Photo

Is Ad-Aware 2007 Free compatible with McAfee?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mattaperez

mattaperez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:14 PM

Can I download Ad-Aware 2007 Free while using Mcafee virus scan, firewall, and spyware?
Any none problems?

Sincerely,
Matt Perez

#2 mattaperez

mattaperez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:00 AM

Is there someone available to answer this question?

#3 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:33 AM

Hi mattaperez,

Sorry for the late reply.

There was a problem in mid-to-late last year, when McAfee released an update which forced users to uninstall Ad-Aware as well as some other programs (including ZoneAlarm).

A lot of McAfee users were understandably upset and forced McAfee into releasing a patch to resume peaceful co-existence.

As far as I am aware, there are not now any compatibility problems between the two products.

Regards,

Spike

#4 mattaperez

mattaperez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:34 PM

Thank you, Spike

#5 ojann

ojann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

I hope that this is the correct place to post this.

I was told by Mcafee as recently as last week, that there is a conflict with Ad-Aware and Mcafee. However, that person may have been referencing the "old" conflict. ???

Don't know who or what to believe right now.

If anyone knows the latest information, I would certainly appreciate it and am sure that others would as well.

Thanks.

Joanne

#6 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:17 PM

Hello Joanne,

It seems to be the problem has arisen again. It's a McAfee problem that was solved last year when they fixed it but it seems to be surfacing again. I can only tell you to look at my last post in this topic similar:
http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=14551

Edit to add Specifically it was post #7 in that topic I just made. Here is the link to it
http://www.lavasofts...s...ost&p=65039

Make sure you have followed all the instructions to uninstall Ad-Aware according to our FAQ here:
http://www.lavasoft....aq_aawse.php#11

If you have removed all you can find and used the uninstaller and McAfee is still refusing to install, I can't say what their problem is. The free version especially which doesn't even have the realtime protection of Ad-watch, shouldn't even conflict with Mcafee and doesn't with other products.
Please do NOT send Private Messages to Staff or helpers to request assistance! We do not give a personal support via PM The way to request help is to post a NEW TOPIC in the appropriate forum.

Look for the *New Topic* Button near the top right when viewing the forums.

Here in the forums, replies are posted to topics only. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Plus and Pro Ad-Aware users (only) may use the Support Center for personal assistance:
Support Center

Microsoft MVP/Windows - Security 2003-2009

#7 Rick R

Rick R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

Hello Joanne,

It seems to be the problem has arisen again. It's a McAfee problem that was solved last year when they fixed it but it seems to be surfacing again. I can only tell you to look at my last post in this topic similar:
http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=14551

Edit to add Specifically it was post #7 in that topic I just made. Here is the link to it
http://www.lavasofts...s...ost&p=65039

Make sure you have followed all the instructions to uninstall Ad-Aware according to our FAQ here:
http://www.lavasoft....aq_aawse.php#11

If you have removed all you can find and used the uninstaller and McAfee is still refusing to install, I can't say what their problem is. The free version especially which doesn't even have the realtime protection of Ad-watch, shouldn't even conflict with Mcafee and doesn't with other products.

#8 Rick R

Rick R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:35 PM

I was just told by McAfee that I had to uninstall Ad-Aware and Spybot and McAfee then reinstall McAfee. They didn't say if I could then reinstall Ad-Aware or not. This was on 12-29-07.
How protected would I be if I uninstalled McAfee, (which is really annoying me)? I mean could I rely on Ad-Aware & Verizon for adequate protection?

Edited by Rick R, 29 December 2007 - 10:02 PM.

#9 ojann

ojann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the info. I want my Ad-Aware back too! Happy New Year. Joanne

#10 Rick R

Rick R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:23 AM

Joanne,
You're welcome & HNY to you too.
Is their a way to get questions answered by Lavasoft if I'm using the free version?
Thanks -Rick

#11 MarkUK

MarkUK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:11 PM

I've just had a problem with McAfee and AD-AWARE, after using both together for several months I hit a barrarge of registry key changing requests, which I blocked, only to find that now I cannot use anything on my PC and there are LNK errors to every application - even the Microsoft system restore. I have found one other old entry saying that this is a problem between McAfee and Ad-AWARE. Does anyone know what the work around or fix for this is ? I can't even get the System Restore to work from the Run command line ! I am finding it difficult to see the funny side of the fact that the two tools to help me prevent this (potentially ?) catastrophic event happening to my PC have caused the problem between them.

