• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mamajean

Mamajean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:45 PM

When I downloaded AdAware 2007, it wouldn't install. The message was "not valid Win32 application". (I tried downloading from each of the mirror sites listed on the Lavasoft main page, but no luck.)
Do any Windows XP users have a suggestion?
;)
PS I had a similar problem to others with AdAdware 2006 not updating. I tried uninstalling it, then reinstalling it from my CD, but it still wouldn't update.

#2 caprig

caprig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

I am having the exact same problem. Glad to know that I am not alone in this.

Someone HELP?

;)

When I downloaded AdAware 2007, it wouldn't install. The message was "not valid Win32 application". (I tried downloading from each of the mirror sites listed on the Lavasoft main page, but no luck.)
:D
PS I had a similar problem to others with AdAdware 2006 not updating. I tried uninstalling it, then reinstalling it from my CD, but it still wouldn't update.

Edited by caprig, 07 February 2008 - 09:04 PM.

#3 Mamajean

Mamajean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:48 AM

Hi Caprig,
This is Mamajean. Thought that I would tell you that I went to the FAQs and did all of the proposed fixes for similar problems and nothing worked, but now I have squeakie clean software.
If no one is able to advise us in the next week or so, I am going to give up on AdAware. I got along without it before last July, so I guess that I can now. Fortunately my Spybot and Avast are working correctly.
Good luck.
Mamajean :)

I am having the exact same problem. Glad to know that I am not alone in this.

Someone HELP?

;)

#4 ques?

ques?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:18 PM

I too cannot get the free AdAware 2007 to install. I dl it as is says to on Lavasoft downloads, then save it to desktop as i do for most dl's, then i go to install it and msg says: "aaw2007.exe is not a valid Win32 app"

I tried a handful of times of dl and installing this, even going to a few different mirror sites to dl and install AdAware 2007.

I had free AdAware Personal SE for many years w/o a problem, yet when i discovered it was not updating, i unstalled it to dl the AdAware 2007 as Lavasoft suggests on their website.

I have WinXP, up to date w/ WindowsUpdate, Windows Firewall on, Windows Defender, free AVG, and Spybot. I like AdAware as well as it always caught a lot of the cookies that i like deleted that the other anti-spy programs do not seem to find. :)

#5 Mamajean

Mamajean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:53 PM

Hi Newbie,

Your issue is a mirror to mine, but I have not received any replies since I posted several weeks ago. So I don't thing that there is much chance that any of us with this issue will get help from this forum.

Here are some suggestions that may work for you, if you haven't done them: First turn off your firewall, virus software, and Spybot ('undo' the immunization function). Then try again to download and install.

Check out the Lavasoft FAQs which give some ideas for tweaking your system. Though they didn't work for me, they may work for you. Then try again.

You might also go to this forum's resolved issues to search for a fix that may help you. Then try again.

If you are successful, please let me know, since I'm still in the dark as to how to fix the problems.

Mamajean :huh:

I too cannot get the free AdAware 2007 to install. I dl it as is says to on Lavasoft downloads, then save it to desktop as i do for most dl's, then i go to install it and msg says: "aaw2007.exe is not a valid Win32 app"

I tried a handful of times of dl and installing this, even going to a few different mirror sites to dl and install AdAware 2007.

I had free AdAware Personal SE for many years w/o a problem, yet when i discovered it was not updating, i unstalled it to dl the AdAware 2007 as Lavasoft suggests on their website.

I have WinXP, up to date w/ WindowsUpdate, Windows Firewall on, Windows Defender, free AVG, and Spybot. I like AdAware as well as it always caught a lot of the cookies that i like deleted that the other anti-spy programs do not seem to find. :unsure:

#6 ques?

ques?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:16 PM

Thank you for your reply Mamajean.
First off wonder what "aaw2007.exe is not a valid Win32 app" means?
I too am not as concerned as i was earlier in getting AdAware 2007 to dl and install. I may already have enough protection as i once was told? in that we do not need 2 anti-spy and/or anti-virus programs? Being i have WinXP up to date w/ WindowsUpdate, the Windows Firewall on, Windows Defender, free AVG, and Spybot, i know i am well protected as it is.
I just was used to having AdAware for years. I have looked online at other tech support websites and no remedy has been submitted yet. I figure lavasoft would be the best place to get advice, yet still no one here seems to have an answer either.
thanks again Mamajean for your reply and suggestion. I had thought of turning off all my protection in order to install the new AdAware (as i recall having to do that before w/ some new software i wanted), yet for now i was leary in doing that, so i like you will just keep my eyes and ears open for a tech support reply.

