• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 RL1

RL1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:00 PM

I would like to de install Ad-Aware 2007 from my PC but get the following error:

AdAwareProb.gif

Ad-Aware 2007
Error 1402. Could not open Key:
UNKNOWN\Installer\Products\BOB35DEDC76B4424EAA66DDFC3821DFE\SourceList\Media.
Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

I appreciate any help as this program seems to conflict with other programs on my PC and I hope I do not need to re build the PC because of this.

Note that I have Windows Vista

Thank you very much for any help.

Edited by LS CalamityJane, 04 April 2008 - 05:30 PM.
Replaced .bmp attachment with .gif to reduce file size

#2 RL1

RL1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:25 PM

Has anyone out there got any ideas on helping me?

I'd appreciate advice as I am stuck here...

#3 Raziel v. Nosgoth

Raziel v. Nosgoth

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 3114 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:11 PM

Hi RL1 :wub:
the easiest way is to use the Vista System Restore.
Restore to a point before installing AAW and clean the leavings manually.
If you need more advise post back.
Cheerio
Raziel
vae victis
( morituri te salutant )

#4 RL1

RL1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:37 PM

Thanks Raziel,

I will try this. I had a peek this morning and noticed that I have System Restores only going 5 days back (I assume this is the default for Vista?).
The problem I have is that Norton Internet Security 2008 fails to install, and Symantec said they will only help me with that issue once I removed Ad-Aware 2007...
I will restore my PC to the state of 5 days ago (this is just before I tried installing Norton Internet Security 2008) and see if that works.

I will keep you informed.

Thank you for the advice, again.

#5 RL1

RL1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:01 AM

Raziel,

I performed the restore and the problem still persists.

Can you help?

#6 sOulbAit

sOulbAit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

Raziel,

Can you help?

Hi RL1:

I had a similer problem uninstalling ad-aware. I am also running Vista. The error I was having durning uninstall was: error 1606 and it would not uninstall the program.

Here is what I did to uninstall.

#1: Go to your lavasoft directory and delete each file one at a time. (Using Windows Explorier) You will find that you can not delete, four files untill later. But get rid of all you can.
#2: Go to http://www.macecraft.com/ and download JV16 Powertools 2007. (If you have another program that will do a registry search, you can use it.)
#3: Install JV16 Powertools 2007. You will have a 15 day trial, this is a great program.
#4: Run JV16 and you will see an icon that says: Registry Finder. Run that application and for the search word, type in Lavasoft. It will come up with about 20+/- files/siginitures. After it finds them all, look at them to make sure it has Lavasoft somewhere in the description or in one of the colums. Select them all and delete them. It will ask to make a backup and click yes. You will not need it, but just incase. It will delete and then you can exit JV16.
#5: Reboot your computer.
#6 Now go to the lavasoft directory again and you will now be able to delete the files that were unable to delete earlier. Also delete the directory after deleting the files.
#6 Click on your start button and select your search tool. Search for lavasoft and write down each of these shortcuts/directory/etc. Find them using windows explorier and delete these.
#7 That should remover all parts of Lavasoft Ad-aware.

After doing this and if you still have problems with Norton Internet Security 2008. You can go to this page:

http://service1.syma...005033108162039

and download the "Norton Removal Tool". Run that program and then reinstall your Norton Internet Secutiry 2008.

Hope this helps out. I have done this to two of my computers (Vista - XP) so far and getting ready to do my third one (Vista). Lavasoft Ad-Aware use to be a really good program and I think they have let things slip. When they get the bugs out, I will probably reinstall. But I will be checking the forums first to see when there are no more complaints.

If you need further help, Ill check back later to see your post.

sOulbAit

Edited by sOulbAit, 29 February 2008 - 01:21 PM.

#7 Raziel v. Nosgoth

Raziel v. Nosgoth

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 3114 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:06 PM

Raziel,

Can you help?

Hi again :)
I'm not really fit in Vista ( using XP ) .
So I only suggest : create a System Restore point
and delete the files manually .
Clean Programs / temp-files / rec.bin / appl.data.
Hope it helps.
Raziel
vae victis
( morituri te salutant )

#8 RL1

RL1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:17 PM

sOulbAit,

Thank you very much for the advice.

