• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dreamspinner3

dreamspinner3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:44 PM

Ad-Aware won't allow me to change my internet start-up page from what it was when I installed Ad-aware. If I disable Ad-Watch, then I can change it, but when I reable Ad-Watch, it switches back to the old start page. How do I fix this?

#2 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:15 AM

From the FAQ page :wub:

To correct the problem, do the following:

* Start Ad-Watch, if it is not already running.
* Right-click on the Ad-Watch icon in the system tray (in the lower right corner by default) and then select "Ad-Watch Settings".
* At the bottom of the Ad-Watch window is an item labeled “Automatic�. Click on it to turn it into a red cross, i.e., turn off “Automatic�.
* Start Ad-Aware SE and click on the “Ad-Aware Configuration Window� icon.
* Click on “Startup� and make a change -- any change will do -- and click on “Proceed�. This will cause Ad-Watch to issue an alert notifying you of the change. Accept the change. In Ad-Aware SE set the startup options you want use.
* To prevent Ad-Aware SE from starting at boot time, under "Startup Scan Mode" select "No automated scanning".
* Make sure that the items under "Startup Action" and "Automatic Updating" have a red cross next to them, then click “Proceed�. Ad-Watch will again pop up an alert notifying you of the change.
* Accept the change. Ad-Watch will now accept the registry update and Ad-Aware SE will be configured not to start at boot time.
* At the bottom of the Ad-Watch window, turn on “Automatic�. The changes to the settings you made will now be accepted by both Ad-Watch and Ad-Aware SE.
* If you are running any other registry protection tools, you will need to accept their alerts as well during this process.
Please do NOT send Private Messages to Staff or helpers to request assistance! We do not give a personal support via PM The way to request help is to post a NEW TOPIC in the appropriate forum.

Look for the *New Topic* Button near the top right when viewing the forums.

Here in the forums, replies are posted to topics only. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Plus and Pro Ad-Aware users (only) may use the Support Center for personal assistance:
Support Center

Microsoft MVP/Windows - Security 2003-2009

#3 dreamspinner3

dreamspinner3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:36 PM

I followed your directions & they did not solve the problem. Ad-Watch still tries to change my start page back & the only way to prevent from happening now is to have Zone Alarm deny the change Ad-Adwatch wants to make.

From the FAQ page :)

To correct the problem, do the following:

* Start Ad-Watch, if it is not already running.
* Right-click on the Ad-Watch icon in the system tray (in the lower right corner by default) and then select "Ad-Watch Settings".
* At the bottom of the Ad-Watch window is an item labeled “Automatic�. Click on it to turn it into a red cross, i.e., turn off “Automatic�.
* Start Ad-Aware SE and click on the “Ad-Aware Configuration Window� icon.
* Click on “Startup� and make a change -- any change will do -- and click on “Proceed�. This will cause Ad-Watch to issue an alert notifying you of the change. Accept the change. In Ad-Aware SE set the startup options you want use.
* To prevent Ad-Aware SE from starting at boot time, under "Startup Scan Mode" select "No automated scanning".
* Make sure that the items under "Startup Action" and "Automatic Updating" have a red cross next to them, then click “Proceed�. Ad-Watch will again pop up an alert notifying you of the change.
* Accept the change. Ad-Watch will now accept the registry update and Ad-Aware SE will be configured not to start at boot time.
* At the bottom of the Ad-Watch window, turn on “Automatic�. The changes to the settings you made will now be accepted by both Ad-Watch and Ad-Aware SE.
* If you are running any other registry protection tools, you will need to accept their alerts as well during this process.

#4 Corrine

Corrine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:54 PM

Hi, dreamspinner3.

The primary step is to make sure you have "Automatic" turned off. My standard instructions follow.

In order to change your home/start page, you will need to do the following:
  • Right-click on the Ad-Watch icon in the system tray.
  • Select "Restore Ad-Watch"
  • Turn off (red cross) "automatic"
  • Change your home page
  • Click "Accept" to the Ad-Watch alarm as well as alerts by other security software (i.e., SpywareBlaster).
I recommend keeping "automatic" turned off. IMO, it is worth the extra clicks to accept changes when installing software or changing your home page and be in control of changes you wish made to your computer. If a browser hijack attempts to change your home page, you will be able to deny that change as easily as you accept the change when it is your choice.

#5 BeanieBabe

BeanieBabe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:38 PM

Hi,

I have a similar sounding problem. I can change my homepage in the Internet Explorer options and Apply/Ok all seem to be fine. However the new homepage change just gets lost.

I am using AdAware SE Personal so I don't have access to AdWatch to try out your suggested fix.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Jean :P

#6 Corrine

Corrine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 07:06 PM

Hi, Jean.

Try this:
  • Launch Ad-Aware SE
  • Click on the Gear icon to launch the Configurations Menu
  • Click Defaults
  • Under Default Settings
    • Type in the URL for your preferred start/home page
    • If you wish, add the URL for your preferred default search page
  • Click proceed
Keep in mind, however, that there is malware that can hijack your home page. If you continue to have problems, please start a new topic of your own and post an up-to-date full system scan Ad-Aware SE logfile for review.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users