• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joe53

joe53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:12 PM

I have Ad-Aware SE Personal, Build 1.06r1, and just noticed that it is not listed in my Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs list. My start menu also contains no "Uninstall Ad-Aware SE Personal" in my "Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal" folder. (Running WinXP).

It may be unrelated, but I just noticed all this after I installed the beta Authenticity Check Add-on.

Meanwhile- how the heck do I uninstall Ad-Aware?
Advice given "as is" without warranty.

"A man's gotta know his limitations" - Harry Callaghan

#2 LS SteveJ (former LS employee)

LS SteveJ (former LS employee)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:20 PM

This maybe due to the install procedure for the Beta Authenticity Check... this post should probably be moved to the Beta Report area....

#3 joe53

joe53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:45 AM

This maybe due to the install procedure for the Beta Authenticity Check... this post should probably be moved to the Beta Report area....

Thank you Steve- I have done just that.

Meanwhile, I have lost all confidence in AAW for the time being, and cannot uninstall it. When I try to install a fresh copy of the latest version (over the same version I already have) I am prompted to uninstall my current version, but this invariably fails.

#4 GRAFX

GRAFX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:24 PM

joe53,
Have you tried starting in safe mode,
Safe mode is the Windows diagnostics mode. When you start the computer in Safe mode, only the specific components that are needed to run the operating system are loaded. Safe mode does not allow some functions, such as connection to the Internet. It also loads a standard video driver at a low resolution; therefore, your programs and the Windows desktop may look different than usual, In addition, the desktop icons may have moved to different locations on the desktop.

All Windows operating systems can be started in Safe mode.
(except Windows 3.1 and Windows NT )
see
How to start the computer in Safe mode
Go to the folder which Ad-aware SE is installed in, usually
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware SE\
and then double click on the unregaaw.exe to run it
click "start",
click "my computer",
click "C" Drive,
Clcik "Program files",
click "Lavasoft",
click "Ad-aware SE"
Then Locate and double-click on the file named "unregaaw.exe".
That will remove the startup folder from popping up.

This probably happened due to an error in the uninstall program for previous version of your Ad-aware.

GRAFX Posted Image
press Enter then have a Brandy then if the problem is still there have another Brandy
Q: does it work
A: It does seem to for a few hours at least
LandzDown

#5 joe53

joe53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:34 AM

GRAFX:

Thanks for that info. I solved my uninstall problem by re-installing AAW over itself, and ignoring that dire warning about uninstalling a previous version first. (I had no 'previous version' just the same current version). That enabled me to uninstall via the usual route in Add or Remove Programs.

This probably happened due to an error in the uninstall program for previous version of your Ad-aware.

That's the odd thing- I had no previous version. Just the current build I installed but once a few months back as soon as I got this PC. And which has worked without problems from day one. I have no idea what caused it to disappear from my Add/Remove list, and the only thing I can relate it to was this Authenticity Check (which turned up nothing). AFAIK, this PC has never contracted anything worse than tracking cookies, according to my multitude of scanners...

Anyways, I then re-installed AAW, and note that the uninstall options are back where they belong. Once Lavasoft sorts this current problem out, I'll probably even use it again.

Thanks again.

#6 Corrine

Corrine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:34 AM

Hi, joe53. Keep in mind that the Authenticity Add-On is as advertised -- beta software. That means that there *could* be glitches in the program, something people frequently forget.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users