Photo

Ad-Aware vs. McAfee Internet Security Suite (for 2008)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Victor Schwartz

Victor Schwartz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

I just installed McAfee Internet Security Suite (for 2008) on my Windows XP PC, and was told that I had to uninstall Ad-Aware (and Spybot) first, because they are incompatible with the VirusScan part of McAfee Internet Security Suite.

Does anyone know if this is really true, or whether it's just a scare tactic?

(I expect the same issue to occur when I install McAfee Internet Security Suite on my other PC, which runs Windows Vista.)

Please include victor@whyaduck.org in your replies. Thanks.

Victor Schwartz
victor@whyaduck.org

#2 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:46 PM

Hi Victor,

Which version of Ad-Aware are you running - AAW SE1.06 or AAW 2007?

There is a list of products which are "incompatible" with McAfee in this Topic: Is Ad-Aware 2007 Free compatible with McAfee?

We are trying to determine whether McAfee is rejecting both Builds of AAW or just AAW SE.

Regards,

Spike

#3 KimmySue

KimmySue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:25 PM

Hello to all! (This is my first post and I am SO hoping some one can help me. McAfee told me to contact LAVASOFT and I can't find a phone number, etc.)
I'm so glad I found this post because I'm baffled at what to do. I'm switching from Norton to McAfee (cause its free with Comcast- but now with all the trouble, I should have just paid for the Norton download and I wouldn't be going through all of this!) Anyway, (yes I'm bitter) I unistalled Norton with only minor problems then I tried to install McAfee and of course it wouldn't install. Called them. They told me the same thing. . . Ad-aware SE Personal was uncompatible with McAfee so I would have to uninstall Ad-aware AND then I would have to use a clean-up tool after that because just a regular uninstall would not do the trick. They told me I would have to get a hold of LAVASOFT for the appropriate clean-up tool, run it, then call them back regarding my McAfee installation problems. I've been looking at the posts and I've been noticing the Microsoft Windows Install Clean Up and I downloaded it but I can't find anything left from Ad-Aware or LAVASOFT to clean. Can anyone help please??!! I'm real close to just forking out he $$$ for Norton and be done with it!! Also, I'm upset that I can't use my Ad-Aware with McAfee (they need to fix that incompatibility, big time!!) Thank you to anyone with suggestions. In short, I need a clean up tool to run after the Ad-Aware uninstall or is that even true? Thanks again!!! ~ Kimmy Sue :)

#4 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:04 AM

Hi KimmySue,

Sorry for the late reply.

As far as we are aware, McAfee only has a problem with AAW SE and not AAW 2007 Free. Therefore if McAfee is somehow still detecting AAW SE after running the Microsoft Windows Install Clean-up Utility, please download and run the (free) CCleaner and remove all traces (either program or registry) of AAW SE.

Then install your McAfee product, update and finally download and install AAW 2007 from here or here.

Please let us know if McAfee is still causing you grief...

Regards,

Spike

yes I'm bitter

Don't blame you at all :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users