... always running in the background. But nowhere it is explained (clearly) what it is or does, not in the Help of the program itself nor on this board.. I never gave permission to AdAware 2008 Free to run something ... I use it as stand alone service every 2 weeks or so. So I don't see any reason why this is running in the background? To be honest, it only raises questions on if it is harmless since it seems to have no use?

Menno

#2 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:56 AM

Hi,

Please read this: http://lavasoft.com/...un-as-a-service

if you still have questions after that, then post back

Casey

Edited by casey_boy, 20 December 2008 - 11:16 AM.
fixed link

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#3 meegja

meegja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:48 PM

Hi,

Please read this: http://lavasoft.com/....php?details=16

if you still have questions after that, then post back

Casey

Okay, I did read it ... but still not clear why it has to run? I mean, the free version can not run AdWatch .. which I assume is the service running in the background?

#4 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:46 PM

I think this should answer your question:

The implementation of Ad-Aware 2008/2007 as a Service facilitates this needed power and flexibility since a service runs with elevated rights on the system. This means that the user can work in user-mode while the Service maintains the elevated rights it needs in order to properly detect and remove malware infections.

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#5 meegja

meegja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:58 PM

I think this should answer your question:
Casey

Eh ... no? It still does not explain why that service is running in the background when AAW is not used ... in my case I use it once every 2 weeks and in those 2 weeks of not using AAW, aawservice.exe is running. I can understand that if is running when spyware is detected and I am notified by that service. But that is not the case with AAW Free: it's running and when spyware is installed/implanted, aawservice.exe will not notify me ...

Menno

#6 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:40 AM

Ah right ok.

Well to be honest the only reason I can see is that Lavasoft obviously thought that it'd be better that way so that users wouldn't have to start it themselves.

I agree that maybe it should only start when the user starts a Lavasoft program, I'm not sure why it's not to be honest.

If you're that bothered you can set the service to be started manually, but if you try to use ad-Aware without starting the service then it wouldn't work. If you need me to give you instructions on how to do this, then let me know. However, this is obviously not recommended proceedure.

Casey

#7 meegja

meegja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:23 PM

Ok, thanx. I did read how it could be disabled but to be honest I don not trust a service from a program like this that only can be disabled through this procedure. Even worse, when trying to stop it through the Task Manager, it will stop but start again after a few seconds by itself. Totally unacceptable and unexplained behaviour of this software. Furthermore I don't trust it since nowhere the Lavasoft team is explaining what this service is ... not in here and not in the Help of the program itself. Not saying that it is spyware or something like that ... but I don't trust it because of the above.

#8 Percival

Percival

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

aawservice.exe uses 72 - 73000 kB when Ad-Aware is not in use. That's an awful lot of memory for doing nothing, and it has to load at every startup. Almost all of it is on the page file, but it has to be loaded anyway. (And even the page file has it limits.)

If you invested in hardware capable of running Vista, your system do probably not notice a load of 73000 kB more or less.

My old rig is three times as powerful as needed to run XP, and still I can not afford to waste system resources this way. The problem must be solved, or I'll have to let Ad-Aware 2008 go. :) I hope it will be fixed, because I always liked Ad-Aware very much.

Will see if changing the service to manual startup with WinPatrol helps.

Ok, thanx. I did read how it could be disabled but to be honest I don not trust a service from a program like this that only can be disabled through this procedure. Even worse, when trying to stop it through the Task Manager, it will stop but start again after a few seconds by itself. Totally unacceptable and unexplained behaviour of this software. Furthermore I don't trust it since nowhere the Lavasoft team is explaining what this service is ... not in here and not in the Help of the program itself. Not saying that it is spyware or something like that ... but I don't trust it because of the above.

No reason to not trust the product, I would trust anything from Lavasoft. The product is safe, it's just wasting system resources.

Edited by Percival, 27 September 2008 - 12:57 PM.