#7 Mamajean

Mamajean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:03 PM

Hi Newbie,
Thanks for acknowledging my msg.
I checked your questions via phone with a PC guru friend of mine who first told me about Ad-Aware several years ago and he said that the value of this old Ad-Aware SE Personal version 6 program is that it identifies advertizers that can clog up the memory on the PC - no other harm.
With that said, because he is satisfied with the old version, he hasn't researched the new version which may be more of a spyware program. He won't use Windows XP, but rather, uses 2000 which he asserts is a much better program. He has no problem with updates on his old Ad-Aware version 6.
Also he also said that there is no need to have more than one spyware program, that he has the Ad-Aware strictly for decreasing ads.
(By the way, he can't fingure out why my old version of Ad-Aware (which he gave to me a long time ago on a CD) won't update when his does update. He thinks it is a Windows XP problem.)
For antivirus software, I'm using Alavast which is also a free program and I love it.
Like you, I'm using Spybot for spyware, but I'm not familiar with Windows Dedender. What is it?

Also, if you get a tech support answer to you problem, will you let me know?

Thanks.
Mamajean

Thank you for your reply Mamajean.
First off wonder what "aaw2007.exe is not a valid Win32 app" means?
I too am not as concerned as i was earlier in getting AdAware 2007 to dl and install. I may already have enough protection as i once was told? in that we do not need 2 anti-spy and/or anti-virus programs? Being i have WinXP up to date w/ WindowsUpdate, the Windows Firewall on, Windows Defender, free AVG, and Spybot, i know i am well protected as it is.
I just was used to having AdAware for years. I have looked online at other tech support websites and no remedy has been submitted yet. I figure lavasoft would be the best place to get advice, yet still no one here seems to have an answer either.
thanks again Mamajean for your reply and suggestion. I had thought of turning off all my protection in order to install the new AdAware (as i recall having to do that before w/ some new software i wanted), yet for now i was leary in doing that, so i like you will just keep my eyes and ears open for a tech support reply.

#8 Mamajean

Mamajean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:04 PM

Hi Caprig,
Did you ever get any help with your question?
Mamajean

Hi Caprig,
This is Mamajean. Thought that I would tell you that I went to the FAQs and did all of the proposed fixes for similar problems and nothing worked, but now I have squeakie clean software.
If no one is able to advise us in the next week or so, I am going to give up on AdAware. I got along without it before last July, so I guess that I can now. Fortunately my Spybot and Avast are working correctly.
Good luck.

#9 ques?

ques?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:30 PM

Well i am hoping soon AdAware will be 'aware' of the problems i, you, and i note others online (after i googled my question) are having. If it is WinXP, there are a lot of us XP users out there. I hope soon lavasoft will hear our pleas.

As to Defender, it is free from Windows and is anti-spy program. I dl and installed it from their website.
I used to have free Avast for my anti-virus program, yet i switched about a year ago to AVG and like it better.
They both beat having Norton which i had for many years before that.

Anyway as to AdAware, i will just wait as like i said i know i am protected by what i have. Like your friend said, i just found AdAware did find more cookie ads than others do.

Happy Trails, J

#10 ladythomp

ladythomp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

I have the same problem and have tried everything! Why won't they help us?? Is there another adware free program out there...maybe?
;)

#11 JohnDavidson

JohnDavidson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:39 PM

Give this a try:
Download Ad-Aware 2007 one more time and note the size of the file being downloaded, it should be a little over 20 meg.
When the DL has completed check the size of the file that was downloaded.
If they are not the same the installer won't run.

If this is the case, download AdAware again into the same folder but do not delete the original download.
When prompted, opt to replace the original.

John

#12 Mamajean

Mamajean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:45 AM

Hi Happy Trails.
This may be a repeat. After finishing my reply to you, it vanished. So here goes again.