#12 bdemuth

bdemuth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:43 AM

Is there someone available to answer this question?

Hi,

I'm using McAfee and Ad-Aware (SE at the beginning and now Pro) without problems for about 2 Year now. I was using only the McAfee Virus Scan during the last years. I Upgraded McAfee to VirusScan, Spy and firewall about 1 week ago witj out any problems. The future will tell if there are problems but up to now all is fine.

Regards

Bernd

#13 MarkUK

MarkUK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:42 AM

I've just had a problem with McAfee and AD-AWARE, after using both together for several months I hit a barrarge of registry key changing requests, which I blocked, only to find that now I cannot use anything on my PC and there are LNK errors to every application - even the Microsoft system restore. I have found one other old entry saying that this is a problem between McAfee and Ad-AWARE. Does anyone know what the work around or fix for this is ? I can't even get the System Restore to work from the Run command line ! I am finding it difficult to see the funny side of the fact that the two tools to help me prevent this (potentially ?) catastrophic event happening to my PC have caused the problem between them.

#14 MarkUK

MarkUK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:48 AM

Update on this - after a few hours of "messing around" I managed to fool my PC in to letting me run the System Restore exe, and went back to pre-blizzard of messages. The first message that came up was the start of the original problems - it was to change the registry keys for some non reason as far as I can tell. This time I uninstalled ADAWARE, and rebooted, after a couple of re-boots my machine is back minus AD-aware. Can't say I'll be putting it back on as this was very scary. Shame really I've liked your product alot until now.

#15 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:38 AM

Hi Rick R,

Not sure whether you mean that without McAfee, you would no longer have AV (anti-vitus) protection - this is something that you will always need. AAW is an anti-malware product and will not stop viruses getting into your system.

NOTE: "I was just told by McAfee that I had to uninstall Ad-Aware and Spybot " - don't you just love McAfee's tactics?

Last time it was AAW and ZoneAlarm - this time they have added Spybot into the mix... just one example of why I would never use McAfee - they will keep trying and muscle out all the competitors with their "all-in-one" suite...

Once you have Mcafee installed, you should be able to reinstall AAW - if not, contact the McAfee Helpdesk and demand to know why they won't work together - that is how their last attempt was foiled and they were forced into releasing a "compatability patch". Customer feedback (lots of it and all hostile).

Regards,

Spike

#16 B.Williams

B.Williams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:31 PM

McAfee told me that they will not provide support for any problem with McAfee if I have Ad-Aware or other 'incompatible programs' installed in any form.

They refered me to the list of 'incompatible programs':
http://service.mcafe...x...005&type=TS
and told me to remove Ad-Aware and then call back for support.

I resent that Mcafee makes no effort to get along with other commonly used programs that do not perform virus protection. I want BOTH virus protection and ad protection, with the tools of my choice.

Does anyone have experience with Norton or other virus software that works fine with Ad-Aware?

#17 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:56 AM

From B.Williams post above, this is the full list of McAfee's so-called "Incompatible Applications":

Company Name / Product

Acronis Inc Acronis True Image
Acubix Pico Backup
AdwareFilter PCSafe
AhnLabs Anti-Virus
Alwil Avast! 4
AOL AOL Security 9.0 Parental Controls
Authentium Command Antivirus
BitDefender All Products
BitDefender Antispyware
Bullguard Internet Security
CA CA Anti-Virus
CA eTrust EZArmor
CA PestPatrol
CA AntiSpam
Cloudmark SpamNet
Cyberlink Power Backup
Editions Profile Parental Filter
Esat NOD32
Ewido Ewido Anti-Spyware 4
Frisk F-Prot AV
F-Secure Anti-Virus
F-Secure F-Secure Anti-Spyware l
G-Data AntiVirenKit
Genie-Soft Corporation Genie backup Manager
Grisoft AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5
Grisoft AVG Antivirus
Hauri ViRobot Desktop
Inca Internet nProtect Personal
ISS BlackIce Defender (Protection)
Javacool Spyware Blaster
Jiangmin Antivirus
Kaspersky Antivirus Personal
Kaspersky AntiHackers
KimLab HV-Scan
Kingsoft Antivirus
Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal/Professional
LookSmart NetNanny
MailFrontier (Now SonicWall) MailFrontier
Maximum Output Software FileBack PC
McAfee VirusScan 8.0i
McAfee TOPS
Microsoft Windows Live OneCare
Microsoft Windows Defender (Beta 2)
Microsoft One Care
New Technology Wave VirusChaser
Norman Virus Control
Norman Norman Personal Firewall
Norman Norman Internet Control
Panda Titanium Antivirus+Antispyware
Panda Platinum Internet Security Suite
Panda Titanium Antivirus+Antispyware
PC Tools Spyware Doctor
Rising Antivirus
Secure Computing SmartFilter V 4.1
Solid Oak CYBERSitter
Sophos All Products
Spybot Seach & Destroy
Steganos Antispyware
Sunbelt iHateSpam
Sunbelt \ Kerio Sunbelt Personal Firewall
SurfControl SurfControl Web Filter
Symantec Norton AntiVirus
Symantec Personal Firewall
Symantec Norton Internet Security
Symantec Norton 360 - Backup and Restore
Symantec Norton Save and Restore
Symantec Norton 360 - Optimizer
Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security
Vpower PCZiggy
Webroot Spysweeper 4.5
Webroot Windows Washer
Zone Labs ZoneAlarm Firewall
ZoneAlarm Anti-virus 5.5
ZoneAlarm Zonealarm Anti-Spyware

