Photo

So How Do We Remove Tray Icon, Lavasoft? We Don't Want It There!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lee88

lee88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:05 PM

FOR MORE DETAILS, SEE ALL THE OTHER POSTS ON THIS THAT HAVE GONE UNANSWERED!

#2 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:18 AM

Hello lee88,

Whilst I have only my own impressions as to the purpose of the aawservice icon -to enable licensed users to abort scheduled scans which from the greyed-out right-click context menu is obvious (though only in the future - not working for AAW 2007 Pro at this time) being one, to remind users that the service is running being another - I am mystified as to all the fuss over a sys-tray icon.

It is currently taking only 248k of memory on my system - an absolutely tiny amount and certainly not enough to affect any conceivable combination of other programs.

I do not wish to trivialise your concerns - I simply fail to see what the fuss is about. LS will no doubt shortly advise why it is there. Given the other posts that you mention, LS can hardly fail to be aware of current emotions on the subject.

Regards,

Spike

#3 qwerty3

qwerty3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:25 AM

well my one is running at 27320k which is a hefty chunk and want it removed!

#4 lee88

lee88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:17 PM

Hello lee88,

Whilst I have only my own impressions as to the purpose of the aawservice icon -to enable licensed users to abort scheduled scans which from the greyed-out right-click context menu is obvious (though only in the future - not working for AAW 2007 Pro at this time) being one, to remind users that the service is running being another - I am mystified as to all the fuss over a sys-tray icon.

It is currently taking only 248k of memory on my system - an absolutely tiny amount and certainly not enough to affect any conceivable combination of other programs.

I do not wish to trivialise your concerns - I simply fail to see what the fuss is about. LS will no doubt shortly advise why it is there. Given the other posts that you mention, LS can hardly fail to be aware of current emotions on the subject.

Regards,

Spike

Mine and others takes up more memory than your 248k, mine is 2060 and the person below says a lot more. The point being, aaw 2007 is so over bloated the way it is, we don't want any more crap added on that we don't need, esp. those who have the free version! Hope that de-mystifies things.

#5 Descentman

Descentman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

Hello lee88,

Regards,

Spike

I know, (for me) the fuss is about (and is one of my pet peeves) the software just doing whatever the heck it wants to on MY COMPUTER, and it irritates me. If I'm running an installation, and I am ASKED if I want a tray icon, desktop icon, start menu shortcut, fine. I can select what I want. But when the software doesn't ask and just modifies my computer and/or settings without my permission, it's irritating to me to say the least. I equate it to someone whom you invited into your house taking it upon themselves to paint one of your rooms a different color without asking. Plus the fact that this was NOT a new software installation, IT WAS A FRIGGEN UPDATE for crying out loud !!!!!
Far too many people just sit back and say "Oh well that's the way the software works, so I'll just let it go......" BS! This is MY MACHINE, not some piece of software's to do with as it pleases. ASK!!!! if I want a feature. Don't just do what you want to.
If this is so important, why did the software run PERFECTLY before this so called "required feature" was added to the update???
If this problem isn't soon resolved, I'll be hacking my registry and removing it and Lavasoft's Adaware 2007 from my machine.
I had considered paying for the pro version, but if LS's software is going to periodically modify my system without permission.... NoThanks!
Sorry if I seem to be coming on strong here, I most certainly DO NOT want to percieved as flaming anyone, I just wanted to give my opinion on what all the fuss is about.

D-man

PS - If this little modification was NOT in the tray and just ran quietly in the background, there probably wouldn't be ANY fuss about it anywhere. LOLOL

#6 Lennart LS

Lennart LS

Former Lavasoft employee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

To please you all, we have removed the icon from the icon tray. It will only show during a scheduled activity. That means, Free version users will not see this icon.

Please download the latest update using our update manager.

/The Good One

#7 cootmaster

cootmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:08 AM

i have 7 0 22 its still here i got free version its not gone
hmmm WAIT this weird i upgraded this morning 10 am fri
now its 12a sat and its gone that was strange

Edited by cootmaster, 01 September 2007 - 05:21 AM.

**SWEET MELODY**

#8 TheDean

TheDean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:37 PM

To please you all, we have removed the icon from the icon tray. It will only show during a scheduled activity. That means, Free version users will not see this icon.

Please download the latest update using our update manager.

/The Good One

Thank you for knowing about what's going on, and posting it here.

I actually hope you can answer another question, or two, on this topic. (BTW, this is my first post here, but I've done a lot of lurking and reading on this issue).

OK, I had already killed the startup entry and changed the service to manual, so the icon in the tray was never my concern (although if the service is running, I have no problem with it being there). Like many, here, what I really would like to know is:

What does the service do (a Free version user) once the scanning and cleaning is finished? Does it serve ANY purpose, if I am not actively using Ad Aware?

If the answer to the above is "it does nothing useful, and does not need to continue to run", why can't it simply be turned off by the software on closing? Is it just a remnant of the Pro version that we Free users have to live with? If so, that's an acceptable answer...(well, at least it's an answer.)

Currently, I go back to services and stop the service from running. I wouldn't bother, except I noticed a lag hours after running the program, and didn't know the service was still running, because the icon was gone.

I think (my opinion) many people aren't concerned about the icon in the tray. The icon in the tray alerted us to the fact that the program was:

1. running on startup
2. running when we were not using the program

As this happened as a result of an update, and not an install, it was pretty confusing. The icon was the obvious thing to point to, for many.

i hope this was clear.

Thanks in advance for any help/info you can give us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users