What advantage is there in having 2 antivirus programs? I plan to go with AVG, but I'm not sure about loading a second program, Defender.

Recall the old saying about PC troubles? "If you have a software program, fiddle with it until it works. If a hardware problem, fiddle with it until it breaks." I did the former.

I decided to give up on the new Ad-Aware after failing to install the fix that John Davidson provided on this forum.

So, I reinstalled my old SE program and I was successful in updating the definitions (via zip file). (If you recall, the SE program previously wouldn't update after '5% - ERROR'.)

If you are interested, here is what I did:
Turn off the antivirus & firewall programs and turn off the Spybot immunization.
I downloaded (to My computer; program files) and installed the old SE program from a CD that I previously stored it on.
Go to Lavasoft Research Blog: www.lavasoft.com/support/securitycenter/blog/?cat=2
Scroll all the way to the right side of the screen ... keep scrolling until you see an option under DOWNLOAD DEFINITION FILE for Ad-Aware SE. It will list the current def file as SE1R221 18.02.2008. Click and go to the mirror site in a new window.
Check the 'active x' control bar and tell it to permit the download.
Save the zip file.
After it downloads, go offline.
Locate the def file. Unzip it.
If it is not in the same place as your downloaded old SE program (It probably reads Lavasoft), move it to the same location.
To move it, right click the def file. Go to 'move to' on the dropdown menu. Type in the place where the old SE program is located and move it.
Go to this location and you will see the def file and the old SE program (Lavasoft). Place your cursor on the def file and drag it to the SE file. Tell it to replace the old def file.
That's it, you should now have a working updated old SE program.

Yes, this is a pain in the neck, but I plan to use this method until I locate another adware program.

Good luck.
Mamajean
PS I too had Norton for many years and then McAfee, but didn't like either one.

#13 Mamajean

Mamajean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:56 AM

Hi John,
Thanks for the suggestion, which I unsuccessfully tried. Maybe my problem is that the download is just too big for a dial-up connection. High speed internet services are not available in my area, so it looks like I'm out of luck. Have loaded the old SE software and updated it via lavasoft's research blog site. So at least I have something now.
Mamajean

Give this a try:
Download Ad-Aware 2007 one more time and note the size of the file being downloaded, it should be a little over 20 meg.
When the DL has completed check the size of the file that was downloaded.
If they are not the same the installer won't run.

If this is the case, download AdAware again into the same folder but do not delete the original download.
When prompted, opt to replace the original.

John

#14 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:37 AM

Hello All,

With regards to the "aaw2007.exe is not a valid Win32 app" error message, please try the following:

Depending on your OS, please follow these steps:

For Windows 2000 or XP:

Go to "Start > Programs > Accessories" and click on Command Prompt
Type cd C:\Windows\System32 then hit Enter
Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll then hit Enter (please note the space in the middle) - You should get a "successful" message, as per these screenshots:

XP_Cmd_prompt_Regsvr_0.gif

XP_Cmd_prompt_Regsvr_1.gif

XP_Cmd_prompt_Regsvr_2.gif

At this time, AAW2007 is only compatible with Vista-32 (support for Vista-64 is due out shortly) - I have included instructions for Vista-64, even though this may not help at this time:

1. From the Windows Vista default Start menu, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click Advanced system settings.
3. In the User Account Control dialog box, click "Continue".
4. In the Advanced window, in the Performance section, click Settings.
5. In the Performance Options window, click the Data Execution Protection tab.
6. If DEP is turned on for all programs, add Ad-Aware 2007 to the exception list (and, if you are a paying customer Ad-Watch, Host File Editor and Process Watch).

For Vista 32:

Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right Click on Command Prompt -> Run As Administrator.
Type cd C:\Windows\System32 then Enter
Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll then hit "Enter"
If you don't do Run as Administrator, the regsvr32 will fail.

For Vista64 (if you can get it to run... not officially supported yet):

Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right Click on Command Prompt -> Run As Administrator.
Type cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64 then "Enter"
If you don't do Run as Administrator, the regsvr32 will fail. Also, be careful to run the command in SysWOW64, not System32! System32 on a 64-bit system actually contains the 64-bit system libraries. The 32-bit versions are in SysWOW64.

