• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JohnLTR19

JohnLTR19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:39 AM

I am using the free version of Ad-Aware 2007. Starting only yesterday, an Ad-Aware icon appears in my bottom right taskbar despite not having changed any of my Ad-Aware settings. When I click on it, nothing is activated. I tried removing it from start up using third party software, but the icon reappears every time at start up. The name of the file showing in my third party Start Up Removal software is:

Key:HKLM:Run
Program: AAWTray
File: C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\AAWTray.exe.

I am a newbie to this forum & would appreciate the help. :)

#2 mikefahy

mikefahy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:00 PM

I am using the free version of Ad-Aware 2007. Starting only yesterday, an Ad-Aware icon appears in my bottom right taskbar despite not having changed any of my Ad-Aware settings. When I click on it, nothing is activated. I tried removing it from start up using third party software, but the icon reappears every time at start up. The name of the file showing in my third party Start Up Removal software is:

Key:HKLM:Run
Program: AAWTray
File: C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\AAWTray.exe.

You're not the only one, John, and it's annoying as hell. Ad Aware Free is becoming an in-your-face annoying product with these kinds of things and, with the abundance of Spyware stoppers now available, you can do what I will do, and that is to uninstall this thing and find an alternative.

For now, I just used the task manager to kill AAWTray.exe and have deleted it fron the Lavasoft directory. It tries to download again it every time I run the program and I've had about all the Lavasoft intrusions I need.

Edited by mikefahy, 29 August 2007 - 01:07 PM.

#3 gpzbc

gpzbc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:27 AM

Arrgghh!!!!!

I agree. I hate these tray icons. Especially when it does nothing that I can tell. How do I get rid of it? I turned it off in msconfig and deleted the AAWTRay.exe file And it still pops up when restarting.

I am about ready to uninstall Ad-Aware because of this.

#4 Gusten Svensson

Gusten Svensson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:02 AM

If you go to the installation folder of Ad-Aware 2007 then rename the file "AAWTray.exe" to something else and kill it from the
task manager. Then it will disapear until you download an update with the update manager. What I have found out you will
only need it if you have the PLUS o PRO version of Ad-Aware, so the Free users don't have any use for it and as long as it can
not kill the service the free users don't need it at all!

#5 moreorless

moreorless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:50 PM

I also found the appearance of this icon a little annoying. In fact it was the last straw. I uninstalled Ad-Aware 2007 and went back to SE.

To my mind SE is a far better product anyway. Better interface, more options, faster and less buggy. It takes a bit of talent to release an upgrade that is inferior to its predecessor. In respect to Ad-Aware 2007, Lavasoft has what it takes. :)

#6 cootmaster

cootmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:43 AM

To please you all, we have removed the icon from the icon tray. It will only show during a scheduled activity. That means, Free version users will not see this icon.

Please download the latest update using our update manager.

/The Good One

update to 7 0 22

**SWEET MELODY**

#7 Smirnoff

Smirnoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:09 AM

update to 7 0 22

Prior to downloading 7.0.2.2, I had the AAW icon in the system tray set to "always hide". After downloading 7.0.2.2, the icon is still in the system tray (although hidden). I changed it to "hide when inactive" but it still shows when viewing hidden icons. I do not have Ad-Aware running at the moment, so I fail to see why the icon is there at all. There is NO Ad-Aware activity.

We wanted it removed completely, not just hidden when there is no activity.

#8 Smirnoff

Smirnoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:26 AM

Prior to downloading 7.0.2.2, I had the AAW icon in the system tray set to "always hide". After downloading 7.0.2.2, the icon is still in the system tray (although hidden). I changed it to "hide when inactive" but it still shows when viewing hidden icons. I do not have Ad-Aware running at the moment, so I fail to see why the icon is there at all. There is NO Ad-Aware activity.

We wanted it removed completely, not just hidden when there is no activity.

This gets better. Decided to do an uninstall/reinstall. After uninstall via Add/Remove Programs I still had the Ad-Aware icon showing in Quick Launch AND the AAW Tray icon in system tray. Re-booted, the AAW tray icon has disappeared but Ad-Aware icon was still in Quick Launch. Have dragged it out and deleted it. Will now attempt fresh install of 7.0.2.2. Will keep you posted.

#9 Smirnoff

Smirnoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:30 AM

This gets better. Decided to do an uninstall/reinstall. After uninstall via Add/Remove Programs I still had the Ad-Aware icon showing in Quick Launch AND the AAW Tray icon in system tray. Re-booted, the AAW tray icon has disappeared but Ad-Aware icon was still in Quick Launch. Have dragged it out and deleted it. Will now attempt fresh install of 7.0.2.2. Will keep you posted.

Went to http://www.lavasoft.com/ and the free version available is 7.0.2.1. I give up.

#10 Valcan

Valcan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:40 AM

After updating to version 7.0.2.2 Ad-Aware icon on task bar is now disappired even if AAWTry.exe is already present into Ad-Aware installing directory.
My OP is Windows 2000 Professional SP 4.
Bug seems now fixed for free users version.

Regards to all

Mario Rome/Italy

#11 Smirnoff

Smirnoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:14 AM

Went to http://www.lavasoft.com/ and the free version available is 7.0.2.1. I give up.

OK, I didn't give up. Thought I'd give it one more go.
Downloaded 7.0.2.1, it appears to be the only version available at the moment, other than updating from program.
Expected to see AWW in system tray and it wasn't there!
I assume the old version has been fixed as well.
Anyway, updated to 7.0.2.2 via the program and all seems well at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users