28 replies to this topic

#21 lee88

lee88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

How does one hide just that one without removing the ones I want to remain there?

yes you can hide it, but isn't it true that the more icons that need to be loaded, the ones by the clock in the lower right corner, the slower it takes for the computer to boot up? and so far, i don't see anyone from lavasoft addressing this issue.

#22 mike532

mike532

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:22 PM

Would be nice/proper if someone from Lavasoft would adderess this issue as I would prefer it not being part of my paid for program.
Anybody home/care that your users aren't quite satisfied ?

I've now logged in 4x to post an unanswered question -why is that?
Would be nice if they fixed the post count and and joined date too.

Edited by mike532, 30 August 2007 - 10:43 PM.

#23 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:35 AM

Before I post this, I will remind you that I am only a volunteer here in the forum and am not speaking on LS's behalf...

To quote my post in another Topic on the subject by lee88: So How Do We Remove Tray Icon, Lavasoft? We Don't Want It There!

Whilst I have only my own impressions as to the purpose of the aawservice icon -to enable licensed users to abort scheduled scans which from the greyed-out right-click context menu is obvious (though only in the future - not working for AAW 2007 Pro at this time) being one, to remind users that the service is running being another - I am mystified as to all the fuss over a sys-tray icon.

It is currently taking only 248k of memory on my system - an absolutely tiny amount and certainly not enough to affect any conceivable combination of other programs.

I do not wish to trivialise your concerns - I simply fail to see what the fuss is about. LS will no doubt shortly advise why it is there. Given the other posts that you mention, LS can hardly fail to be aware of current emotions on the subject.

One point to remember also - a major difference between AAW SE and AAW2007 is that in the first, there were seperate program executables for each version (AAW SE Personal/Plus/Pro) however in AAW2007, the same executable is used for all versions. To gain access to the enhanced functions of Plus/Pro, one enters a (licensed) Serial Number. (And that is not an invitation to all those with Serial # problems to jump into this topic :) ).

LS will hopefully make clear why this extra icon has been added - there has been too much discussion on the subject already, for them not to.

In the meantime, just remenber that it is a nuisance at worst, nothing else.

lee88 Posted Today, 07:31 AM
isn't it true that the more icons that need to be loaded .... the slower it takes for the computer to boot up?

Only marginally - literally a matter of seconds ... try and time it.

Regards,

Spike

#24 Lennart LS

Lennart LS

Former Lavasoft employee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:35 PM

To please you all, we have removed the icon from the icon tray. It will only show during a scheduled activity. That means, Free version users will not see this icon.

Please download the latest update using our update manager.

/The Good One

#25 Alith

Alith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:18 PM

To please you all, we have removed the icon from the icon tray. It will only show during a scheduled activity. That means, Free version users will not see this icon.

Please download the latest update using our update manager.

/The Good One

Thank You!

#26 triskaidekaphobia

triskaidekaphobia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:32 PM

Hi everybody, just thought I would give you my input on this topic. As far as I know, you can disable the Ad-Aware 2007 Service as follows:

Start -> Run
Type "services.msc"
Find "Ad-Aware 2007 Service"
Right click -> Properties
Change "Startup Type" to "Disabled"
Click Apply and OK
Close Services
Restart

That sorted it for me anyway.

Cheers

Edited by triskaidekaphobia, 04 September 2007 - 08:33 PM.

#27 Alith

Alith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:47 PM

Hi everybody, just thought I would give you my input on this topic. As far as I know, you can disable the Ad-Aware 2007 Service as follows:

Start -> Run
Type "services.msc"
Click Apply and OK
Close Services
Restart

Cheers

I never thought of doing that. With the update the icon is gone but aawservice is still loading (starting automatically.) Since the free version does not have the ability to do scheduled scans, is it okay to disable this service?

#28 Narc

Narc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:29 PM

Start -> Run
Type "services.msc"
Click Apply and OK
Close Services
Restart

Cheers

Thanks for your input. I used your advice because the process was using too much memory. Only instead of disabling the service I chose 'manual'. When disabled ad-aware wouldn't start (1810 error). Now I can close the process and it won't reappear without starting the application again.

#29 Alith

Alith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:07 AM

Well, I found out something.

I edited the Registry and got rid of the icon but then when I tried to open the program I received the following message:System error 1810 has occurred.
DESCRIPTION: Service is not online. Application terminates.

It would appear that if you don't have that process running then you can't use the program. I'll either go back to a previous version or re-install 2007 and take the icon.

Glad the update fixed this problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users