Oh Boy!! This is getting really out of hand... it even includes 2 of their own products.

Spike

NB: For those who weren't around the last time McAfee tried pulling a stunt like this, please see my post in this Topic: Unable To Uninstall Adaware Se Plus which includes a number of links.

#18 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:59 AM

Hi B.Williams,

I note from another post that you are still using a licensed version of AAW SE - there are no known conflicts between AAW SE and other security products that I am aware of (apart from last year's McAfee fiasco)...

As for AAW 2007, may I suggest that you take your pick from this list compiled from one of our malware experts: http://users.telenet...moes/Links.html

It includes Freeware and Shareware (ie: paid-for) products, all reputable (and most of them listed above :wub: ).

I personally use a number of these products (both with my old AAW SE and my new AAW 2007) without any problems.

One point to remember - if you have multiple programs with realtime protection enabled (ie: AAW's Ad-Watch together with, say, Spybot's Immunise feature), they may cause false-detections as they scan and trigger a response from the other(s).

Just as one should never have 2 firewalls or 2 AVs, always turn off other products' realtime modules when scanning with another, such as Ad-Watch.

Regards,

Spike

#19 LS Digger Barnes

LS Digger Barnes

Forum demigod

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:09 PM

Hi

We (Lavasoft) have tried to reproduce this problem for the Ad-Aware 2007 version.

Wehave tested different McAfee products and have not been required to uninstall Ad-Aware 2007.

This gives me the impression that the McAfee problem only relates to the old version: Ad-Aware SE.

QUESTION:
Can anyone report a case where you have been forced to uninstall the Ad-Aware 2007 version?
Kind regards,

Lavasoft Support Team

#20 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:27 AM

Hi LS Digger Barnes,

Thanks for the info regarding SE - that should reduce conflict reporting. Have we had any direct contact with McAfee confirming that they won't add AAW 2007 to their list?

This post from 6th Jan refers only to AAW/McAfee - have asked which version he is using: Ad-Aware vs. McAfee Internet Security Suite (for 2008)

This thread (started 9th Dec) has a number of posters, which is mainly about SE, though one user installed 2007 - Janie has been responding there: Uninstall Ad-Aware SE Personal - Free Version

This one (from 5th Oct) is about AAW 2007, but poster abandoned the thread: Problem uninstalling Ad-Aware 2007 for McAfee

Then there are various threads in the McAfee forum - these are the more recent ones that I could find (they have changed their forum/search setup):
Basically, it would appear that a complete AAW 2007 uninstall, followed by McAfee installation, then finally re-installing AAW 2007 Free should be fine.

No explicit recent indications that the AAW SE/McAfee conflict is unsolvable.

Ex_Brit
McAfee Maniac - 08-13-2007, 06:38 PM

I finally got what seems a good explanation for AAW Plus problems with VirusScan.
Quote:
The only problem with the paid versions of Ad-Aware is a feature called Ad-Watch (at least that is what it was called in the 2006 version). This provides realtime scanning and it will conflict with VirusScan when both programs attempt to scan the same file at the same time. This is why the free version (which does not have this feature) works find with VirusScan. Tell the user to turn the realtime scanning off and see if this works.

I'll keep an eye out for any others.

Regards,

Spike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users