• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 edelp

edelp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:04 AM

I am an user of Ad-Aware SE Personal. I bought the software Repair Registry Pro Version 1.2 from www.registryalert.com and I installed the mentioned software, which works fine. I scaned my computer with Ad-Aware SE Personal with the definitions file SE1R176 10.06.2007 and it appeared as if the Repair Registry Pro program were infected and that is not the case because I have scanned using my antivirus program from Symantec. I copy the details

REPAIRREGISTRYPRO
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
obj[13]=Regkey : SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\RepairRegistryPro.exe
obj[14]=Regkey : software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\repair registry pro
obj[15]=RegValue : software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\repair registry pro "UninstallString"
obj[16]=RegValue : software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\repair registry pro "DisplayIcon"
obj[17]=RegValue : software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\repair registry pro "DisplayVersion"
obj[18]=RegValue : software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\repair registry pro "URLInfoAbout"
obj[19]=RegValue : software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\repair registry pro "Publisher"
obj[20]=Regkey : software\repair registry pro
obj[21]=RegValue : software\repair registry pro "regcode"
obj[22]=RegValue : software\repair registry pro "DontStoreStats"
obj[23]=Folder : C:\Archivos de programa\Repair Registry Pro
obj[24]=File : c:\archivos de programa\repair registry pro\repairregistrypro.exe
obj[25]=File : C:\Documents and Settings\Administrador\Escritorio\Repair Registry Pro.lnk
obj[26]=File : C:\Documents and Settings\Administrador\Menú Inicio\Programas\Repair Registry Pro\Repair Registry Pro.lnk

I will appreciate very much an answer to this issue.

Thanks

#2 LS Andy

LS Andy

Lavasoft Staff/Forum Overlord

• Root Admin
  • 1534 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:10 AM

Hi edelp!

Thanks for the report. I can confirm that this is not a false positive - Repair Registry Pro 1.2 has been identified as a rogue registry cleaning application and has been in detection for a considerable time. The application's scan results are misleading and the program's reporting of the consequences of not 'repairing' the registry are exaggerated - this common tactic is used by many rogue security applications to convince users to purchase the full version of the program. Upon closer investigation of the actual scan results (which are difficult to read because of the poorly designed GUI), it is highly debatable whether the 'repair' of the detected registry elements actually have a postive effect on a PC.

The family description of RepairRegistryPro states that:

"Repair Registry Pro is a registry cleaning application of dubious repute. It has been reported as using deceptive means to install to user systems, specifically using the 'Windows Messenger Service' to issue warnings that Windows has found critical errors which require attention, and advising the user to download and install Repair Registry Pro. On installation, it will scan your system informing you of many errors and requiring payment to register and fix them."

Due to this behaviour, Repair Registry Pro has received a TAC index 4 and therefore is detected by Ad-Aware. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Andy
Lavasoft Research
unsolicited@tenalia.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users