9 replies to this topic

#1 TWEAKS

TWEAKS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:19 PM

:)

Please! Could you give me some advice!! Having fairly recently bought my new pc and still finding my feet it has come to my attention that on my pc manufacturers manual it strongly recommends that i would be advisable to make a Master Copy of the recovery data stored on my hard disk to a (Master cd or dvd), my computer is a PC world , Packard Bell Imedia home pc. having put this off Iv,e now decided to go ahead with this process. Would it be possible for some kindred soul to forward me the newbee! version of how i can temporary disable my adaware SE to carry out this task .I believe it may take a few hours for completion(My Master CD) and will the re-enablement be straightforward also? All my scans have been clear on all my security protection and i would be sad if this would be compromised. What would you advise? I would be very gratefull for your help in my request. :D

Yours in appreciation
Tweaks

#2 GRAFX

GRAFX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:01 AM

TWEAKS,

temporary disable my adaware SE to carry out this task

If you are using the Personal(Free) version of Ad-aware then you do not need to do any thing as it does not run in the background.
But if you have a paid for version ie Plus/Pro thenif you have Ad-watch open then all you need do is close Ad-awatch.
to stop Ad-watch loading on start-up open it and click on tools>Options then Un-Tick (Un-Check) the "Load Ad-awatch on Windows start-up"

---

my pc manufacturers manual it strongly recommends that i would be advisable to make a Master Copy of the recovery data stored on my hard disk to a (Master cd or dvd),

i would advise that after you have made your Master Copy of the recovery software that you do NOT delete the Data that is stored on that drive.
some manuals say to delete to get your Hard Drive space back but unless you fill your drive then i not see the point in deleting that data.

GRAFX Posted Image
press Enter then have a Brandy then if the problem is still there have another Brandy
Q: does it work
A: It does seem to for a few hours at least
LandzDown

#3 TWEAKS

TWEAKS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:16 AM

:) :D

Wow that,s what i call a speedy reply, please to thank you for your advice, accepted with much appreciation
I have the free version so things could,nt be any simpler it seems :) so if i don,t wipe out all my pc data and files :lol: etc i,m sure to be back sometime in the future for more sound advice. Keep up the good work guys!! all good stuff!!!!!

Your Tweaks

#4 GRAFX

GRAFX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:45 PM

TWEAKS,
After you have done your and have a Master Copy of the recovery software.
Then I recommend that you do a "Smart Scan" Daily and a "Full Scan" Weekly unless your Smart Scan finds items then I recommend you do a full Scan.
then if need be post a full logfile.
and remember to use the WebUpdate just before you scan.
(there is not always one to download but at least you will always be up to date )

GRAFX Posted Image
press Enter then have a Brandy then if the problem is still there have another Brandy
LandzDown

#5 TWEAKS

TWEAKS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:03 PM

Tweaks here

Made a little discovery today after bragging that my scans were clear :lol:I have realplayer and i decided to use it (i tend to only use RP) on occasion, however have found a pattern, each time i use RP and do my ad,scan it has discovered a tracking cookie from real.com. i know it,s only one cookie but am very territorial :P and don,t like to have my space invaded :rolleyes: I assume that i would need to allow a cookie to enable realplayer to function ;) and if i put it in my restricted sites zone on IE6 will realplayer stop functioning? it.s all very confusing being a newbee. Will she ever get there she says!! I have my IE6 set to accept first party cookies and to block third party cookies. If it helps i will go through the same procedure and post a logfile to you tomorrow . i have Norton, adaware, spybot, spywareblaster, and windows firewall and also use the microsoft malicious software removal tool(on occasion)!! Phew all this pc protection does have a tendency to make us newbees very paranoid if we,re not sure what we,re doing however i do know that it is vital for happy pc-ing :

Your help as ever appreciated with much gratitude

Tweaks

#6 GRAFX

GRAFX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:14 PM

TWEAKS,
you may wish to download a Free Cookie manager called CookieWall to take care of all your Cookie’s for you.
(Tracking Cookie’s are always safe to delete)
But see QuickTime Alternative 1.67 Although it says QuickTime it will play RealMedia content
GRAFX Posted Image
LandzDown

#7 TWEAKS

TWEAKS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:20 AM

;) hi Grafx
Tweaks says a heartfelt thanks! for your much appreciated help have downloaded cookie wall NO PROBS.yippee!! will have a look at Quicktime Alternative1.67 at the end of this post. Am learning day by day and hope to be up to speed shortly and with help but a click away i,m sure to learn lots more off now to take in some rays, sun is shining here in Scotland enjoy while it lasts

:rolleyes: Have a nice one Tweaks :P

#8 GRAFX

GRAFX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:15 PM

TWEAKS,
You will soon mater it that i am sure. :)

And it is very hot in the mid-lands (UK) today as well :)

GR@PH;<'S Posted Image
LandzDown

#9 TWEAKS

TWEAKS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:17 PM

Hi Grafx,

Glad to know i,ve had contact with somebody doon the road!!! :lol: All my contacts have been from oe.r the watter!! but lots of fun chatting to everyone. Have sorted cookie wall, might leave Quicktime for the time being, wait until done my backups, some thing less to fret over am doing quite well at this pc lark though picking up things day by day. Am away to study about host files now jumpin ahead of myself me thinks :) .to be commended for your help your experience has helped a poor wee not so newbee!! What do you think about sites that download with your permission of course, to test your security settings(downloading a pretend virus)? :) I had a link to one and was just curious!!!!

Well have a nice one and have a good day also
:D

#10 GRAFX

GRAFX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:26 PM

TWEAKS,
Depending on the site they can be good one to try is "grc.com"
As you can test a veriaty of things there :)

GRAFX Posted Image
LandzDown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users