• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 Katsmom

Katsmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:19 AM

I've used Ad-Aware Free for years, and greatly appreciate this program. :) I have no trouble with any versions of the program, past or present, on my Windows XP computer. I have nothing but trouble with the last two versions of the program on my Windows Vista laptop.

I have the Vista Ultimate 64-bit OS on the laptop, and I know my laptop was incompatible with Ad-Aware 2007. But for some reason, it was compatible with the discontinued Ad-Aware SE. For most of this past year, I uninstalled Ad-Aware (sadly) from the laptop. Then... Ad-Aware 2008 was released; and it was supposed to be compatible with the Vista 64-bit operating system. I was so happy!

I downloaded and installed the 2008 version with no trouble. The program installed without any definitions, whatsoever. It went through an update process automatically (software update). It updated the (empty) definitions file. Suddenly... an error box popped up. I was informed that the newly updated definitions file was "corrupted" and the suggestion was to delete it. I clicked OK, but apparently the definitions file was not removed. I knew this because the updater kept telling me that my definitions file was up-to-date. Meanwhile, the main page of the Ad-Aware 2008 program interface stated that I had 0 definitions/0 families/0 etc. installed. When I started a scan, it worked perfectly... but it stated that my definitions file was "N/A" -- not very confidence-inspiring. :D

I've had this process repeat over and over again. No how, no way can I get the program to successfully download and/or verify definitions. I've tried manually updating, by substituting the unzipped definitions file from the website for the allegedly corrupted update downloaded by the program. I get the same error message. No matter how many times and how many ways I obtain a definitions file... it fails to integrate into the Ad-Aware program. ;)

Yes, I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times. I've used registry cleaners to make sure I got rid of all remnants of previous installations. I've temporarily disabled my antivirus program during updates. I have "Run this program as an Administrator" checked for all .exe files in the Ad-Aware folder on my computer. I tried Windows XP Service Pack 2 compatibility. Nothing has made any difference.

I'm plum out of ideas now. I was ready to give up and just uninstall Ad-Aware 2008, but came across a link to this forum and decided to give you folks a try. I don't know if my problem is unique or not; but hopefully, you can help me figure out what's wrong and finally get the definitions to install. I really miss my old friend, Ad-Aware. :rolleyes:

I uploaded 2 screenshots from my computer to the "Attachments" feature on this forum. Very cool! They say a picture is worth a thousand words... :D

Ad_Aware_Screen__1.GIF

Ad_Aware_Screen__2.GIF

#2 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:45 AM

Hi,

Have you tried manually downloading and installing the definitions file?

go to: C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware and delete the file core.aawdef (you will need to enable hidden folders)

then go to: http://www.lavasoft....itycenter/blog/ and download the 2008 def file (top right) then save the file to the folder as before.

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on,

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#3 Katsmom

Katsmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for your reply, Casey. ;) Yes, I did try manually downloading, unzipping, and installing the definitions file. It didn't help.

I've been browsing here awhile, and read an archived thread describing the same problem I'm having. Assuming this member's problem was legitimate (despite his behavior), the issue isn't unique. I checked everything suggested in that thread by Calamity Jane -- DEP settings, the service properties, etc. Everything was set as it should be.

I'm getting the idea that there's nothing wrong with the downloaded definitions files; but for some reason, the error message pops up by mistake. I haven't run a complete scan yet, because I thought it would be pointless. But maybe I should, just to see if anything shows up (which would require definition files to find).

I forgot to add earlier that I use Norton Internet Security for antivirus and firewall. I have other anti-adware/anti-spyware programs installed, as many others do. I don't think there's a conflict, though.

