• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bomono

bomono

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:31 AM

I'm having a problem where I can't open new Ad-Aware 2008/free version. It's asking me what program to open it with (already downloaded by the way). I can't find a program to open it with--even when I followed the link whereby Microsoft searched for a program, and never did this before. This is also happening with other programs though so I think it could all be related. Any ideas? I'm baffled.

#2 Raziel v. Nosgoth

Raziel v. Nosgoth

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 3114 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:23 AM

Hi bomono :D
pls try this ...
Start/run > type 'services.msc' > enter > locate Ad-Aware and right-click it >
Properties > Auto-start > enable 'local Account' > checkmark 'Data transfer'

error_1920.JPG

If this doesn't work, download and install 'HijackThis' -
run a scan -and copy/paste the logfile in your next reply.
Cheerio
Raziel :D
vae victis
( morituri te salutant )

#3 Txnnok

Txnnok

Ad-Aware 2008 Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:55 PM

Some how you've changed your system's default settings for what to do with a program. Find Auto Play in your control panel and set install or run for software and games.
If this isn't what your talking about and want to view the files inside the folder. Somehow you have changed the protocol for how your computer opens a file. These are pics of of a vista sytem's,control panel>programs> then under default programs is a list of different options including autoplay and file protocolol. I don't remember if xp has this, but it should have something similar. Also, when you choose a file to look at you have to have a program, the ones I underlined for example could be opened with notepad or something similar like word or wordpad. There is a good chance it will come out scrambled. In that case you need the correct program to view it,your log files will be ok to with notepad.
The x'd out ones don't try to open these type of files, they not for viewing.

autoplay.jpg protocol.jpg

view.jpg

If this doesn't help and what Raz said to do doesn't work, you probably have something else going on and need to do what he said with the hijack this log.

Windows 8.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users