• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 sunnymark

sunnymark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:01 PM

I attempted to run an Adaware 2007 scan but it would not open. So I tried to uninstall the program and re -install but it will not uninstall from my windows xp. it goes so far but then I get an error message
"Error 1921 Service adaware 2007 service(aawservice) could not be stopped. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to stop system services" Then a window to attempt to retry which just goes through the unsuccessful uninstalling process again.
This is crazy situation ,not being able to remove software . Can anyone offer advice :)

#2 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:06 PM

try to stop the service manually and then uninstall.

To do this, make sure you are logged on as an administrator.

Then start > run > type services.msc > find Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service > top left click Stop

then try and uninstall.

Hope that works.

Casey

PS. try installing ad-aware 2008 rather than reinstalling 2007. It's the new and improved version.

Available here

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#3 sunnymark

sunnymark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:14 PM

the service window does not give me an option to stop adaware when I click on it, Tell me exactly what you are saying , Do i just click on adaware and highlight it and then go to control panel and try to uninstall? because there's no "stop" option in service. I donot want to install more lavasoft software unless it helps me rid of this software which is currently unremovable . I think Lavasoft should not have software available thats so difficult to remove

try to stop the service manually and then uninstall.

To do this, make sure you are logged on as an administrator.

Then start > run > type services.msc > find Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service > top left click Stop

then try and uninstall.

Hope that works.

Casey

PS. try installing ad-aware 2008 rather than reinstalling 2007. It's the new and improved version.

Available here

Edited by sunnymark, 03 June 2008 - 03:25 PM.

#4 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:30 PM

Ok I'd like you to go back to the serviecs window. Right Click on the Lavasoft Ad-Aware servie and then click stop.

Is that option available?

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#5 sunnymark

sunnymark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:35 PM

Ok I'd like you to go back to the serviecs window. Right Click on the Lavasoft Ad-Aware servie and then click stop.

Is that option available?

No its not available, It does show that lavasoft Ad-Adaware Service "Status" as "starting" where as all other programmes show status as "Started" I dont know why this is as I am not running adaware 2007 at the moment and it seems stuck on starting with no option on service links to stop it

Edited by sunnymark, 03 June 2008 - 03:43 PM.

#6 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

Well then it sounds as though the service has not started properly.

Please restart you computer and see if the service is responsive then. If it is, you should be able to uninstall.

Post back and let us know,

#7 sunnymark

sunnymark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:58 PM

Well then it sounds as though the service has not started properly.

Please restart you computer and see if the service is responsive then. If it is, you should be able to uninstall.

Post back and let us know,

I have re started my Computer and in the service window adaware services are still showing status as "starting" It seems impossible to stop it . There must be a way because I think it is slowing down my Pc s operating . How can I stop and remove this program?

#8 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:04 PM

Right so something is wrong with the service. So please go back to the services window and right click on the ad-aware service.

Click on Properties > Start up type > Disabled (NB this is only for your particular issue, we never recommend doing this for other users.)

Then you'll have to restart again (sorry about that) and then go back to the services window. You should see that the Lavasoft service has NOT started.

Then you should be able to uninstall.

Let us know,

#9 sunnymark

sunnymark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:18 PM

Right so something is wrong with the service. So please go back to the services window and right click on the ad-aware service.

Click on Properties > Start up type > Disabled (NB this is only for your particular issue, we never recommend doing this for other users.)

Then you'll have to restart again (sorry about that) and then go back to the services window. You should see that the Lavasoft service has NOT started.

Then you should be able to uninstall.

Let us know,

Thank You , I have uninstalled it now. I want to install Adaware 2008 if its ok. The link you gave me is conditional on signing up with other services where can i download FREE without other commitments.

#10 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:22 PM

Glad that's worked for you ;)

If you click on the link I gave you then the free version, a pop up page will offer you to do the trial pay or you can click on the left button which says 'Download' this will then redirect you to another site to download (download.com) it completely free of charge and no commitments.

Hope 2008 works for you, if you have problems with it then please start a new topic in this or the 2008 forum. I'll close this topic for now. PM me if you need it reopening.

Casey

Edited by casey_boy, 03 June 2008 - 06:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users