• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 shaney

shaney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:08 PM

I just downloaded Adaware '08. I got updates without problems but it won't scan. The current path and object both say "waiting for scanner". The timer is moving but nothing else happens. Then it comes back done and nothing is found. When you check scan status, nothing is run. HELP please. I am a novice and don't know what to do.

#2 lynz

lynz

Ad-Aware 2008 Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:43 AM

hi shaney,
Have you tried updating the software, not the definition files,the sctual software? There was a new software update that seems to have fixed the freezing during scans issue for many users, you could give that a try.

From start click on All Programs > Lavasoft > AdAware > Software Update and let it go to the download center and get the newest updates, then try to scan again.

BTW, don't give up on the scan too soon, it does sometimes take 30- 60 seconds of "waiting for scanner" before it begins to show any files being scanned.

Post back and let me know if this works for you :)

I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn

#3 MoBo2512

MoBo2512

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:01 PM

Same problem here.. downloaded and installed AA2008 and after updating the scan doesnt start.
I tryed the software update und updated the def. files... no change

u click "scan" and a message appeares with "waiting for scanner" after 30 sec the scan is finished without 1 object scanned...

thought i did something wrong and deinstalled the prog, reinstalled it -> no change

I dont get any error message..

so, any other ideas?

#4 lynz

lynz

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:33 PM

Hi MoBo2512,
Could you post back and let me know what other security software- firewall, anti-virus and other malware scanners- you have running on your computer, it's possible that one of them is interfering with the installation or the scan itself.
Also, did you have AdAaware SE or 2007 installed on your system, if so, how did you remove them? Sometimes a few files from the older programs are left behind after an un-install and they can also have an effect on the installation of the 2008 program :)

#5 MoBo2512

MoBo2512

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:16 AM

mhh my antivir is kaspersky antivirus ... no other malware-scanners running.

previus AA SE has been installed.. i removed it with the control panel of windows.. so there should be no files left. No entries under software, no folders left..

I never had problems with running kaspersky and AA SE at the same time.

Sorry for my bad english.. i hope u know what i have done.. i'm not sure if control panel is the right term for the german equivalent.
Start-> control panel -> software -> remove.. thats what i have done..

#6 lynz

lynz

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:10 AM

Hi MoBo2512,
Sometimes the unistallers in Windows don't get rid of everything, you need to do a few other things to make sure all the old installation files are gone. First you need to uninstall AdAware so you can do a clean install, hopefully that will get things working for you.
This time, instead of the windows Add/Remove Programs try using the built-in uninstaller that comes with AdAware;
Start > All Programs > Lavasoft >Adaware >Uninstall AdAware
Next you need to download the MS windows installer clean up tool (it is a free download).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Run the tool and delete any entries it finds for Adaware or Lavasoft.
After it has removed all references to old installs on your computer you can finish cleaning things up.
Click Start > click run > type cleanmgr and hit enter> drive C> hit ok> then put a checkmark beside Temporary Files/Temporay Internet Files/ Recycle bin> Run

When that is finished, reboot your compter and do a windows search for any AdAware/ Lavasoft files that may have been left behind and delete them. If the search found anything you should reboot your computer again after deleting the files.

Now I want you to shut off your Kaspersky before you start the install, it could be interfering with the download of AdAware or corrupting the files somehow. You can download AdAware 2008 again and save the file to your desktop;
http://lavasoft.com/...le/trialpay.php

Run the installer from your desktop (be sure you are using an account with administrator rights) then let AdAware do it's software and definition file updates (this may take a bit of time). When it has finished updating, shut the program down and restart it then run a scan and see if it works. If you have no problem scanning then go ahead and turn the Kaspersky program back on and scan again, just to be sure it doesn't have any effect on AdAware.
Good luck, let me know if that works for you :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users