#4 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:11 PM

hi,

ok, well that was just a thought, but in that case you are probably right - there will be nothing wrong with the def file.

norton has seemed to be the cause of some problems, have a look in the ad-aware 2008 forum, have you tried installing/running/updating with the norton suite turned off? if not, i'd recommend doing so,

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#5 Katsmom

Katsmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:39 AM

Casey boy, I appreciate your trying to help me. I did try updating the definitions with Norton Internet Security disabled in the past, and I tried it again today. It makes no difference. I tried disabling the Spybot Search & Destroy service before updating, and tried closing Windows Defender. My problem remains.

I did run a complete scan today, and it found one privacy object (MRU). Maybe that means the definitions are installed, even though the error messages continue. I don't know. I've attached another screenshot showing another error message I keep getting. This one pops up when I first open the program. You can see the update was done (again) today -- but the message says my definitions are outdated. :)

LS Calamity Jane... You seem to help many people posting in these forums. I don't know if you missed my post (the topic), due to SheriffStv posting about a different issue -- or if you have no comments for me about my problem. I really am hoping to get some help here. :D If not, I'll have to uninstall Ad-Aware 2008 and try going back to the original Ad-Aware SE (with self-updating from your server), or just find another product to replace it.

Ad_Aware_Screen__3.GIF

Mod. Edit. Split separate topic. Casey

Edited by casey_boy, 17 July 2008 - 06:11 AM.

#6 Raziel v. Nosgoth

Raziel v. Nosgoth

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 3114 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:00 AM

Hi Katsmom :D
Have you cleaned your system from all SE traces after uninstalling ?
Cheerio
Raziel :)
vae victis
( morituri te salutant )

#7 Katsmom

Katsmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:07 PM

Yes, Raziel, I have. I always delete temp files, and I use CCleaner to help clean the registry. I don't think that's the problem, but I really appreciate your reply. I don't understand why my posts are being ignored by LS Calamity Jane (Lavasoft?), but there must be a reason. :)

I have to believe that Ad-Aware 2008 is not compatible with Vista 64-bit operating systems; at least, not with Vista Ultimate. If I knew that for sure, I'd uninstall the program and (like before) wait until a compatible version was released. It's not a big deal; after all, the program is free for me, so I can't really complain. Please Lavasoft... some feedback? :) :huh: :huh:

#8 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:37 AM

Katsmom,

I'm not ignoring you, I just don't have any answers. Sometimes Norton Internet Security is the problem (connecting through the firewall) and sometimes it is Vista.

I have one Vista test PC that it runs fine on, but then today, setting up another, I had nothing but headaches. I could install Ad-Aware using *run as Administrator* but the darn updates simply gave an error every time. I ended up disabling UAC to get through and that worked. Do you know how to do that (temporarily)?
http://vistasupport....unt_control.htm

I'm a malware researcher and the Forums Admin (trying to keep things in the forum running smoothly), but not a programmer nor even an expert user of Ad-Adware like some of the volunteers here working hard to help you out.
Please do NOT send Private Messages to Staff or helpers to request assistance! We do not give a personal support via PM The way to request help is to post a NEW TOPIC in the appropriate forum.

Look for the *New Topic* Button near the top right when viewing the forums.

Here in the forums, replies are posted to topics only. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Plus and Pro Ad-Aware users (only) may use the Support Center for personal assistance:
Support Center

Microsoft MVP/Windows - Security 2003-2009

#9 Katsmom

Katsmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:41 PM

Thank you so much for your reply, LS CalamityJane. :D I'm going to try disabling UAC temporarily, and see if that resolves the problem. l understand that you're not a programmer, but you can communicate relevant information about Ad-Aware technical issues to the Lavasoft programmers... who can (hopefully) fix it. You helped me already, just by getting a Vista test computer to reproduce the same errors I'm experiencing. Is the second Vista test computer a 64-bit operating system (like mine)? Is it a Vista Ultimate (like mine), vs. Vista Home Premium? Does it have Norton Internet Security as its firewall? Anyway... I'll try your suggestion, and let you know what happens.

