• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Firefoxx

Firefoxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

I downloaded the Ad-Aware 2007 freeware. I think the major problems in my system occur using my external hard-disk.

Is it possible to scan the external USB connected disk with Ad-Aware? When using the Smart Scan option I think I didn't see objects on my external drive being scanned.

I tried to use the command line parameter /Path - the software started but no scan was initiated. Is it possible to search malicious objects on external drives?

Thanks for your help!

#2 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:04 PM

It should but only if you use the Full System Scan

Scan Definitions from the help manual (the question mark ? button)

Smart Scan

The Smart Scan is a fast system check that scans only the most critical sections of your system. The Smart Scan will scan your memory, registry, cookies, favorites, and Hosts file. The directories scanned are Windows, Temp and Program Files. The Smart Scan does not scan archived content.

This scan mode should only be used for daily system maintenance; use this scan if you are sure that your system is clean and you have performed a Full Scan or an in-depth Custom Scan on your main hard drive at least once during the past month. If this is your first scan, you suspect that your system has become infected with suspicious content, or you have used another anti-spyware product prior to installing and using Ad-Aware 2007, we recommend performing a Full Scan.

Full Scan

The Full Scan is an in-depth scan mode that thoroughly scans your entire system including all local drives. We recommend using the Full Scan when you use Ad-Aware 2007 for the first time, and at regular intervals to ensure that your system is clean.

The Full Scan takes longer to scan your system than the Smart Scan, but is more likely to find infections that have been installed on drives other than your main hard disk or in your archives. In addition to the areas scanned during a Smart System Scan, all fixed drives and archive files are also scanned.

The command line and custom scan features are only available in the Plus or Pro versions, but the full system scan in the free version should scan your external hard drive
Please do NOT send Private Messages to Staff or helpers to request assistance! We do not give a personal support via PM The way to request help is to post a NEW TOPIC in the appropriate forum.

Look for the *New Topic* Button near the top right when viewing the forums.

Here in the forums, replies are posted to topics only. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Plus and Pro Ad-Aware users (only) may use the Support Center for personal assistance:
Support Center

Microsoft MVP/Windows - Security 2003-2009

#3 Firefoxx

Firefoxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

The command line and custom scan features are only available in the Plus or Pro versions, but the full system scan in the free version should scan your external hard drive

Just to confirm that: It does!

Full Scan Method searches infections on local and on external drives!

Thanks a lot!

#4 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:20 PM

Ok good!

I tried it here with the free version on Vista and it did too, so thank for the confirm :unsure:
Please do NOT send Private Messages to Staff or helpers to request assistance! We do not give a personal support via PM The way to request help is to post a NEW TOPIC in the appropriate forum.

Look for the *New Topic* Button near the top right when viewing the forums.

Here in the forums, replies are posted to topics only. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Plus and Pro Ad-Aware users (only) may use the Support Center for personal assistance:
Support Center

Microsoft MVP/Windows - Security 2003-2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users