5 replies to this topic

#1 erniesparks

erniesparks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:33 PM

I'm back after an absence. I see evidence of definition update troubles and failures among the forum topics. Here is what I do now.
I start Ad-Aware Plus 2007 every day. It starts a definition update. About once a week there is an update. But the update doesn't work. It just runs too long and finishes with version number zapped to 0000.0000. So I just terminate it. I get all my other routine stuff finished. Later the same day I start Ad-Aware Plus 2007 again. Usually this leads to a successful update with a properly incremented version number. Then I can initiate a manual scan to taste. Fortunately, Ad-Aware is not my primary internet badstuff finder, so I am not losing that much. But as a paying customer I do feel bad about the stickiness of update service. I switched in 2008 from free Ad-Aware to paid Ad-Aware just so I could occasionally make a nuisance of myself. Hi to Jane. Ernie :)

Edited by erniesparks, 03 July 2008 - 11:44 PM.

#2 Pierre67

Pierre67

Valued Member and Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:14 AM

I am surprised you have not updated to AAW 2008. Jane is possibly having a day off (4 July in US).
regards, Peter.

I do NOT use Lavasoft Ad-Aware and do NOT work for Lavasoft. I just monitor the Forum from time to time.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT!!!

#3 erniesparks

erniesparks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:33 PM

Pierre,
I am not surprised. I logged on the other day to see whether 2008 package might be trouble-free, but apparently it is not. I might upgrade after a while, but I tend to follow your very good motto: IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT!!! In short, I don't really understand what differentiates 2008 from earlier versions. That is usually the case with helper softwares I use (not understanding). I have no complaint (well, almost no complaint) with the 2007 scan. Thanks for your reply. Ernie :)

Edited by erniesparks, 04 July 2008 - 04:37 PM.

#4 erniesparks

erniesparks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:39 PM

This morning I got Ad-Aware 2008 Plus 7.1.0.10 with definitions version 100 pushed down to me. I won't say NO to that. The update is complete and it does function. So, byebye 2007! ;)

#5 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hi Ernie! :)

These days malware is changing and changing fast so it is an ongoing effort for us to keep up with the new routines. Our latest Ad-Aware 2008 is recommended over 2007 version simply because all fixes and program updates are going into the 2008 version right now. As a paid customer, you also have the added benefit of the new extended engine that features antivirus protection in addition to our own Lavasoft Ad-aware updates. So yes, it will update more often and sometimes means more time getting updates, but you are much better protected with the 2008 version.

It is always recommended to keep ALL of your security software updated to the latest version for the same reasons. Every manufacturer is constantly updating versions for new threats.

And stay tuned for more new versions as we plan to have another one coming out later this year.
Please do NOT send Private Messages to Staff or helpers to request assistance! We do not give a personal support via PM The way to request help is to post a NEW TOPIC in the appropriate forum.

Look for the *New Topic* Button near the top right when viewing the forums.

Here in the forums, replies are posted to topics only. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Plus and Pro Ad-Aware users (only) may use the Support Center for personal assistance:
Support Center

Microsoft MVP/Windows - Security 2003-2009

#6 erniesparks

erniesparks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:31 PM

Hi Jane,

... added benefit of ... antivirus protection

That sounds great! Now I get the benefit of two full independent scans. Thank you for that explanation.

I will probably remain a foot-dragger about software revisions until those updates are actually put down to me. But I allow (and even force down) definition updates every single day.

Nice to hear from you! :unsure:

Ernie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users