• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HTj

HTj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:03 PM

Please tell be how to Manually Remove Adaware 2007 Free. The first few files I tried to delete, through the Lavasoft program files, told me I couldn't delete them.

I have windows XP SP2. Ad-aware 2007 (free) stopped working. I receive a 1720 and cannot uninstall it through the windows add/remove program.

I will have to get rid of Two Ad-aware 2007 entries in the add/remove program one at 19.44 mb and the other at 17.31 mb. How did I get two entries? Is this typical for an adaware installation?

REASON: I have not seen a response to my request for help to uninstall adaware 2007. I have tried, unsucessfully, the uninstall helps that I have found on this forum. Which were basically:

<Quote>
Please try the following:
1. go to the start menu, click 'Run...' and type 'services.msc'
2. in the services window, locate 'Ad-Aware 2007 Service', select it and click 'Stop'
3. when the service is stopped, try to uninstall again
If you still receive the 1720 error, and are running Windows 2000 or XP, please go to the Windows Script page, download and (re)install the Windows Script. Then try uninstalling again.
If it still won't uninstall try downloading the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from here and run that. <end Quote>

#2 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:55 PM

Hello HTj,

The "1720 error" is covered by this AAW 2007 FAQ: How do I resolve the "Error 1722" problem?

This problem relates to the MSI installer from Microsoft; it is associated with either an outdated or corrupt Windows Installer or with permission for Windows Script Hosting

Please download the two MS updates referenced in the FAQ and try uninstalling again.

If you still encounter problems, please download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from here. In the list of programs detected by the WICU, locate any reference to Ad-Aware and select it, then click on "Remove".

Then navigate to the following folders and delete anything left behind (these are the default paths - if you changed the installation path, then use that path):

C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft

Please post back if you have any further problems.

Regards,

Spike

#3 HTj

HTj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:49 AM

Thanks Spike
With my limited computer abilities I needed your push, because I had done everything else at least 3 times, to take another look at the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. I finally understood that it doesn't run automatically through add/ remove but that it has to be run manually. It goes to show that one should read and re-read instructions till they understand them.
HTj

PS: Removed the Old and have installed the Newand it's working great. Thanks Again. HTj

Edited by HTj, 06 November 2007 - 08:52 AM.

#4 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:06 AM

Hi HTj,

It goes to show that one should read and re-read instructions till they understand them

I think that is how we all learn :)

PS: Removed the Old and have installed the Newand it's working great. Thanks Again. HTj

Happy to have been of help - and good to know that all is now going smoothly.

Regards,

Spike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users