(NB: Please note the spaces in each of the above entries).

Then try installing AAW 2007 again.

A lot to take in ;)

Please post back with how you get on.

Regards,

Spike

#15 Imagining

Imagining

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:16 PM

I too am having this exact problem - but mine says "fatal error" can't wait to see if you've gotten any help because I haven't.

;)

#16 tesseract

tesseract

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:02 PM

I post this on February 7, but could not find it anyplace so I started searching and found this string:

I could no longer get updates to adaware, so I came to your website and found that there was a new version so adaware was apparently no longer supporting the Adaware SE. I did download the new version, but got an error code when I tried to install it, so I came back to your website and tried to run the install from your website. I got the same error message:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE54WNIFZV\aaw2007[1].exe is not a valid Win32 application when I did. I don't know what I am doing wrong, maybe I should delete the old version before I try to install the new version. But the Adaware SE is still finding spyware, and if I can't install the new version, I will be without any recourse.

It seems that this is a long-standing problem, and I can't find any suggestions as to how to correct it.

#17 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:05 AM

Hello Imagining & tesseract,

Before installing AAW 2007 Free, did you follow my instructions posted just above?

Please let me know.

Regards,

Spike

#18 Mamajean

Mamajean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:04 PM

Hi Spike,
Thanks for going to the trouble to provide easy-to-follow instructions. I have printed them to save for the future. Prior to your post I had spent about 20 hours trying to resolve this issue. When it seemed hopeless, I found a way to update SE. It will take a while for me to get back to downloading the 2007 version, and I will be grateful for your instructions when the time comes.

Hello All,

With regards to the "aaw2007.exe is not a valid Win32 app" error message, please try the following:

Depending on your OS, please follow these steps:

For Windows 2000 or XP:

Go to "Start > Programs > Accessories" and click on Command Prompt
Type cd C:\Windows\System32 then hit Enter
Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll then hit Enter (please note the space in the middle) - You should get a "successful" message, as per these screenshots:

XP_Cmd_prompt_Regsvr_0.gif

XP_Cmd_prompt_Regsvr_1.gif

XP_Cmd_prompt_Regsvr_2.gif

At this time, AAW2007 is only compatible with Vista-32 (support for Vista-64 is due out shortly) - I have included instructions for Vista-64, even though this may not help at this time:

1. From the Windows Vista default Start menu, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click Advanced system settings.
3. In the User Account Control dialog box, click "Continue".
4. In the Advanced window, in the Performance section, click Settings.
5. In the Performance Options window, click the Data Execution Protection tab.
6. If DEP is turned on for all programs, add Ad-Aware 2007 to the exception list (and, if you are a paying customer Ad-Watch, Host File Editor and Process Watch).

For Vista 32:

Type cd C:\Windows\System32 then Enter
If you don't do Run as Administrator, the regsvr32 will fail.

For Vista64 (if you can get it to run... not officially supported yet):

Type cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64 then "Enter"
If you don't do Run as Administrator, the regsvr32 will fail. Also, be careful to run the command in SysWOW64, not System32! System32 on a 64-bit system actually contains the 64-bit system libraries. The 32-bit versions are in SysWOW64.

(NB: Please note the spaces in each of the above entries).

Then try installing AAW 2007 again.

A lot to take in ;)

Please post back with how you get on.

Regards,

Spike

#19 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:42 AM

You're welcome Mamajean :)

Please post back if you encounter any other issues when you are ready for AAW 2007 again.

Regards,

Spike

#20 Mamajean

Mamajean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:10 AM

Hi Spike,
You suggested that I get back to you when I installed AdAware 2007. Yes, it installed using your instructions!!!!!!!!! Many thanks.
But now it won't update. There is an Error: a big red Circle with an X. Unable to connect to server. Do you have any ideas about what I can do to update 2007 other than going the manual route?
Thanks.
:unsure: Mamajean

Hi Spike,
Thanks for going to the trouble to provide easy-to-follow instructions. I have printed them to save for the future. Prior to your post I had spent about 20 hours trying to resolve this issue. When it seemed hopeless, I found a way to update SE. It will take a while for me to get back to downloading the 2007 version, and I will be grateful for your instructions when the time comes.
Mamajean :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users