#10 Katsmom

Katsmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:53 PM

I tried disabling UAC, and it made no difference. Then I completely uninstalled Ad-Aware 2008; used CCleaner to verify uninstalling all traces of the previous installation; and then reinstalled Ad-Aware 2008 with UAC disabled. Nothing changed, whatsoever. The error messages remained, as did the "corrupted" definitions file. :rolleyes:

I started to do a Smart Scan, and got the usual warning about the definitions file. I ended the scan, and then found something interesting in the scan log. I'm inserting a screenshot of this portion of the scan log. Take a look at the information about the current Database Info: :o

Ad_Aware_Screen__4.GIF

1969? :D Perhaps this will give the Lavasoft programmers a clue about what's wrong.

Edit: Casey boy... Thank you for editing the thread and moving the other members' posts to a separate thread. I greatly appreciate it. :D

Edited by Katsmom, 19 July 2008 - 07:59 PM.

#11 Raziel v. Nosgoth

Raziel v. Nosgoth

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 3114 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:48 AM

Hi Katsmom :o
pls download and install ' HijackThis ' from TrendMicro's,
run a scan and copy/paste the logfile in your next reply.
A nice day
Raziel :D
vae victis
( morituri te salutant )

#12 Katsmom

Katsmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:38 PM

Okay, Raziel, here it is. I hope this helps. :) I've used Hijack This for many years.

I edited my proxy URL, for privacy reasons, but I don't use it except to check work e-mail (VPN connection). It's never active when I try to update Ad-Aware.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:37:11 PM, on 7/20/2008
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
c:\Program Files (x86)\Bioscrypt\VeriSoft\Bin\AsGHost.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAAnotif.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QLBCTRL.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Spyware Terminator\SpywareTerminatorShield.Exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\WinPatrol.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\HpqToaster.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\PROGRA~2\Crawler\Toolbar\CToolbar.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = (*edited for privacy - not using proxy when trying to update Ad-Aware)
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1CB20BF0-BBAE-40A7-93F4-6435FF3D0411} - C:\PROGRA~2\Crawler\Toolbar\ctbr.dll
O2 - BHO: NCO 2.0 IE BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\2.5\coIEPlg.dll
O2 - BHO: Symantec Intrusion Prevention - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\IDS\IPSBHO.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: VeriSoft Access Manager - {DF21F1DB-80C6-11D3-9483-B03D0EC10000} - c:\Program Files (x86)\Bioscrypt\VeriSoft\Bin\ItIEAddIn.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Crawler Toolbar - {4B3803EA-5230-4DC3-A7FC-33638F3D3542} - C:\PROGRA~2\Crawler\Toolbar\ctbr.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Show Norton Toolbar - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\2.5\CoIEPlg.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl] %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CognizanceTS] rundll32.exe c:\PROGRA~2\BIOSCR~1\VeriSoft\Bin\ASTSVCC.dll,RegisterModule
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpywareTerminator] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Spyware Terminator\SpywareTerminatorShield.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] "C:\Program Files (x86)\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe" -expressboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Launcher] %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Crawler Search - tbr:iemenu
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {193C772A-87BE-4B19-A7BB-445B226FE9A1} (ewidoOnlineScan Control) - http://downloads.ewi...oOnlineScan.cab
O16 - DPF: {26FCCDF9-A7E1-452A-A73D-7BF7B4D0BA6C} (AOL Pictures Uploader Class) - http://o.aolcdn.com/...ns.10.6.0.8.cab
O18 - Protocol: tbr - {4D25FB7A-8902-4291-960E-9ADA051CFBBF} - C:\PROGRA~2\Crawler\Toolbar\ctbr.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: APSHook.dll
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files (x86)\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Application Layer Gateway Service (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\LiveUpdate\AluSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\CISVC.EXE,-1 (CISVC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\CISVC.EXE (file missing)
O23 - Service: CyberLink Background Capture Service (CBCS) (CLCapSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\QuickPlay\Kernel\TV\CLCapSvc.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink Task Scheduler (CTS) (CLSched) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\QuickPlay\Kernel\TV\CLSched.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: @dfsrres.dll,-101 (DFSR) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\DFSR.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMON) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAANTMon.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LuComServer_3_4.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Netlogon - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Protected Storage (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SBSD Security Center Service (SBSDWSCService) - Safer Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe,-101 (slsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\SLsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Print Spooler (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Spyware Terminator Realtime Shield Service (sp_rssrv) - Crawler.com - C:\Program Files (x86)\Spyware Terminator\sp_rsser.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Interactive Services Detection (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Virtual Disk (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Vongo Service - Starz Entertainment Group LLC - C:\Program Files (x86)\Vongo\VongoService.exe
O23 - Service: Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Block Level Backup Engine Service (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 10967 bytes