#9 Txnnok

Txnnok

Ad-Aware 2008 Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:19 PM

Adaware shouldn't stay running after it is closed. It is an on demand scanner. The last update had a glitch, so it maybe stuck running.
Adwatch on the other hand does stay running. Here is a pic showing just adwatch after I closed adaware to take some other pics. It shows adwatch running at 4500k, but right now it is at a little under 15000k.adwatch.jpg

During the scan it fluctuated, but settled at around 12000k, but adwatch was at 150000k. Then after I stopped the scan, adaware was at 15000k and adwatch was at 5000k.
For the free version I am sure this will change, plus xp will use resources a little different, since it takes a gig to run vista alone.
To lower resources a little, check the run as a background process tab in the performance tunning box, located in settings under the scanning tab.

during_scan.jpg after_scan.jpg

Try doing a reboot and then check your task manager to see if adaware is running. Here' a link were we are talking about the glitch in the update. I think that is what is causing it, other than while it is running it does consume alot resources. I'll do a search later and see if I can find were we've discussed this before.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After doing a quick search I found this post talking about adaware always running. I guess I'm wrong, but then I don't understand why it is not running for me. I haven't done anything special or used any programs that change the way a program behave. I just had a thought of a virus. They can disable antivirus programs, but then adwatch is still running.
I'll have look further into this. http://www.lavasofts...mp;hl=resources
I couldn't find the resource post, but I only looked for a few minutes. I look again later.

Edited by Txnnok, 27 September 2008 - 09:36 PM.
found a link

Windows 8.1

#10 Pierre67

Pierre67

Valued Member and Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1325 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:57 AM

Here is a screen shot of it running under XP Home.

regards, Peter.

I do NOT use Lavasoft Ad-Aware and do NOT work for Lavasoft. I just monitor the Forum from time to time.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT!!!

#11 Jagypaw

Jagypaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:40 PM

Hmm, i really dont know why it starts running by himself aawservice.exe but i can help you turn it off, and he starts when u start Lavasoft program. So:
Start->Run->(type) msconfig->Srvices->and just turn off "Ad_Aware 2007 services"

Now that aawservices.exe dont start at startup but manualy when you Open Ad_Aware soft :) think i help Ya :D

#12 PRC

PRC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

I'm running Vista Home Premium with only 1 gig ram. The system was running slow so while checking memory usage found the service using 150 meg so I'm running the service manually for now. I'm still not clear on it's purpose when I'm not actually running the program.

#13 PRC

PRC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

Still unclear as to purpose. Will query Internet newsgroups.

#14 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:17 AM

Hi,

Check my the link in my first post:

What is the Benefit of a Service-Based Approach to Malware Removal?

Malware that emerges today is increasingly complex, displaying wildly varying behavior and operating on many levels in the system. In order to stay a step ahead of these ever-changing security threats, an anti-spyware tool needs to be more powerful, multi-faceted and flexible than ever before.

The implementation of Ad-Aware 2008/2007 as a Service facilitates this needed power and flexibility since a service runs with elevated rights on the system. This means that the user can work in user-mode while the Service maintains the elevated rights it needs in order to properly detect and remove malware infections.

Hope that helps,

Casey

#15 PRC

PRC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:22 PM

Does this mean it's real time protection? Why so much memory?

#16 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:51 PM

No, not real time. That would be ad-watch, I think its more to help with the removal of malware.

I have asked before and I'm still not sure why the service is automatic and why it can't be started as we open the GUI, but it just isn't.

As for the memory usage, this has been improved in the new version of ad-aware (currently still under testing, but due soon :)) which even with ad-watch running is only using ~20,000K.

Casey

#17 Brewster97us

Brewster97us

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:22 AM

I've been using AdAware ever since it came out.
By thee own advice, I can and should not allow others to put things (stuff) on my machine.
And now you're doing it?

Answer please!

Brewster.

#18 Brewster97us

Brewster97us

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:30 AM

Hope the new version is better and I won't have to go looking for ways to shut it down.
My computer is slow as is.

Brewster

#19 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:30 AM

It is :)

and FYI it's due out in 4days!

Casey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users