4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Smith

Dave Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:34 PM

To anyone who can help,
I have tried numerous times to download AdAware 2007 Free Version, but I keep getting "Error 1920. Application failed to start" error messages. Can someone PLEASE HELP? Thanks so much in advance.

#2 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:31 PM

Hi Dave,

Ad-Aware 2007 is a "service-based" program - that error tells us that for some reason the service hasn't/can't start, therefore the AAW 2007 program itself (which depends on the service to run) can't load.

A few questions to point us in the right direction for your particular system:

1) What is your OS (ie: Win XP, Vista32)?
2) What other security software is running at the same time (ie: anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall, etc)?
3) Which version (Free, Plus or Pro) of AAW 2007 are you using ?

Regards,

Spike

#3 John E.

John E.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:38 PM

Hi, Dave,
I just had the same problem this morning. It now works, after shutting machine down, starting back up, and and running the install a second time.
For comparison, here are my answers to Spike's questions:
1) Windows XP, Home Edition, SP2, freshly checked for updates this morning
2) Running full time AVG Anti-Virus, Zone-Alarm Firewall, and also installed but not running in background, only when opened, is SpyBot Search and Destroy.
3) Running Ad-Aware 2007 - Free version.

What happened:
Tried to do an update, wouldn't update, it recommended doing a web update, tried that, it wouldn't update either, gave the same recommendation. Knew I was online because I had just updated some other software, including checking for windows updates, so decided to reinstall (stupid, right ?). Downloaded the latest from LavaSoft USA's download page, started install, got the 1920 service unable to start error, clicked "retry" twice to start the service, then clicked "cancel" and the install canceled and it uninstalled itself. Shut machine down, let it rest a while (it works hard), started back up and it installed fine. Just finished updating it, running a scan now.

The one difference was I tried to do a custom (advanced? whatever) install earlier, this time I just did the basic (here, computer, you make all the decisions) type update.

Hope this helps,
John

Hi Dave,

Ad-Aware 2007 is a "service-based" program - that error tells us that for some reason the service hasn't/can't start, therefore the AAW 2007 program itself (which depends on the service to run) can't load.

A few questions to point us in the right direction for your particular system:

1) What is your OS (ie: Win XP, Vista32)?
2) What other security software is running at the same time (ie: anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall, etc)?
3) Which version (Free, Plus or Pro) of AAW 2007 are you using ?

Regards,

Spike

#4 Janzeta

Janzeta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:37 PM

Hi, Dave,
I just had the same problem this morning. It now works, after shutting machine down, starting back up, and and running the install a second time.
For comparison, here are my answers to Spike's questions:
1) Windows XP, Home Edition, SP2, freshly checked for updates this morning
2) Running full time AVG Anti-Virus, Zone-Alarm Firewall, and also installed but not running in background, only when opened, is SpyBot Search and Destroy.
3) Running Ad-Aware 2007 - Free version.

What happened:
Tried to do an update, wouldn't update, it recommended doing a web update, tried that, it wouldn't update either, gave the same recommendation. Knew I was online because I had just updated some other software, including checking for windows updates, so decided to reinstall (stupid, right ?). Downloaded the latest from LavaSoft USA's download page, started install, got the 1920 service unable to start error, clicked "retry" twice to start the service, then clicked "cancel" and the install canceled and it uninstalled itself. Shut machine down, let it rest a while (it works hard), started back up and it installed fine. Just finished updating it, running a scan now.

The one difference was I tried to do a custom (advanced? whatever) install earlier, this time I just did the basic (here, computer, you make all the decisions) type update.

Hope this helps,
John

#5 Janzeta

Janzeta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:39 PM

I have the same problem when trying to install AAW2007. Error 1920. aawservice failed to start
I have vista 32, Norman antivirus and windows firewall. I have tried to shut down the antivirus program and the firewall, but it does not help.
Janzeta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users