Mod.Edit/ O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Launcher] %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe ?

Edited by Raziel v. Nosgoth, 21 July 2008 - 03:16 PM.

#13 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:45 PM

There is nothing wrong on that HijackThis log.

THe problem is in your screenshot showing that there are no updates on your Ad-Aware program so something is blocking the updates. I just installed the free version again on yet another Vista machine and it will fetch program updates during the install and it will install those and then fetch the definitions updates. It looks like you have neither, so the problem is in whatever is blocking the program from getting the updates it needs. Turning off UAC temporarily in Vista while you install Ad-Aware works fine so it is probably one of your security programs.

Look in this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\logs

Update.log - - - - open this file, copy and paste the results here

It will probably show updates malfunction but I don't think it will show why or what is blocking them.
Please do NOT send Private Messages to Staff or helpers to request assistance! We do not give a personal support via PM The way to request help is to post a NEW TOPIC in the appropriate forum.

Here in the forums, replies are posted to topics only. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Plus and Pro Ad-Aware users (only) may use the Support Center for personal assistance:
Support Center

#14 Katsmom

Katsmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:14 PM

Thanks again for your help, LS CalamityJane. :) I'm wondering it maybe the updates are, in fact, installed -- but the validation process isn't working -- so the program generates the error messages? Of course, this log says the downloads were validated. :) Anyway... here's my Ad-Aware 2008 update.log which includes my last attempted update, and the many times I tried to repeat it (but was told definitions were up to date). I'd just uninstalled and reinstalled the program (again):

------------------------
19.07.2008 15:11:39: Initialized
19.07.2008 15:11:39: Server type: Free
19.07.2008 15:11:39: Fetching update xml from server
19.07.2008 15:11:39: Failed connecting to server free.2008.download.lavasoft.com:443

------------------------
19.07.2008 15:16:08: Initialized
19.07.2008 15:16:08: Server type: Free
19.07.2008 15:16:08: Fetching update xml from server
(compressed) https://free.2008.do...-aware01.datlzm : Compressed file not found, retrying with uncompressed version
(compressed) https://free.2008.do...c/news08.datlzm : Compressed file not found, retrying with uncompressed version
19.07.2008 15:16:11: Updated news file
19.07.2008 15:16:11: Server type: Free

------------------------
19.07.2008 15:16:15: Initialized
19.07.2008 15:16:15: Server type: Free

