Photo

ad-aware 2007, just how long does a scan take?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Allred

Michael Allred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

Well when I read today that ad-aware SE is no longer getting updated, I went to ad-aware 2007 (free.) Installing 2007 uninstalled SE but no prob. The new one is the better one right?

Ok so I started a full scan using the 2007 version and right now, it's STILL scanning after 3 HOURS!!!! SE *never* took anywhere near that long to complete a full scan. What's the deal folks? Why is it taking so long?

It says

Current section: Scanning folders (optional)
Current path:
Current object:

Note the last two are empty.

I'm using Windows XP.

I'm thinking I just need to get rid of ad-aware 2007 and re-install SE.

Lavasoft, this is certainly NOT what I was expecting from you.

#2 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:50 AM

Hi Michael,

Yes, that is far too long.

Sometimes a scan can get hung-up on large or compressed files - please open AAW 2007 and select "Settings > Scanning" and under the "Scanning Options" section, enable (green tick) the "Skip files larger..." option, changing the file size as per this screen shot:

AAW2007_Plus_settings_1a.gif

Then try both Smart and Full scans - they are more thorough than SE so will take a bit longer anyway.

Please post back with how you get on.

Regards,

Spike

#3 StropHDance06

StropHDance06

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:33 AM

Mine does the same and that did not work i let mine run for 23 hours and it never moved... i really need this to work my computer is slow and it found 280 bad things is it better to just redownload SE

Hi Michael,

Yes, that is far too long.

Sometimes a scan can get hung-up on large or compressed files - please open AAW 2007 and select "Settings > Scanning" and under the "Scanning Options" section, enable (green tick) the "Skip files larger..." option, changing the file size as per this screen shot:

AAW2007_Plus_settings_1a.gif

Then try both Smart and Full scans - they are more thorough than SE so will take a bit longer anyway.

Please post back with how you get on.

Regards,

Spike

#4 floplo

floplo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:52 AM

Hi
My smart scan takes less than 3 minutes, but it finds nothing, not even a tracking cookie when I know they are there.....

#5 StropHDance06

StropHDance06

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:55 PM

Mine does the same and that did not work i let mine run for 23 hours and it never moved... i really need this to work my computer is slow and it found 280 bad things is it better to just redownload SE

:D
I tried it again n i let it run for another 13 hours

#6 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:36 AM

Hi StropHDance06,

Try dropping the "skip file larger..." number to 10,000kb or even 5,000kb (which is where mine is set). Also, please remove MRUs (Most Recently Used apps) from detection (notice the red cross beside "Scan for MRUs" in the screen shot above - I don't scan for these, as I am the only user of this PC and know what apps I have used. Even with a shared PC, it would take a malware expert with unlimited access to your system (and access to individual user-log on passwords) to even begin to retrieve any sensitive info from your MRUs.

Please advise whether you are now able to get either/both Full or Smart Scans to complete.

We can work on the above "skip files" number once a scan is actually completed.

Also, please remember that in AAW 2007, only actual malware appears in the "Critical Objects" scan results - cookies and MRUs appear under the adjacent "Privacy Objects" tab.

Regards,

Spike

#7 W.Dave

W.Dave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:20 AM

Hi from Detroit,
I'm having the same problem. I've reduced the size of the skip file larger to 5000KB and removed the MRU from detection. I still get hung up on the Scanning Folders (Conditional) over 3 hours and running. I'm running an older computer with Windows 2000.

#8 lil chief

lil chief

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:30 AM

:unsure: I did a scan & it froze then I just reduced the size to 3000 it found the junk, it worked before it had a default of 10000 something which i assume was the default when i downloaded it, now i changed it to 5000, so i'll see next time, why does ad aware put the default in of the 10+ files? if its not gonna work, i have a paid version

Hi from Detroit,
I'm having the same problem. I've reduced the size of the skip file larger to 5000KB and removed the MRU from detection. I still get hung up on the Scanning Folders (Conditional) over 3 hours and running. I'm running an older computer with Windows 2000.

#9 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:53 AM

Hello again lil chief,

Its been a while since we last corresponded :wub:

why does ad aware put the default in of the 10+ files? if its not gonna work

It should, however this depends on your individual system's configuration. I recently did a re-format/complete re-install of XP and all programs for a friend - afterwards, it scanned with AAW 2007 Free at the original default setting (much higher), whereas before, we had to set it to 10,000.

Why? I don't know (not enough of a geek, I guess) - still, it worked.

In future, as you have a licensed version, I would suggest one-on-one paid assistance through the Support Center to help you through these problems.

All the best,

Spike

#10 StropHDance06

StropHDance06

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

Hi StropHDance06,

Try dropping the "skip file larger..." number to 10,000kb or even 5,000kb (which is where mine is set). Also, please remove MRUs (Most Recently Used apps) from detection (notice the red cross beside "Scan for MRUs" in the screen shot above - I don't scan for these, as I am the only user of this PC and know what apps I have used. Even with a shared PC, it would take a malware expert with unlimited access to your system (and access to individual user-log on passwords) to even begin to retrieve any sensitive info from your MRUs.

Please advise whether you are now able to get either/both Full or Smart Scans to complete.

We can work on the above "skip files" number once a scan is actually completed.

Also, please remember that in AAW 2007, only actual malware appears in the "Critical Objects" scan results - cookies and MRUs appear under the adjacent "Privacy Objects" tab.

Regards,

Spike

Hi i tried it again and it worked thank you for your help

#11 mayauntie

mayauntie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:47 PM

In future, as you have a licensed version, I would suggest one-on-one paid assistance through the Support Center to help you through these problems.

All the best,

Spike

The only way I can get help is through emails. :unsure:

#12 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

Hello again May,

Emailing Support is how all licensed users communicate their problems for one-on-one, paid assistance..

Please let me know if you are not receiving replies to your messages to Support.

Regards,

Spike

#13 W.Dave

W.Dave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:56 PM

Hello again May,

Emailing Support is how all licensed users communicate their problems for one-on-one, paid assistance..

Please let me know if you are not receiving replies to your messages to Support.

Regards,

Spike

Dave from Detroit here.

I've lowered the Skip Files to 1000 and disabled the MRU function, but I still get locked up on the Scanning Folders. Since Ad Aware Free is just that - free I'm going to give up and buy a subscription service. Just wanted to give you some feedback and thank you for your help.

#14 StropHDance06

StropHDance06

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:15 AM

Hi i tried it again and it worked thank you for your help

;) Ok it worked once now its freezing again... i have the free version what can i do to fix this!!!

#15 StropHDance06

StropHDance06

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:25 AM

I have tried everything suggested and it worked for 1 scan on each smart and full scan... now it is freezing again can someone please help!!!!!

EDIT: Merging this with the other thread that you have been posting in, where I just replied to you.

Please try and keep similar/identical requests in the one place - makes assistance much easier.

Edited by spike-nz, 22 March 2008 - 05:49 AM.

#16 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:45 AM

Hi Dave & StropHDance06,

You may do these on a regular basis but if not, first go to "Start > Run" and type in cleanmgr - select whichever item that you wish to remove and complete.

Then run a disk defrag and finally run a full Check Disk. These should be performed regularly, as part of your "house keeping".

Where these haven't been run for a while, I have found that it solved the "hanging" problem for quite a few users over the years(both AAW SE & 2007).

Regards,

Spike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users