• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 franktaplin

franktaplin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:39 PM

Iwas trying to uninstall Ad Aware 2007 and I received this error.

Error 1720: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

I looked at the other posts on the topic and tried following the instructions. The problem I ran into after downloading an intact version of the installer program was it gives me the message of :

Ad-Aware 2007 version 7.0.1.2 is already installed. You must uninstall the existing version before intstalling Ad-Aware 2007 Version 7.0.1.3. Do you want to uninstall the existing version of Ad-Aware 2007?

When I tried that I get the Error 1720 message and it brings me back to Do I want to uninstall the previous version.

I gave up on that anf tried to manually uninstall it. I ran the uninstall Tool from CCLeaner and it then allowed me to go in and manually delete the Ad Aware folder. then I ran the registry tool from CCleaner and removed the settings it found for AD Aware 2007. I restarted the computer but I run into the same issue of Ad Aware 2007 appearing in the start menu and Add/Remove programs with the 1720 error and I'm back to square one.

Any ideas?

#2 franktaplin

franktaplin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:44 PM

sorry forgot to add:

Emachine T2825 running Windows XP Home Service Pack 2. No antivirus installed yet. I was oroiinally trying to install Mcafee Total Protection 2007 on it for my client and Mcafee won't install unless I remove Ad Aware.

#3 ChasD

ChasD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:57 PM

It's the windows scripting engine that's damaged - namely the dl: scrrun.dll. Easy fix... reinstall the Windows Scripting Engine, link below:

http://www.microsoft...EB-95A22B832CAA

60 seconds and a reboot and you should be good to go/uninstall.

ChasD

#4 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:08 AM

Hi franktaplin,

I was oroiinally trying to install Mcafee Total Protection 2007 on it for my client and Mcafee won't install unless I remove Ad Aware.

For details on why McAfee won't play nice with Ad-Aware, please see my post at the end of this Topic: Uninstalation and fixing Registry, Need help with ad-aware uninstalation /McAfee virus scan issue

The regedit details are for AAW SE - should work the same for AAW 2007.

One way to remove AAW 2007 is to re-run the installer, which will bring up the following:

aaw2007Pro___repair.gif

Try selecting "Remove" - if it still gives you an error message, the select "Repair", rerun the installer and select "Remove".

Then follow the regedit instructions ( as always, be very careful when modifying the registry - do a reg backup first).

Regards,

Spike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users