I have a few questions:

1) Can't I use the normal regedit to find these registry entries and remove them?
When you say to run "Registry Finder" in JV16 and search for the word "Lavasoft" for 20+/- files/signatures, is that the same as searching for the word "Lavasoft" in regedit and removing the values?
I use now a program called "Regseeker" and am happy with that.

2) Once I manage to remove all the files/shortcuts/directories etc for Lavasoft from the PC, will the program be listed in the "Add/Remove Programs" in the control panel? Should I worry about this?

3) Yes, I must say I have got used to using Ad-Aware and it gave me a sense of security to run the ad-Aware scans periodically, by it looks like once I resolve this issue I will consider seriously stopping using this product.

Regards, RL1

#9 RL1

RL1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

Thanks Raziel.

If I need to I will resort to that. Obviously I am concerned that the registry will not be clean following this, and the program will be listed in the "Add/Remove Programs" in the control panel.

Regards, RL1

#10 sOulbAit

sOulbAit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:40 PM

sOulbAit,

Thank you very much for the advice.

I have a few questions:

1) Can't I use the normal regedit to find these registry entries and remove them?
When you say to run "Registry Finder" in JV16 and search for the word "Lavasoft" for 20+/- files/signatures, is that the same as searching for the word "Lavasoft" in regedit and removing the values?
I use now a program called "Regseeker" and am happy with that.

2) Once I manage to remove all the files/shortcuts/directories etc for Lavasoft from the PC, will the program be listed in the "Add/Remove Programs" in the control panel? Should I worry about this?

3) Yes, I must say I have got used to using Ad-Aware and it gave me a sense of security to run the ad-Aware scans periodically, by it looks like once I resolve this issue I will consider seriously stopping using this product.

Regards, RL1

Hi RL1:

(1): Yes you can use any program that will do a search. I just looked at the regedit and I think you can only do one search at a time. Then hit F3 to find the next one. If you are familier with that, then yes, give it a try. It may take longer, but should do what you are wanting to do.

(2): Yes it should have removed it. It removed it on mine, if not you can go to this page and it will tell you how to remove it manually:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247501

(3): The program I use now and it is also free is called SuperAntiSpyware.

http://www.superanti...e.com/?rid=3011

Hope this helps.

sOulbAit

#11 RL1

RL1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

sOulbAit,

Thank you for the advice. I will follow it and give you feedback (this may be after the weekend).

RL1

#12 RL1

RL1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:17 AM

sOulbAit,

I followed your advice and performed all the steps above and had no major issues.

The only problem I have now is that "Ad-Aware 2007" is still listed on the "Add/Remove Programs" in the control panel.
I looked at the Microsoft link you gave me to try and remove it manually (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247501) but I can not find any registry entry that says Lavasoft or Ad-Aware. There are many entries there with long numeric names. Any ideas?

I even tried to run the "Add/Remove Programs" for Ad-Aware and it runs the process but fails with the same error I had when first logging this issue.
Ad-Aware 2007

Once I am confident that Ad-Aware 2007 is uninstalled from the PC I will proceed and trying again to install Norton Internet Security 2008.

Thanks for your support, RL1

#13 sOulbAit

sOulbAit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

sOulbAit,

I followed your advice and performed all the steps above and had no major issues.
The only problem I have now is that "Ad-Aware 2007" is still listed on the "Add/Remove Programs" in the control panel.
I looked at the Microsoft link you gave me to try and remove it manually (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247501) but I can not find any registry entry that says Lavasoft or Ad-Aware. There are many entries there with long numeric names. Any ideas?

I even tried to run the "Add/Remove Programs" for Ad-Aware and it runs the process but fails with the same error I had when first logging this issue.
Ad-Aware 2007

Once I am confident that Ad-Aware 2007 is uninstalled from the PC I will proceed and trying again to install Norton Internet Security 2008.

Thanks for your support, RL1

Hi RL1:

I just checked my add/remove programs and I also have Ad-Aware in my list. Let me work on removeing mine and Ill get back with you.

I thought mine was gone, but it is either back or never left.

Talk to you soon.

sOulbAit

#14 RL1

RL1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:57 AM

Thanks, sOulbAit

I must say I am maybe being extra tidy and cautious, but I prefer playing safe.

Regards, RL1

#15 sOulbAit

sOulbAit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:57 AM

Thanks, sOulbAit

I must say I am maybe being extra tidy and cautious, but I prefer playing safe.

Regards, RL1

Hi RL1:
I am the same way as you as being extra tidy and causious.