------------------------
19.07.2008 15:18:20: Initialized
19.07.2008 15:18:20: Server type: Free
19.07.2008 15:18:20: Server type: Free
(compressed) https://download.lav...ublic/closedlzm : Compressed file not found, retrying with uncompressed version
19.07.2008 15:18:23: WOW64 active
19.07.2008 15:18:23: Process is running as administrator
19.07.2008 15:18:23: Updating component(s) selected by GUI
19.07.2008 15:18:23: Downloading https://download.lav...8/aawserviceexe : (compressed) verification successful, 611664 bytes received
19.07.2008 15:18:26: Downloading https://download.lav...aw2008/ceapidll : (compressed) verification successful, 804200 bytes received
19.07.2008 15:18:29: Downloading https://download.lav...008/ad-awareexe : (compressed) verification successful, 3158344 bytes received
19.07.2008 15:18:44: Successfully updated dependency 1
19.07.2008 15:18:44: Downloading https://download.lav...aremanual-enchm : (compressed) verification successful, 2146934 bytes received
19.07.2008 15:19:10: Successfully updated dependency 33
19.07.2008 15:19:10: Downloading https://download.lav...aw2008/enlslang : (compressed) verification successful, 76887 bytes received
19.07.2008 15:19:11: Successfully updated dependency 35
19.07.2008 15:19:11: Downloading https://download.lav...hreatworkexex64 : (compressed) verification successful, 593760 bytes received
19.07.2008 15:19:13: Successfully updated dependency 41
19.07.2008 15:19:13: Sending terminate event to service aawservice.exe ( aawservice )
19.07.2008 15:19:13: Sending terminate event to Ad-Aware.exe
19.07.2008 15:19:13: Sending terminate event to Ad-Watch.exe
19.07.2008 15:19:13: Successfully installed dependency 1
19.07.2008 15:19:13: Successfully installed dependency 33
19.07.2008 15:19:13: Successfully installed dependency 35
19.07.2008 15:19:13: Sending terminate event to ThreatWork.exe
19.07.2008 15:19:13: Successfully installed dependency 41
19.07.2008 15:19:15: Restarting service aawservice
19.07.2008 15:19:20: Restarting C:\Program Files (x86)\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Ad-Aware.exe

------------------------
19.07.2008 15:19:46: Initialized
19.07.2008 15:19:46: Server type: Free
19.07.2008 15:19:46: Server type: Free

------------------------
19.07.2008 15:19:51: Initialized
19.07.2008 15:19:51: Server type: Free

------------------------
19.07.2008 15:22:16: Initialized
19.07.2008 15:22:16: Server type: Free
19.07.2008 15:22:17: Server type: Free

------------------------
19.07.2008 15:22:17: Initialized
19.07.2008 15:22:17: Server type: Free

------------------------
19.07.2008 15:24:46: Initialized
19.07.2008 15:24:46: Server type: Free
19.07.2008 15:24:46: Server type: Free

------------------------
19.07.2008 15:24:51: Initialized
19.07.2008 15:24:51: Server type: Free

------------------------
19.07.2008 15:24:57: Initialized
19.07.2008 15:24:57: Server type: Free
19.07.2008 15:24:57: Server type: Free

------------------------
19.07.2008 15:25:01: Initialized
19.07.2008 15:25:01: Server type: Free

------------------------
19.07.2008 15:27:01: Initialized
19.07.2008 15:27:01: Server type: Free
19.07.2008 15:27:01: Server type: Free

------------------------
19.07.2008 15:27:02: Initialized
19.07.2008 15:27:02: Server type: Free

------------------------
19.07.2008 15:50:35: Initialized
19.07.2008 15:50:35: Server type: Free
19.07.2008 15:50:35: Fetching update xml from server
(compressed) https://free.2008.do...-aware01.datlzm : Compressed file not found, retrying with uncompressed version
19.07.2008 15:50:37: Server type: Free

------------------------
19.07.2008 15:50:41: Initialized
19.07.2008 15:50:41: Server type: Free

------------------------
20.07.2008 02:58:57: Initialized
20.07.2008 02:58:57: Server type: Free
20.07.2008 02:58:57: Fetching update xml from server
20.07.2008 02:58:59: Server type: Free

------------------------
20.07.2008 02:59:04: Initialized
20.07.2008 02:59:04: Server type: Free

------------------------
21.07.2008 14:27:05: Initialized
21.07.2008 14:27:05: Server type: Free
21.07.2008 14:27:05: Fetching update xml from server
21.07.2008 14:27:07: Server type: Free

------------------------
21.07.2008 14:27:12: Initialized
21.07.2008 14:27:12: Server type: Free

------------------------
21.07.2008 14:27:25: Initialized
21.07.2008 14:27:25: Server type: Free
21.07.2008 14:27:25: Server type: Free

------------------------
21.07.2008 14:27:30: Initialized
21.07.2008 14:27:30: Server type: Free

#15 Raziel v. Nosgoth

Raziel v. Nosgoth

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 3114 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:07 AM

Hi :D
@ Katsmom
pls download and install Wicu ( Windows Installer CleanUp Utility/Freeware by MS )
run Wicu and delete all SE references ( if present ).

