• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LeahH

LeahH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:57 AM

I installed Adaware 2007 free after my SE started showing error messages on updates. The first time I downloaded it adaware 2007 seized for every option so I uninstalled & redownloaded it.
I can now run updates & run a smart scan but the smart scan takes about an hour to complete compared to the SEs 15 minute full scan. The 2007 full scan seizes halfway through every time I try to run it, when it seizes the timer keeps going but the scaner won't go past that point even if I leave it overnight and the only way to stop it is through program manager. Once adaware has seized in full scan mode & been closed the only way I can get it to do anything such as a smart scan or update is to completely restart my computer.

I ran SE for years & never had a problem. My system is XP Home 2002 and has 88% free space. I run spybot & AVG with no problems.

From reading other posts here this seems to be quite common with Ad-aware 2007, is there anything I can do to make this work? I don't like not running a full scan as there might be problems which are not being picked up in smart scan. Will this problem be fixed soon? Because SE was so good I had been considering buying the ad-aware 2007 pro version but am really glad I tried the 2007 free one first.

Edited by LeahH, 28 January 2008 - 11:15 AM.

#2 newport

newport

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:33 AM

I'm having the same experience, but with all scans.

#3 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:17 AM

Hi LeahH & newport,

Please see my response to a similarly frustrated user in this Topic: ad-aware 2007, just how long does a scan take?

Regards,

Spike

#4 LeahH

LeahH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:11 AM

Thanks Spike I will try that but I am still worried about what the scan might be missing by skipping these larger files. Do they not attach themselves to files over 30000kb?

#5 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:26 AM

That level is OK - for testing purposes (to see if that is what is causing the problem) you could go as low as 5000.

Regards,

Spike

#6 A.V.Maitreyan

A.V.Maitreyan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:35 PM

I installed Adaware 2007 free after my SE started showing error messages on updates. The first time I downloaded it adaware 2007 seized for every option so I uninstalled & redownloaded it.
I can now run updates & run a smart scan but the smart scan takes about an hour to complete compared to the SEs 15 minute full scan. The 2007 full scan seizes halfway through every time I try to run it, when it seizes the timer keeps going but the scaner won't go past that point even if I leave it overnight and the only way to stop it is through program manager. Once adaware has seized in full scan mode & been closed the only way I can get it to do anything such as a smart scan or update is to completely restart my computer.

I ran SE for years & never had a problem. My system is XP Home 2002 and has 88% free space. I run spybot & AVG with no problems.

From reading other posts here this seems to be quite common with Ad-aware 2007, is there anything I can do to make this work? I don't like not running a full scan as there might be problems which are not being picked up in smart scan. Will this problem be fixed soon? Because SE was so good I had been considering buying the ad-aware 2007 pro version but am really glad I tried the 2007 free one first.

I am having the same problem of Adaware 2007 Free seizing on full scans. It progresses all the way upto Scanning folders [Conditional scans] and then seems to seize. The only way I can get around this is to reboot and then restart Adaware. It then completes all the way through. Like LeahH I had been using Adaware SE until support for it expired. I think this "seizing" is a "bug" that needs to be fixed by the Adaware 2007 Free developers. Do they review our postings ?

#7 MrShush

MrShush

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:11 PM

I'm running XP Service Pack 2 and regardless of whether I run a Full scan or a Smart scan, the application gets to conditional file scanning and stays there. I just got back from a long weekend away and it was still running, some 48 hours later. I think there must be a bug. Any news?

#8 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:51 AM

Hello A.V.Maitreyan & MrShush,

The most common reasons for the "conditional Scan" hang-up is as posted above - AAW 2007 getting caught up by a large/compressed/corrupted file or folder. Have you tried scanning with the "Skip files larger..." selected and set as posted above?

...needs to be fixed by the Adaware 2007 Free developers. Do they review our postings?

Yes, the Devs check this part of the forum, although they usually don't have time to post individual responses.

We volunteers check as often as we can and post where we feel we can be of assistance.

Regards,

Spike

#9 ann0n

ann0n

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:57 PM

While the DEVs maybe looking into the problem, it doesn't appear that a resolution is quick at hand.
One of the things that I noticed from the scan process, is that there is absolutely no indication that
the program is hung. On smaller files or scans, you can observe the files or scan bar incrementing.
The program itself should have a feature where if it's not operating it should indicate it and log it.
I noticed today that there was an update to the log file format. I haven't reviewed the log
files, yet, but the old log files were poor at best. They did not indicate where they crashed
(or stopped).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users