Ok I found where they are hiding it. I did get it removed from mine. The link I gave you earlier about how to remove it was for xp, 98 etc, but I guess not for Vista, because I could not find it in mine either doing it that way.

I used the JV16 again (you can use regedit) and did a search for ad-aware and it came up with 9 entrys, Most did not look like ad-aware but it was associated with ad-aware. If you look at my list there is no Ad-Aware in the string, but the product name for the string is with Ad-Aware. Not sure if regedit will associat those with ad-aware or not on your search. Here are my entrys I found:

jv16 PowerTools 2008 [1.8.0.444]

Data fields are: Key, Entry's name, Value, Entry last modified

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\B0B35DEDC76B4424EAA66DDFC3821DFE\, ProductName, Ad-Aware 2007, 02.09.2007, 15:42
HKCR\Installer\Products\B0B35DEDC76B4424EAA66DDFC3821DFE\, ProductName, Ad-Aware 2007, 02.09.2007, 15:42
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\B0B35DEDC76B4424EAA66DDFC3821DFE\InstallProperties\, DisplayName, Ad-Aware 2007, 29.02.2008, 06:43
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\aawservice\, DisplayName, Ad-Aware 2007 Service, 29.02.2008, 06:43
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\aawservice\, Description, Ad-Aware service, 29.02.2008, 06:43
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\aawservice\, DisplayName, Ad-Aware 2007 Service, 29.02.2008, 06:43
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\aawservice\, Description, Ad-Aware service, 29.02.2008, 06:43
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aawservice\, DisplayName, Ad-Aware 2007 Service, 29.02.2008, 06:43
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aawservice\, Description, Ad-Aware service, 29.02.2008, 06:43

I beleive one of the first three entrys is holding the info we were looking for. I had JV16 delete all 9 entrys and that was able to remove it from the Add/Remove list. Yaaaaaaa

You can give it a try using your regedit and see if it finds these same ones. Or you can just do it manually and check them out. The "HKLM" is just abreveated for: HKey_Local_Machine.

I am glad you brought this to my attention as my XP computer did not have it in the Add/Remove list but my Vista computer did and now it is gone. :D

Let me know how you do.
Have a great day.
sOulbAit

#16 RL1

RL1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

Hello sOulbAit,

That is interesting. I am not by my PC right now, so I can not check this out straight away.

...but I thought I did search in the registry for "ad-aware" and nothing was returned.

The interesting point is that the failure I get when trying to run "Add/Remove Programs" for Ad-Aware 2007 is as follows:

Ad-Aware 2007
Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

You can see this above in my first entry and print-screen I attached.

When I am back in front of my PC I will investigate further.

Thanks again and regards, RL1

#17 sOulbAit

sOulbAit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

Hello sOulbAit,

That is interesting. I am not by my PC right now, so I can not check this out straight away.

...but I thought I did search in the registry for "ad-aware" and nothing was returned.

The interesting point is that the failure I get when trying to run "Add/Remove Programs" for Ad-Aware 2007 is as follows:

Ad-Aware 2007

You can see this above in my first entry and print-screen I attached.

When I am back in front of my PC I will investigate further.

Thanks again and regards, RL1

Hi RL1:

If you are unable to remove it or do what you want to do using regedit, try regedit32, it is a little bit more powerful command in the registry.

Still may want to give this program a try: http://www.superanti...e.com/?rid=3011

I love it.

sOulbAit

Edited by sOulbAit, 03 March 2008 - 01:04 PM.

#18 RL1

RL1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:18 PM

sOulbAit,

Thanks for the tip. Once I get Norton up and running I will try it out.

I have been using RegSeeker (http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm) for many years and that seems to do the job for me.

Have you heard of this one before?

Regards, RL1

#19 sOulbAit

sOulbAit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:49 PM

sOulbAit,

Thanks for the tip. Once I get Norton up and running I will try it out.

I have been using RegSeeker (http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm) for many years and that seems to do the job for me.

Have you heard of this one before?

Regards, RL1

Thanks RL1:

Ill check it out. I have never heard of it.

The link I gave you was for the spyware program I use. It is awesome.

Thanks for the link.

sOulbgAit

#20 RL1

RL1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:02 PM

sOulbgAit,

Sounds like quite a good recommendation....

Do you bother with Spybot S&D?

Do you use Windows Defender?

Regards, RL1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users