@ Calamity Jane
Spoiler

Cheerio
Raziel :(

Edited by Raziel v. Nosgoth, 22 July 2008 - 08:09 AM.

vae victis
( morituri te salutant )

#16 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:11 PM

@Raz that is perfectly normal on a Vista machine.

@Katsmom,

Thanks for the update log. Please don't uninstall/reinstall again. Show what the scan screen now shows after those updates.

I'm not expert enough to see any problems in the Update log but I can possibly point someone to this thread who can read them.

Support Center

#17 Katsmom

Katsmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:13 AM

Thanks again, Raziel and LS CalamityJane. :) I did what Raziel suggested, having read his post earlier. This is a good program to have, and I'm glad you told me about it... but it didn't resolve the problem. It did find something old from Ad-Aware though, which I removed:

Ad_Aware_Screen__5.GIF

I didn't uninstall/reinstall, but I did try turning off both Spyware Terminator and Win Patrol, since both run in the background and could have interfered. But there was no change; the problem remained.

I did this before, but I wanted to try it again. If there was something interfering with my ability to download the definitions through the program, then manually downloading them, unzipping them, and placing the file in the correct folder should resolve that issue... right? So I downloaded the definitions manually again. I got the exact same result:

Ad_Aware_Screen__7.GIF

Ad_Aware_Screen__8.GIF

Ad_Aware_Screen__9.GIF

I'm certainly not an expert either, but I'm pretty sure by now that the problem lies in the programming for Vista Ultimate 64bit computers. Each time I first installed the program, it opened with no definitions present, whatsoever. LS CalamityJane, I think you said that the program should have definitions already present when Ad-Aware is first installed, and they just have to be updated. So my topic could actually be "Unable to find any definitions, whatsoever." :rolleyes: BTW... Yes, I did download the Ad-Aware 2008 installation file more than once, from different mirrors -- just to make sure the program download itself wasn't corrupted.

I don't know what's left to try anymore. It would be great if a Lavasoft programmer could read this thread and comment. If nothing else, maybe my experience and screenshots will help fix the problem in the future.

#18 Katsmom

Katsmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:37 AM

#19 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:41 PM

hey again,

did you say that this installer was a new download from the website? cos it says in your install logs that the installed version is 7.1.0.7 when it should be 7.1.0.10 and yeh i know thats updated but im sure the newest installer installed at least v 7.1.0.8

also your screenshots show not only corrupt definition files but the current version is 'not available'.

i have uploaded the 7.1.0.10 ad-aware file link below, if you could then manually install (ie replace) and see what happens? the folder is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware

I'm not sure it will work cos i run vista 32bit but it might be worth a shot, you've got nothing to loose lol.

Casey

Edited by casey_boy, 23 July 2008 - 11:44 PM.
attatchment removed

#20 Katsmom

Katsmom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:13 PM

Hi Casey boy. You actually read that log? :rolleyes: OK, I downloaded your .zip file, but need more clarification, please. Is this file (unzipped) only the Ad-Aware.exe file, to be replaced? That's what it sounds like, but I want to be sure. I'm going to try this, even though I checked my Ad-Aware.exe properties and found it's the version you mentioned. I'm not sure why the installation log showed a different version, unless (attempting to) update the definitions also updates the version? Here's a screenshot of my currently installed Ad-Aware.exe properties:

Ad_Aware_Screen__10.GIF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users