Photo

Newest defs.ref update CRIPPLES Ad-Aware AGAIN!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scottbbb

scottbbb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:13 PM

Sorry- Typo in Subject- defs.ref file date should be 13.05.2008

This same problem just happened last month, and here it is again!

Ad-Aware SE is rendered USELESS after downloading the latest Definitions File.

I had to load the OLD defs.ref file (fortunately I use the option to save the old file when updating), and only then did Ad-Aware start detecting critical objects again.

I sure hope this type failure doesn't become a monthly event.

Lavasoft: I know you no longer support Ad-Aware SE, and those of us who still use it really appreciate that you still provide regular Definitions File updates, but giving us CORRUPT updates is worse than no updates at all!

For me it is easy to tell when Ad-Aware stops working, because it always deletes the login cookie for my homepage, so I have to login everyday after starting my computer; If my homepage logs me in automatically, then Ad-Aware failed.

But not everyone can tell when Ad-Aware stops detecting & deleting critical objects, so a bug like this can be disastrous to those who just assume that Ad-Aware is actually doing it's job!

PLEASE be more careful in the future...

Edited by scottbbb, 14 May 2008 - 05:17 PM.

#2 gelert

gelert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:50 PM

Ad-Aware SE is rendered USELESS after downloading the latest Definitions File.

I had to load the OLD defs.ref file (fortunately I use the option to save the old file when updating), and only then did Ad-Aware start detecting critical objects again.

I sure hope this type failure doesn't become a monthly event.

Lavasoft: I know you no longer support Ad-Aware SE, and those of us who still use it really appreciate that you still provide regular Definitions File updates, but giving us CORRUPT updates is worse than no updates at all!

For me it is easy to tell when Ad-Aware stops working, because it always deletes the login cookie for my homepage, so I have to login everyday after starting my computer; If my homepage logs me in automatically, then Ad-Aware failed.

But not everyone can tell when Ad-Aware stops detecting & deleting critical objects, so a bug like this can be disastrous to those who just assume that Ad-Aware is actually doing it's job!

BIZARRE...! Latest defs.ref works for me across THREE PC's...! AdWatch is picking stuff up, which is the test that I use! :D

Maybe I need to allow "an infection" to occur, in order to properly test it! ;)

Mmmmm....I'll try it tomorrow.
XP Pro SP3; ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite v8.0.059; WinPatrol Plus v15.9.2008.5; SpywareBlaster v4.1;
Spybot S&D v1.6.0.31 (TeaTimer Disabled); Piriform CCleaner v2.15.815; MBSA x86 v2.1; WICU rubbish;
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe; AMD Athlon Newcastle 64 Processor 3500+; Sata RAID 1 (Mirror) 70Gb Raptors;
Corsair XMS3200 2GB 2x1024MB DDR CAS2; Asus Probe II, and Cool n'Quiet enabled in BIOS.
A little blue thing that goes "Whoop" on alternate Tuesdays.
43-byte ASCII input MD5 = 9e107d9d372bb6826bd81d3542a419d6 = "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"
05 August 2008: ex-SE Plus user; ex-AdAware 2008 Plus user. "So long, and thanks for all the fish...."

#3 hammy111

hammy111

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:08 PM

Scottbbb

Same thing has happened to me again, too. Spent an hour last night trying to find a 246 but with no luck. This 247 download here still doesn't work either... I'll try again tomorrow.
Hammy

#4 scottbbb

scottbbb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:53 AM

BIZARRE...! Latest defs.ref works for me across THREE PC's...! AdWatch is picking stuff up, which is the test that I use! :D
Maybe I need to allow "an infection" to occur, in order to properly test it! ;)

Mmmmm....I'll try it tomorrow.

Here is a simple & harmless test to see if Ad-Aware is working: Just point your web browser to www.iwon.com and let the cookies load (you don't have to register or login). Then run Ad-Aware and check its Log when it completes the scan; If it shows the iwon.com cookie under Critical Objects, then Ad-Aware is doing its job.

#5 gelert

gelert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:28 PM

Here is a simple & harmless test to see if Ad-Aware is working: Just point your web browser to www.iwon.com and let the cookies load (you don't have to register or login). Then run Ad-Aware and check its Log when it completes the scan; If it shows the iwon.com cookie under Critical Objects, then Ad-Aware is doing its job.

Neither IE7 or AVG 8.0 would let me near that site...! :rolleyes:

So I didn't disable any more protection... :lol:

Scottbbb - how did you get on with SE1R249 15.05.2008, released today?

Again, I've had no problem with it, in so far as AdWatch is still catching cookies.
Try http://www.autosport.com/
AdWatch should pick-up Cookie: xxxxxx@haynet.adbureau.net/ Size: 205 Bytes.

*edit* CRIKEY....I was about to say that SE1R250 15.05.2008 works fine as the latest update - and BUGGER ME...SE1R251 15.05.2008 has just been released...excuse my language, but LS are 'avin a laff....! HOW MANY UPDATES IN HOW MANY MINUTES....?

Edited by gelert, 15 May 2008 - 06:34 PM.

XP Pro SP3; ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite v8.0.059; WinPatrol Plus v15.9.2008.5; SpywareBlaster v4.1;
Spybot S&D v1.6.0.31 (TeaTimer Disabled); Piriform CCleaner v2.15.815; MBSA x86 v2.1; WICU rubbish;
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe; AMD Athlon Newcastle 64 Processor 3500+; Sata RAID 1 (Mirror) 70Gb Raptors;
Corsair XMS3200 2GB 2x1024MB DDR CAS2; Asus Probe II, and Cool n'Quiet enabled in BIOS.
A little blue thing that goes "Whoop" on alternate Tuesdays.
43-byte ASCII input MD5 = 9e107d9d372bb6826bd81d3542a419d6 = "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"
05 August 2008: ex-SE Plus user; ex-AdAware 2008 Plus user. "So long, and thanks for all the fish...."

#6 hammy111

hammy111

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:10 PM

That was quick! SE1R251 has fixed the problem. Lavasoft are pretty good, aren't they? One satisfied customer here.

Hammy111

#7 eagleman

eagleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:08 PM

That was quick! SE1R251 has fixed the problem. Lavasoft are pretty good, aren't they? One satisfied customer here.

Hammy111

Not for us 98 users anyway....

;)

#8 Raziel v. Nosgoth

Raziel v. Nosgoth

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 3114 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:49 PM

Hi all ;)
pls have a look to >> http://www.lavasofts...s...ost&p=76973 <<